Is my card just a bad overclocker or?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by methanol88, Mar 21, 2010.

1. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    This is getting embarassing lately with a barrage of threads but i can't help it. With all your help i ve managed to solve my auto-reboots/black screen freezes and CCC/fps problems, this time is about OC and ati tools.

I ve tried many OC combos such as 900/1200, 875/1200, 875/1175, 850/1150 and they all seem to produce artifacts in ati tools always after 19 mins precisely (artifacts as in those yellow dots in the cube 3d thingie). Voltages between 1,164-1,187 max for the tests. Temps during games never go above 85 either. My card is a sapphire OC edition, is it such a sh** overclocker though or did i stumble in a bad card? RMA it or ? During games with any of those core/mems i never notice the kind of artifacts that ati tools shows, apart from some screen flicker in dirt 2 (in the car backlights) which doesnt sound like it. Furmark and MSI kombustor on the other hand show no distortion in the screen and temps are very good actually. Seeing people going like 950/1300 on air makes me wonder if my card has problems or its just a bad chip/ati tools bug.

Thanks

2. PhonyEye

PhonyEye Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970
    I wouldn't bother OC the videocard. for a 5% gain, don't fry your card too soon...

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    add more voltage?

4. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    like, untill when? even tried 1,2 for once but idk if thats safe enough, someone on another thread told me that 1,187 is already high :p

Also not everything yields only 5%, call me a perfectionist anyways

5. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    sounds like ATI tools is the problem here.. If im not mistaken the program is quite old now and didn't get an update. If games run fine and don't crash or show artifacts and your temps are good... well that's your answer. your OC is fine.

6. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    RMA it........

my card clocks like a monster, at freezing cold (stock cooled) temps.

a few driver revisions have seen my card go from strength to strength, in regards to stability.

[​IMG]

ive never been above 1.162v / 1.15v as Afterburner wont allow me to alter voltage, so im using the overvolt tool, 3Dmark runs show the VRM's reach 65/67c & the cores don't go above 52c (while running the above OC) :banana:

its ASTONISHING architecture..... :)

7. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    try 1.250 i use that for 1000/1350 on my 5870, but always check temps

8. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    I dont get why u guys say try higher voltage and RMA?

Furmark works 100% for him, games work 100% for him. if only 1 old program(ati tool) gives some error at one spot i really wouldn't worry about it. just use furmark, its what hillbert uses to overclock/check temps for his reviews and what i use as well.

9. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    sorry, i missed that :bang:

OP... if your able to run the clocks you've mentioned on other stress testing apps the the cards fine....

10. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    What program do you use to raise the voltage of the 5970??

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I had a Sapphire 5970 and it overclocked great.Flashed card with Asus 5970 BIOS and used Asus Smart Doctor and card could do 1000/1200 @1.2 mV.The 5970 is a monster of a card and with the right BIOS and tools to bring the best out of the card.

12. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Agreed. ATi Tool does not support the 5 series cards as it addresses the core differently resulting in artifacts. Everyone I've seen overclocking their 5 series cards have no problems going over 1.2v. With my 5850's I'm stable at 1000mhz 1.19v. Keep temps lower with the fan profile. From the sounds of it you have a pretty good 5970.

13. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    I use afterburner and sapphire redline if needed, i didn't wanna make any hasty decisions thats why i wanted some advice from the more experienced overclockers here, thank you all

14. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    3*HD5850 Tri-CFX 850/1150
    just stick it to max overdrive clocks and it should be fine (775/1125 for 5970 I believe??)

I use MSI afterburner for my 5850's and they needed a good bump in voltage to reach 850+, so that may be your problem.

15. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Yay i think i get the whole voltage play now. Whats up with the shadows flickering/moving anyways its so noticable in unigine heaven on the bricks. Tried it with stock clocks so its not some kind of artifact, google'd it and many have the same prob, might be my HDTV and its low refresh rate idk.

Hm noticed that when in the heaven bench i freeze the screen the shadows stop flickering might be after all because of the time of day constantly changing altering the shadows so i guess thats all right

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010

16. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Wow, stoopid question here .................................

Are you not happy with what you have....................??

You are trying to beat WHO??

Did you play a game?????????????

Never mind............

17. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Sorry, but after the holidays when everyone was so graceful in donating................

hearing someone whine over a couple of frames just seems to burn my butt now..................sorry..................

18. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    use msi afterburner. i use it to overclock and make overclocking profiles for my 5870. right now it's sitting nicely at 1000/1330@1.2875v

i use to use amd gpu clock tool but kept crashing my card. after switching to msi afterburner i never had a problem with overclocking. try msi afterburner but if you do make sure to go into the config msi folder to unlock overclocking for ati cards.

19. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    No worries or offense taken, i m just too stubborn anyways