i7 920@4ghz 24/7 - cant run games with thesesettings??

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by crabman, Mar 27, 2010.

1. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    HI Guys
    I have noticed its relatively easy to overclock to 4ghz with the i7 920 but I cant seem to play games with this overclock, all games eventually give me a bsod, I wanted to ask is this pretty common,
    did manage to encode a few films and no crashes, i imagine games are a little more demanding,be good to know if this has happened to other users,cheers in advance for any responses.
    regs
    paul

2. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    sounds like you need more voltage somewhere. I have no problems at 4ghz

3. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    hi

hi
    hi
    my vcore is 1.22 idle temps are between 38-41c under load 53-56 , cooling i have corsair H50
    MY RAM IS SET at 8-8-8-24 1440mhz, 1.65v cpu 21x190, seem to be getting alot of bsod under windows 7,
    thought it might be the gpu drivers, tried 4 and the same happens whatever i use,
    I have noticed no problems under xp, been playing tonight as i have dual systems, still like xp, lots of quirks in windows 7 which can be resolved under xp,been running 21x140 and ram 10-10-10-24 1960mhz and its rock solid under xp,ran 3dmark06 and no crashes,
    maybe its windows 7, just glad i have xp on a partition and all seems good,not pushed the cpu yet.
    will running the ram at these settings put some heat through the cpu.noticed that on 1.1 vcore 3ghz=.temps are the same when i was running 1.22 @ 4ghz
    hope that helpsexplain what i have a little more,
    regs
    paul

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    wat is ur QPI voltage? also ICH and IOH

5. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    hi

I have not changed these, what can i change them to sensibly to help with stability, i did try once to up all these a little and system did not boot, be good to know what I can change these to without it having a negative effect on the system.cheers in advance

this is what happened this morning,lol,

would not boot this morning,even with a modest overclock,lots of bsod,
    cpu@ 3.15 ram at 1500mhz 10-10-10-24 kept crashing on me,when overclocking whats the best things to turn off,what do i not need on in the bios,the most elementary changes,never had so much instability,
    beginning to think something is faulty with my rig.cheers ago for the tip.
    regs
    paul

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ICH and IOH to 1.1v
    QPI to 1.3v maybe even 1.35 if you really need it

those should help stable the overclock, usually u need to bump the QPI voltage up to get stable, u need this as the bclk gets higher

something u might wanna try is dropping the uncore multi as well, this should help stabilise the system, u only need it to be at least 2x that of the ram, so with the bclk at 190 u could try

ram:190x8 = 1520
    uncore: 190x16/17 = 3040/3230

7. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    many thanks dude,
    I will give that a go now and see what happens,appreciate you taking the time to help me.
    regs
    paul

8. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    dude

I did as you said 16x190 giving me 3040ghz
    upped the ich to 1.1 ioh to 1.1 qpi to 1.2950 - lowered uncore multi to 8 ran ram at 1520 9-9-9-27
    ran ortheos for 10 mins, i know its not long but a rough guide,no errors,maybe i should go and try under windows 7,thats where most of my bsod are from.i will let you know how i get on.

ps. is there anytng in the bios i should definitely disable and anything which should always be enabled,cheers again.
    regs
    paul

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    that uncore multi should be at 16, so itz double that of the ram, do u mean the ram multi is at 8?

disable power saving features for now, and try enabling load line calibration so there is less vdroop in windows

u should be able to run this with sum tinkering
    core clock: 4Ghz
    uncore clock: 3040Mhz
    ram: 1520Mhz

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    hi

i have that uncore multi at 17
    I read somewhere that it should be x2 +1 as i have it at 8x 190 thats how i end up with 17, is this not right, what are the power saving features that need to be disabled,cheers for the line calibration tip.will do that aswell

whats really weird dude is that when i first built the computer, i had it 24/7 @4ghz 20x200 and the ram @1600 8-8-8-24 then i installed some 2133 dual ram( kingston) impulse spending, could only get it to 1900mhz so i took it out and went back to triple set but its not been the same since, i have cleared cmos but its a different animal now,lol,
    talk soon dude
    regs
    paul

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    oh yeh 17 is fine, if ur ram multi is on 8, I got a bit confused there, disable C1E, EIST, C2/C7 (asnd speedstep, tho this might be the same as EIST), you can re-enable them later if you want to, once all is stable

hmm not really sure y u can't get back to ur 4Ghz then, u can try putting CPU PLL to 1.88 (wouldn't go much higher), ICH core +IOH core to 1.2 if u are still having problems, but these voltages are less of a factor than, QPI and VCore

I have a C0 stepping i7 rock solid at 3.8Ghz so u shuldn't have too much trouble getting back dude

12. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    dude
    I will apply those settings,and see what happens,is there some hidden features on the ud5, think when you go into bios,hotkey and it lets you see some more settings,cant remember what it is,got it at 3ghz in windows 7 and everything seems ok, keep playing dirt 2 and see if it behaves,many thanks for your help,it is much appreciated.
    regs
    paul

ps. my gts 250 still plays all the games,no need to spend 400 quid on 480 or 5900series

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    There are hidden settings. I dont remember hte key combo to unhid them. I havent used a gigabyte mobo in ages. I think its Ctrl+F1 or something while in the main bios menu. Its a combination like that.

I really wished they stop doing this.