ATI HD5xxx series, EPIC FAIL series. Post your problems here! Will ATI do NOTHING?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PlatoonSgtElias, Mar 19, 2010.

?

Do you have problems with the new HD5xxx series? Artifacts, Lock Ups, GSOD.

1. Yes I have

16.3%
  2. No I havent

65.5%
  3. I just want to see the results

18.2%
  1. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    no problems here with my 5770 ^^ ! all drivers working with no problems 9.12 and UP! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

2. Kanemura

Kanemura Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB
    5770, no issues yet for me either. Works great in every game I've tried on it.

3. h2on0

h2on0 Member

GPU:
    ati 2 x 5870
    I vote EPIC WIN. Sometimes with Metro2033 when a granade goes off i go down to 30fps but then I go back up to 100(Everything maxed of course)

WOOT!

edit: to be fare I probably average 60 to 70 fps.

4. Donkeylips

Donkeylips Member

GPU:
    2x POWERCOLOR pcs+ 5770
    still has terrible performance in older opengl games

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010

5. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I love how armchair thermal engineers think they they know it all....... So are you saying they just "forgot" to put them on. :stewpid:

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Anyway nobody should expect a THQ games using Stalker engine will work normaly at release...

7. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Don't blame ATi for your problems but instead blame yourself as everyone haven't had serious problems with ATi card(if accidentally got defective card/problems , just RMA or seek experts advice). I am nvidia fanboy from the start until I fed up with fermi launching date and switch to ATi, and really i satisfied with ATi product although this is 1st time im using their card. No problems at all for me...

Nobody is perfect..

8. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Chiming in as one of the happy ATI owners.

This round I've got a 5970, replacing a 4870X2, which replaced the 3870X2, which replaced the 2900XT, which replaced the 1900XT, which replaced the 800XT, which replaced the 9800XT, which replaced....which replaced...

Here's the deal (from my perspective) - I've been with ATI for many years, and most of what I see in terms of problems usually comes down to end-user error.
    Sometimes it IS driver issues - usually because the end-user failed to do a correct install of newer drivers.
    Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't real problems that happen on the hardware OR the software side. I've seen plenty of hardware fail right out of the box, let alone after someone gets a hold of it and does who-knows-what to it.

Being on the 'bleeding edge' of the hardware scene, we're like Beta Testers, except WE pay to do it.
    Why do you think that ATI is recently releasing 'beta' drivers, where they haven't slipped a single pre-release in years?? Because they want US to beta test them for them. Think nVidia is different? They release every nightly build for a reason.

IMO, ATI drivers are rarely to blame for problems encountered on ATI hardware. In over 15 years of being on the red side, I have yet to have a problem that wasn't created by myself. This doesn't bar the random bad batch of hardware that somehow slipped past QC and made it to my hands...and there's nothing that anyone can do about those kinds of things aside from RMA the part.

Perhaps a poll isn't the best thing to persuade a person here at Guru3D, since not everyone has a 5970, but considering the current results and reading though the other posts in this thread, it really looks just like I said; that user-error is the most common culprit in problems with ANY kind of hardware/drivers.

Psychlone

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That card doesn't come with sinks.

10. maddy2012

maddy2012 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Just get a flickering screen on a couple of Bad Company 2 maps, that's about it.

Runs everything else spot on.

11. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I've been switching back and forth between Nvidia and ATI throughout the years. I was going to get a GTX 270, but the store I was buying from had a 1-2 month wait for it, so I went back to ATI and got a 5870 and I've been very pleased with it. :)

The only problem I had was when my cat ran behind my computer and disconnected the HDMI cable from the back. So I turned it off, reconnected the cable, and turned the PC back on, only to find Horizontal lines going across the screen. I had a spare DVI to HDMI cable laying around so I hooked that up and the problem was solved, which goes back to Psychlone's above post...except it was more of a feline error...and of course mine too for not pushing my computer back far enough. :)

Really though, when it comes down to it..I'll choose what brand works best, and of course the 2 month wait didn't help any. Either way, I'm very pleased with my 5870 and I plan to buy another in 6-8 months when it becomes financially viable to increase the awesomeness. I just hope the Phenom II won't choke up too bad. 3-4 years down the road when I decide to upgrade again it'll all come down to what company puts out the better product.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  12. DrLightman

DrLightman Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 XT
    Had GSODs, fixed by undercloking memory by 125MHz. I refuse to lose time RMAing.

13. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Seems to be a common problem because I have that issue too but on a 4xxx series card.

14. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    give it to obama im sure he can fix it fixes everything lololololol

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    The texture flickering only affects CrossFire users. DICE released a build back in the beta that resolved the issue, but it looks like they rolled the build back a couple versions with the retail release.

16. XeonX2

XeonX2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    like wise the chips are bare if you think it needs a thermal pad on it then go put some besides ram dun heat up as fast as the gpu does...

17. bowenac

bowenac New Member

GPU:
    XGX HD5870
    This is my first post so hello.

I just wanted to say that I am right there with the OP. I have had nothing but problems with this 5870.

The first problem I was having was flickering monitors and was active in another thread on another forum. Well an ATI rep had us all flash the bios on are cards because the BIOS was not supplying enough voltage or something. Well that is odd something they should have found in testing.

Now I have been getting atikmpag.sys BSOD which from ATI is to hard to test because it is a generic error so they can't test it. Well that seems odd doesn't it.

BFBC2 has been crashing a lot lately mostly to desktop but sometimes to the atikmpag.sys BSOD. Now something does not seem right. I am running 10.3a. Anyways before this card I always used Nvidia before this I was running 260's SLI and never had any problems at all.

The other day someone told me to raise my fan speed, I really did not want to try that because with the previous ATI drivers I think it was 10.1, and 10.2 it would cause tearing when moving windows around. This was a common problem that a lot of people were having. And this would happen just by enabling ATI overdrive.

I just wanted to say there are obvious issues with these drivers. Yes I am sure they will get sorted out but it just seems like they don't really test that much.

And it also seems like there are a lot of well fanboys on hear and for some reason I doubt as many people that say yea my card has no problems and yea I have had some GSOD but it is working fine haha. I don't consider that as working fine.

18. tykjen

tykjen Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    considering all the people who DONT have probs, and the minority of those that do have problems..its an easy assumption to make; faulty users.

19. Solid004

Solid004 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    SAPPHIRE 5850 1GB working damn good here :)

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    The OP does not even have issues with the card, he is just sad because his e-pen is small when in 2D clocks, because of one GPU being disabled.

For people with flickering textures and water in BC 2.... the fix is to throw nades at your feet, after a level reload, the issue is fixed.
    I don't know in MP how you fix it but that works in SP