GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. sharkchu12

sharkchu12 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 590 & GTX260+ PhysX
    Totally, Unimpressed. Totally, Not Worth the Wait. I felt scammed... Time to wait for red team refresh.

2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    you know what? i second that!.... if u wanna have an Nvidia gpu in your rig that's the Geforce 470...:biggun:

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I've been touching up on the reviews myself and for good or ill the results pretty much confirm with my initial guess, roughly the same performance advantage as the 285 had over the 4890 back in the day.

That's not bad, certainly, and that qualifies the 480 as the highest-performing single GPU card. Much like the 5870 were at release and up until today.

However, there are some caveats.
    • Heat. The cards are absurdly hot, which will put a strain on both the GPU itself as well as other components.
    • Power. Less of an issue on its own than heat but it's still a backwards trend. The 5k-series made a lot of headway over the 4k so it's sad to see this development.
    • Noise. Less a concern for some people perhaps but I'm very sensitive to noise myself. Do note that 10Db equals twice the noise.
    • Price. The real deal-breaker for most of us. Enthusiast hardware is expensive to be sure but the 480 especially doesn't fall under the curve gracefully.
    Added to all that there's the last component that puts it all in perspective.

Time.

Neither the 470 nor the 480 are bad cards, indeed they're better than I feared after the last months worth of FUD, but being half a generation newer than the 5k-series it's fair to say I, for one, expected a lot more.

I don't expect anyone, especially not the frothing-at-the-mouth fanboys, to take my word for the 400-series being fail though. It's something each and everyone has to decide for themselves, obviously, but there's a compelling argument in support of that notion that transcends both technical merits and opinion...

AMD isn't lowering the prices of the 5k-series in response.

If you ever were in doubt about the significance, or lack thereof, of a product I'd say the only competition being quite happy with the performance and pricing of their own products when it's half a generation behind is a good indication.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm not going to buy any current gen DX11 card. I'm definitely going to skip this generation.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's all good. This is actually a great situation for all of us as I'm sure now both driver teams are working their butt-off to maximise performance. I anticipate Nvidia being very aggressive and very competitive within a few months. Not that they're not competitive now, but, looking at the games they've obviously optimized, I think there is potential to be unlocked for both GTX470/480.

Also, don't forget the 512sp card would have closed any gap's even further (albeit probably not enough to beat 5970 consistantly). While dissapointed in there being no 512sp cards on offer, it looks like Nvidia knows what they're doing. For single gpu Nvidia owners looking to upgrade the 2 new cards are awesome options!

Sadly, the Sli and Crossfire crowd should pass this round...and probably next round (6000series) aswell.

6. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    my opinion:

480 is fast, but 2x5870 is undoubtly faster as 5870 cf is way faster than 5970.
    i think 5870 price will decrease. i bought ore when the card came out and i payed 340 €. pick two of em and you'll be 680€ which is just 180€more than a 480 and will be significantly faster. plus if you think about power consumption you will save money on your bill and have a faster setup. sure a 480SLI will beat a 5870cf but at that price you'll probably get a trifire 5870. and i think the trifire will consume less and generate way less heat.

i don't really see the point of the 480...yeah is fast but even a 5850 cf (same price btw) will beat it, generating less heat and consuming waaaaay less.

7. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Nvidia boys are all defensive the minute someone says anything negative, like its a new born baby.

Neutral boys who just enjoy new technology are goin "Nice figures, bit of a let down considering we waited so long"

ATI boys are takin pot shots at anything they can as if that new born is the son of Hitler.

[​IMG]

Some people are buying it Regardless.

Some people can't afford it.

Some people already have 5xxx so needn't bother.

