I7 920 4ghz - ok 4 benchies but not playing games

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by crabman, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    HI Guys
    I have noticed its relatively easy to overclock to 4ghz with the i7 920 but I cant seem to play games with this overclock, all games eventually give me a bsod, I wanted to ask is this pretty common,
    did manage to encode a few films and no crashes, i imagine games are a little more demanding,be good to know if this has happened to other users,cheers in advance for any responses.
    regs
    paul

2. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    What are your voltages? What are your temps? What kind of cooling are you using?

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Your oevrclock is unstable. Heat/voltage/other problems.

Use Prime95, Intel Burn Test, LinX to test if your system is stable.

No problems here with i7 920 @ 4,4GHz.

4. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    hi

hi
    my vcore is 1.22 idle temps are between 38-41c under load 53-56 , cooling i have corsair H50
    MY RAM IS SET at 8-8-8-24 1440mhz, 1.65v cpu 21x190, seem to be getting alot of bsod under windows 7,
    thought it might be the gpu drivers, tried 4 and the same happens whatever i use,
    I have noticed no problems under xp, been playing tonight as i have dual systems, still like xp, lots of quirks in windows 7 which can be resolved under xp,been running 21x140 and ram 10-10-10-24 1960mhz and its rock solid under xp,ran 3dmark06 and no crashes,
    maybe its windows 7, just glad i have xp on a partition and all seems good,not pushed the cpu yet.
    will running the ram at these settings put some heat through the cpu.noticed that on 1.1 vcore 3ghz=.temps are the same when i was running 1.22 @ 4ghz
    hope that helpsexplain what i have a little more,
    regs
    paul

5. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    Give the CPU a little more volts.. 1.25 - 1.27 and see if that helps.

6. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Ditto that. My runs at 1.27v flawlessly.

7. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    hi

I will give that a go, would not boot this morning,even with a modest overclock,lots of bsod,
    cpu@ 3.15 ram at 1500mhz 10-10-10-24 kept crashing on me,when overclocking what the best things to turn off,what do i not need on in the bios,the most elementary changes,never had so much instability,
    beginning to think something is faulty with my rig.cheers ago for the tip.
    regs
    paul

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.