EA To Charge For Game Demos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I think EA are pushing it. It's not a bad idea to release an episode of the full game for a cost, then fix the bugs or anything that people dislike, but to release a game at full price after the pdlc, to me thats getting greedy. If they were to include a voucher to redeem the money spent on the pdlc to put towards any future EA game wouldn't be so bad.

2. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I´ll just say, that is just plain stupid idea... Why would i pay to test a game, to see, if it´s any good for me? If it´s good, i´d still have to pay full game prize?
    And if not a game for me, i just wasted cash for absolutely nothing, well thought EA... Just my 2cents

Edit, did some reading on posts before, well, that was what instantly came to my mind, didn´t read other ppl´s posts, thats kinda common from me, and then i edit my posts later :p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Arg! He just said what I said a couple pages back!

At least he mentioned me in it anyway. I get credit via association.

4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    LOL, this belongs in the fail thread!

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I know, maybe you just caught some people while they where in an argumentative mood :)
    The link to the updated original article probably helped though.

Anyone else here getting frustrated by so many threads that have multiple pages of incorrect assumptions, complaining and sometimes just downright insults, all based only on the thread title, and not actually the article.

6. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I'm mad at myself because my friend told me that I was wrong when I linked to him the article, what he read was the updated version

I hate the internet for being so gossipy, but with EA there's plenty of reason to be mad to go around!

7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Hahahaha, one more reason to hate EA.
    They ****ed my loved series called NFS from Carbon to Shift (specially shift, because it ****ed up optimization on ati cards and REALLY ****ie gameplay)
    And now this.
    The only thing worth now is the new NFS World Online (I've been in the beta and is awesome :D) that, it will be FREE, yes FREE to Play and Download.
    But, everything else is complete fail and crap.

Edit: I just see that they will no charge for demos, but i still hate them :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Damn MerolaC, you will be in the minority here with NFS, myself and many other consider Carbon to be complete garbage, i even preferred Undercover, but in general open world street racing games got boring years ago with NFS Most Wanted.

NFS World Online sucks at the moment, it had dated visuals, is far too easy to control, and its near impossible to crash, and who said it was going to be free, it will be subscribtion based like WOW etc...

proFits, i honestly have nothing against EA, they have done me no harm, they are greedy, and do like to milk franchises, but more often than not, i enjoy their games.
    All devs/publishers are greedy, some just hide it better, i.e. Valve.

9. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    He said it nicer. :) You sounded like a grumpy old man screaming "HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN."
    ;)

10. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I have a bunch of those games in my collection (I pay for all my games) that are stamped with that darned EA sign most of them I don't really regret buying, but i don't think they deserved the release-date prices i paid

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

12. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Imagine they charge you for the 1-2 hour gameplay intro for quarter of the game? They are essentially charging you a 'longer than usual demo' that use for hyping the games pre-sale to boost sale.

Also, most people are base on the article before the update from EA, EA didn't mention they will still release traditional demo beforehand so people are jumping the gun on the issue.

They are trying to release episodic chapter (related or unrelated to the main story) for a game that is less than a game with way less content (how good and how much content is not known other than it is less than the actual game). So basically they are jacking up the price of the DLC for more content, I would say the price and the size of the PDLC are between traditional DLC (traditional??) and a game expansion.

Not saying it is good or bad. I see the pre-release stuff is their marketing scheme, they are basically transferring part of their marketing expend to the customer. (I doubt the money they get from the pre-release will cover even 10% of their expenditure on marketing)

13. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    isn't DEMOS = "pre-release premium DLC"? lol.

so you feel comfortable paying for something called a pre-release premium DLC. but not when it's called a demo?

again, this is what bioware's doing with DA:O and DA:A.

with this scheme, we gamers pay a lot more for what the whole game should really be. instead of companies releasing the game as complete for 40~50, they slice that up into "full game"+DLC+DLC+DLC which ultimately sums up greater than 40~50.

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Only a couple people here said they would buy it, I won't, but it doesn't mean EA is doing anything evil. And you don't even know what PDLC entails.

And Dragon Age was a full game on its own.

15. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Thats EA for you folks.
    LOL, EA & EA sports is one of the worse gaming companies around IMO.
    It all started with killing the NFL GAMING SCENE

16. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    the words "premium" and "traditionally" are all subjective and relative terms.

which demos are traditional, and which games would later be considered traditional? I doubt any of the big titles would be considered traditional.

define what content is premium or "premium pre-release DLC". how does it differ from the regular demos we have today. if it's not far, then it's a demo and should be free.

@IPlayNaked
    it was, at least that's what BioWare marketed it as. but with the FAST and NUMEROUS releases of this so-called DLCs and "expansion" (DA:A) i can't help but think that those DLCs (inluding DA:A) we're already done and ready during the release of DA: O. but instead of us getting the whole thing into one neat package, they chopped it up into "retail" + DLCs.

17. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Although I think the DLC are lame, I would blame EA for it. At least I got my free DLC for ME2 from time to time (due to cerberus network). I tend to be more forgiving if it is related to Bioware. Reason being is, they make quality games and that I don't mind the hassle. But for Ubisoft and EA? Their games are ****ty port and a renew database every year with little improvement. Not worth the full price and def not worth the hassle to play them.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It mentions 3-4 hours of content, 90% of demo's provide 15-30mins of content, so quite different.

DLC is always pre-planned these days, its a huge revenue stream for them, and also a way to get people to hold onto the game instead of selling it on.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think they're just testing us to see our reaction.

All comes down to cash. Like Pre-paid DLC before game release.

Or special horse armour.

20. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    Are they going to pay people to report glitches?