Just Chillax, every new piece of tech is great in my book :bounce:

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    great review, great cards, i agree the gtx480 is the fastest single card right now, but the power consumption, heat and price make it, not worth..ati will raise the clocks and it will gain does couple of fps lost in some games..fermi, sad to say didn't changed my opinion on my future upgrade, still going with an hd 5850..or i'm gonna wait for the next dx11 generation..at the end of the year..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. =DB4D=Zim

=DB4D=Zim Member

GPU:
    Asus 5870
    Just looking at the prices in the UK on OCuk
    the cheapest 470 is priced exactly the same as the cheapest 5870 £309 inc vat :puke2:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-123-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1502
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-018-SK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1750

and the most expensive non water cooled OCed 5870 is £10 more then the most expensive 470 non OCed

are we agreed that the 5870 is better (on average) than the 470

if the pricing stays as it is Nvidia have shot themselves in the foot and are relying on PhysX and CUDA thd 3D vision to win people over

the price also raises another point
    looking at this it suggests to me that the 470 is ment to go toe to toe with the 5870 not the 5850 (like the 260 vs the 4870) if that is the case its a bit of a fail IMO
    would this not be a better comparrison for a 470 vs a 5870

10. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Agreed. It's like so many people speculated; too hot and too expensive for the performance numbers. It only wins on tesselation, but not even that much in regular games; only in benchmarks - where the tesselation is exaggerated for the purpose of benchmarking...

And ATI will probably soon be releasing a refresh...

I'm jus' sayin'; it's a huge letdown considering how long we waited... I guess all the secrecy should have been a clue...

In my book, the 480 is slower than the HD5870 by a small margin. Why? Because Vantage matters more than many of these games; some of them are optimized for Nvidia hardware (take Crysis - always performed best on Nvidia hardware for no apparent reason), and some of the benchmarks / games are only meant to show off exaggerated tesselation.

11. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    so we can say that GTX 480 is 10% faster than ATi HD5870.
    this is not gain that we were waiting for. this series have been delayed so much... this is really hard time for Nvidia. ATi won fight in first GPUs of DX11 generation.

I don't think it was good idea for Nvidia to hide their top product with 512 shaders, it would be better if they have released it now and got higher performance numbers against ATi, it would help whole GTX 400 series.

making this kind of chip (huge), Nvidia was hoping to be faster then ATi's top Dual GPU solution, they didn't plan to release dual GPU card, but now they may have to do it, and they will have to fight with that heat issues.
    Fist time in such a long period, ATi is a little bit ahead, they have more time to prepare for HD6000 series.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nvidia have always priced their cards higher, they obviously don't think they have to beat ATI's pricing since they know the cards will sell anyway.

Plus they invest so much money into things like TWIMTBP, PhysX that they probably can't undercut ATI.

The Vantage thing is no doubt a driver bug anyway, probably the same one causing the low FPS at higher resolutions, im sure things will change alot in the next few weeks.

13. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    And in some benchmarks, specifically my favourite (Vantage), you see the 5870 "raping" the 480 (just using your words for what I imagine you meant to call "being marginally better"). We need for someone to chunk out some average numbers, combining all the benchmarks and games which aren't best optimized for ATI or Nvidia cards specifically, and which do not rely on PhysX or tesselation too heavy (normal tesselation is fine - but take the Unigine benchmark, that's just too exaggerated).

That'd give us some true numbers :)

14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    so fail to me

and as I've read on other site, noise level is TOO high, its audible with HEADPHONES!! WTF?

hey, u know, little oc, temps with 95-100 celcius, water cooling,, and u can heat ur home with it :D

btw, didn't no one noticed, that single 480 eats more watts than double chiped 5970?

15. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    well the GTX 470 is about equal to a 5850 yet in the UK the GTX470 is £310 and a 5850 is £220

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How could it be audible over headphones? Even my 8800GT, was inaudible over headphones at 100% fan, and there is no way the 480 is as loud as that.

If you believe that, you will believe anything:wanker:

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=19

reading is believe-ing :)

" 64.1dB the GTX 480 is the loudest single-GPU card, beating out even our unreasonably loud 4890"

18. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Yep, price / performance ratio isn't right, hopefully the prices will settle down a bit (sorry a LOT!). Am also concerned about the pricing of the GTS 250 when that comes out :(

Comprehensive review though, thanks Hilbert :)

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Going by that logic.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/13

20. VTard

VTard Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH5850
    64dB?! That's just monstrous. Though I suppose having a computer that roars that loud is sexy in its own way. :D