Are you buying a GTX480 or 470? statistics poll

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by chispy, Mar 27, 2010.

?

Are you Buying a GTX480/470 ?

1. Yes , Buying a 480/470 only for Gaming.

21.0%
  2. Yes , Buying a 480/470 for Benching.

1.3%
  3. Yes , Buying a 480/470 for Folding.

0.2%
  4. Dont Know yet.

21.5%
  5. I will Not be Buying 480/470 for sure.

56.0%
  1. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    well one of the main things is the Nvidia Control Panel, kicks the **** out of CCC, once youve used it and go to CCC. You pretty much miss it like a dying love :nerd:
    plus the physx doesnt hurt either, along with how easy it is to force AA in games and having separate profiles for them and never having to go back into it to change it when i play something more stressful like Crysis then changing the settings again when i play something else

and once i get rid of the 5970, it wont really be that bad really

like i said, 5970 for sale ;D

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I pay 1c. ;-P

3. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
  4. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    A comma is the decimal point here but even then it's still 5 times too much IMHO. :cheers:

5. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    lol i dont even know if what i put was correct amount anyway >_>

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    That's what I just said. :p

7. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    just making sure you know ^_^

8. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I do, but we're off topic now lol.

9. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Surprised at the poles, still running my 8800 GTX. I do prefer Nvidia and am waiting for a dual GPU 480.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    From the looks of your avatar it doesn't seem like you need any money. So I will trade you this awesome USB cheesburger flash drive.

[​IMG]

11. Antarius

Antarius Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 280 SLI x 2
    I will definitely buy once the release rush is over.

12. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Made my decision today.
    Ordering a 5970 right now.

I'll upgrade again next generation (which may be nvidia if they shrink their die and up the speed)
    Gf has a 5870, I'll pass the 5970 on to her so she can tri-fire.
    It'll work out well all-around.

p.s.
    I had been waiting for the fermi all this time, and my intent was to buy a pair of the top end model.

I mention this because the "I will not buy a 480" poll is really two different polls :
    1) Was going to buy, but am not buying (lost cusomers)
    2) Was not going to buy regardless (makes no difference)

-scheherazade

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  13. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    lol i kinda want that >_>

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The best bang for the buck card right now is the 5850 in CF. It whoops the 480 at the same price with less power, heat. Its even almost on par with a 5970 which costs much more. I forsee a 5950 in the works to take on the 480 at same price or lower. That would pretty much pull the rug out from under Nvidias feet.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24061

15. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    I'm sticking with my 4870... which can still eat everything I throw at it.

I was planning to upgrade to ATI 5850 or Nvidia if their new card was good... was waiting for Fermi hoping to see a good card that would have forced ATI to drop their prices...

Unfortunately Fermi is a bad card... it doesn't suck... Nvidia 5xxx or ATI 2xxx sucked... this doesn't suck but still it's a so bad choice compared to current ATIs. This means prices will not drop for now... the funny thing is that ATI 5xxx are priced even higher than at launch!

Gonna wait a few more months, it's not that I couldn't afford the upgrade.. I just don't feel resonable to pay that much for a videocard.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010

16. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    I bought a GTX280 on launch, all Im saying

17. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    To say that the Nvidia GTX 480 is not such a good card is premature, it hasn't even been released yet and the drivers aren't mature yet. People compared the ATI 5870 to the Nvidia GTX 480 given the fact that the ATI drivers are miles ahead and have had half a year or more to mature, the GTX 480 drivers are a mess right now and I believe the GTX 480 will overtake or at the least match the ATI 5970 dual GPU card once the drivers have been better optimized! I feel strongly that the Fermi has some hidden potential through better mature drivers, I'm not an Nvidia fanboy it's just that's all I've ever known is Nvidia since the 6600GT. My reasoning has nothing to do with price to performance ratios or how hot the Fermi is, but pure performance.

Regards,
    Systemlord.

18. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    im not gonna get into the flame war,i will say that i voted to get a 480 and i did and im very happy with my purchase

19. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    Since they had 6 more months to work on their new card compared to ATI I would have expected a more balanced GPU.

But if, after 6 more months of working, to gain a small performace lead you have to push the card to very high temperatures and to higher TDP it means that card is bad and flawed (compard to the competion). And if you consider the higher overclockability of ATI 5850 and 5870 the performance lead is even smaller.

Since they had a lot of time to work on the card I guess the current drivers are already good enough... sure they will get improved and performace may raise a good bit... but this card will always remain extremely unefficient until a second revision will, evenutally, improve the power-performance ratio and will reduce the ridiculous amount of heat this card puts into your case.

We have to accept the fact that this card is a bad choice... it can happen... already happened to Nvidia in the past and also to ATI (2900xt sucked.... 1800xT also was a bad choice and things got good only with the 1900 series)

20. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    I hope a revision does come with improved temps and overclockability, remember the first 8800 GTX cards that came out? They ran hot.