GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. TurboGuard

TurboGuard Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 285
    God, what are you, 12?
    Sometimes I'm embarrassed to admit I even come to this website anymore.

2. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ur welcome to leave

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    TurboGuard, how is asking for an apology being childish.

No one is twisting your arm so why bother coming here if you think like that.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, well it's not the first time you've bad-mouthed the site and trolled people on the boards, maybe you should just gtfo if you don't like it here.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    37 years young of age thank you !

No seriously, if people call me out and make me out to be a liar I then what ? Should just bend over and take the kick time after time ... I mean come on. Apparantly everybody can say and shout everything in here except the owner of these forums.

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I think that decision will be made for him, and for that I am grateful.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Hilbert I think most of us respect the fact you backed up the review with video evidence so quickly, not that we doubted you anyway :p

Also noticed that the 480 is idling at 3c lower than my GTX260 is at the moment, so that is a bonus considering i already have a good amount of case cooling.

8. TurboGuard

TurboGuard Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 285
    You stay classy, guru3d.com.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The problem I have with getting one is the heat. It seems completely uncontrollable, especially if you wanna overclock. My 5770s never ramp up, really at all, and stay below 85C at all times. I would be fighting to have a 470 or 480 under 90 with one of the loudest fans ever.

I think that is really the only thing keeping me from buying a 470.

10. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It's generally a bad idea to compare dB values across different reviews due to different testing methodology, base configurations and ambient noise. Looking through the reviews it seems most are pegging the 4x0 cards at a 2-6 dB over the 58x0 cards, which is noticeable but a far cry from the 20-40 dB differences you get when comparing data from different reviews.

Indeed most reviews fail to provide even usable subjective sound measurements as they don't rely on keeping the ambient sound level silent. For example, if your rig sans GPU output 40 dB under load with CPU, fans, disks etc. an actually silent GPU cooling solution would be thoroughly bummed anyway. And pretty pointless as well. :)

*shrug* During the last 7 years I've yet to hear an active reference cooler with a noise level that I'd consider acceptable for human usage, regardless of camp. Of the cards I've had to endure myself the AMD ones have generally been the worst offenders so I suppose it's only fair that nVidia be given some slack with reference cooling noise.

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Nah man, I'm pretty sure that it's a lot more than 0.000000000001% who are Nvidia fanboys to such a degree :puke2:

12. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    We will, it doesn't get much classier than the OWNER of a website backing up an argument with a soon to be banned tool within 10 minutes, have fun in obscurity, I'm sure Hilbert is kicking back right now enjoying some add revenue money from this site which was built from the ground up.

13. Shocky-XL

Shocky-XL Member

GPU:
    POV GTX280
    Clearly test conditions are completely different but since no comparisions have done to other cards there useless for me to draw any conclusions from.

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  15. Shocky-XL

Shocky-XL Member

GPU:
    POV GTX280
    Look back over results from most sites and they retest all the cards to ensure testing conditions are the same so at least we have some consistency.

16. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Hilbert is right, you whiners are wrong. What kind of hardware site would hold the sound measurer DIRECTLY beside the card!? That's just ****ing retarded.

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    If the room temperature is identical, and the measuring distance is identical, and there is no background noise then that is pretty consistent if you ask me.

Load noise level:

5850 ~41-42dBA
    5870 ~42dBA
    5970 ~45dBA
    GTX 470 ~42dBA
    GTX 480 ~45dBA
    GTX 295 (single PCB) ~42-43dBA
    GTX 295 (dual PCB) ~45-46dBA

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This is our regular test-method. Nothing is different .. hasn't been for years. Now I advise you to simply drop it. You had your say, I tried to (actually did) proof otherwise, you remain stubborn about it.

We'll leave it at that.

19. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Not too bad, not too good either. A bit too loud for my taste, I have the Obsidian on my table next to me so it would be quite a bit louder for me.

20. Shocky-XL

Shocky-XL Member

GPU:
    POV GTX280
    I guess I just have to take your word for that, so now I have to dig through old reviews to find these results. Since the testing methods and conditions are apparently the same couldn't you have included all the results to avoid us having to do this?