Modding / Overclocking Fake Nvidia GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Peers, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Peers

Peers New Member

GPU:
    FX5200
    Hi All,

Won't bother with the details but I have ended up with a GFX card that is supposed to be an AGP Nivdia Geforce 7950 GT with 512 Mb of DDR3 Ram - Which I am now sure is a fake / clone. Pretty sure it came from behind that big wall that you can see from space.

Now I can understand Nvidia not wanting their professional boards to be devalued and making it impossible for their home / desktops to be modded but I can't see a reason for a cloner / pirate bothering to go to that level of removing links / jumpers - after all they've stolen the technology anyway.

My question is can a fake chip be modded is so how and can it be overclocked with any degree of success?

[​IMG]

Here is a screenshot from a GPU monitor,

Anyone got any ideas

Peers

2. fwb73

fwb73 Member

GPU:
    XFX5850 1GB BE
    what makes you think its a fake? i seriously doubt that the gpu is fake (no-one is going to go to the lengths required in r&d to make one)... probably just a cheap no name board...
    we all know that china produces lots of fake phones, memory card etc, but to make a fake nvidia gpu is just daft. If they had the ability to make a fake 7xxx then they would either manufacture their own range of gpus or clone something more current.

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Lol, a fake gpu.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=geforce+7950+AGP+specs

This might actually be the fastest AGP card on the planet :O
    Because the x1950pro is fake, I'm just so sure of it as you are ;)

Just use RivaTuner for overclocking, btw

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  4. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    looks real to me...

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    You cant get fake GPUs... not ones that work anyway

6. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
  7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    This thread made me lol, thanks for making my day.

8. Peers

Peers New Member

GPU:
    FX5200
    I should have been more precise in saying copy or clone rather than fake though as far as Nvidia is concerned it is a fake.

Why am I so sure - Firstly the card has Nvida printed all over it and the fan but components are differerent style from a genuine Nvida card. Driver CD very poor quality printing. When you fire the card up the screen stays blank - you get no graphics /text bios version or anything just a black screen till your PC POST test.

It may be that someone has just got their hands on a pile of Nvidia chips, decided to do a little overclocking of their own but why try and pass the off as Nvidia????? just the name perhaps.

Thanks

9. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    its a really old card, the way its made is gonna seem odd and drivers from even stuff from today is poor/low res quality, for example my MOBO's driver disc. i mean, have you really tried using it? and if you have a C2D your MOBO should have a PCIE slot, use it >_>

10. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    @Peers
    you have any pics of the card?

11. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Someone could have customized the BIOS?

I never use driver CD's myself, it could be gold-plated with a holographic movie of Jen-Hsun Huang, and I'd still get my drivers from the website.

The circuit board's of the cards are not made by Nvidia, those are made by the board partners, XFX, MSI, Jaton, eVGA, and the like.

I had an MSI 6600GT that had a red circuit board and the worst cooler ever. If it powers your display, reports as a 7950GT, and runs games, I'd say you have a darn fine card there.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  12. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    U cant get fake cards///

13. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Maybe its a no name brand that are not using reference board design. There no need to scream fake yet.

14. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    the link said they are XFX and you should go to xfx site and get the drivers for it from them as the reveiw said you should not get them from nvidia site for this model.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  15. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    What?

16. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
    it might be a pre-production board that got out to the public. Or like someone said above, a modded/flashed bios.

17. Peers

Peers New Member

GPU:
    FX5200
    I have got to accept the fact that whatever I have be it genuine Nvdia chip or not - It is a fast AGP GPU which is what I wanted. Sure it's not as fast as PCI express but it's damned close to it - Here is screenshot of my lappy 9750 GT GO

[​IMG]

When running 3d mark lappy scores about 19,000 and Desktop score 15,000
    it's taked my windows index from 2.6 to 5.9

Lappy got 4MB ram and desktop only got 2mb

If there is anyone else out there who stuck with an AGP mobo who wants more GFX oomf then this is the way to go.

As regards photo's look on ebay for AGP 9750 GT and look at the ones originating in Hong Kong buy it now around £60

As regards modding / overclocking , I think I'll leave well alone but will probably get a better fan as my PC stay's on all day and I don't trust the bearings to last very long - looks VERY cheap

Thanks for all the help

Peers