Dodgy Memory!?!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rock99, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    Currently have a set of "Corsair Dominator 3x2gb DDR3 1600Mhz" Have already RMAed it once as I got a dead stick.

If i go into bios and set memory settings by X.M.P. which sets the memory at 1600mhz with the correct voltage and timings. When I boot into windows though it lasts about 5 mins then the screen freezes and I have to restart it. but if I put the memory settings back to Auto in the bios (which is 1066Mhz) it all works fine. I have an i7 920 which is not currently overclocked and an "Asus P6T Deluxe V2" mobo.

Any help appreciated, would like to whether to RMA or not.

Thanks,

Jordan

2. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    is ur uncore multiplier at least 2x that of ur ram multiplier?

3. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    Could you explain please, where do i find these?

atm everything is on auto and it runs fine but if i go to XMP settings it crashes

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    itz in the Bios somewhere, under Uncore and QPI or somthing similarly titled, enable XMP, then manually set the voltage to 1.64-1.66, change the ram multiplier to 12, if u are running on stock, then check and make sure ur uncore multiplier is on 24 or more.

this may not be ur issue but itz wortha try, otherwise u may have to RMA again

5. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    I have found the uncore clock ratio (uclk) which was on auto and it says on it must be at least 2x dram frequency, so i have put it at 3200mhz. Is this the right thing? Apart from that the voltage is already 1.66.

Wont have a chance to try these settings tonight but thanks a lot for the help, it is much appreciated.

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    no problem, lemme know how it goes

7. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    no luck it just crashed...

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Fuuuuuuuuuuu, seems to me something isn't right with that ram, speak to Corsair, u may have to RMA.... again :(

9. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    My opinion is this is a case of memory incompatability.

A) 1600MHz RAM is OC mode for your board (as is the same with pretty much any other board out there)
    B) Corsair RAM is nowhere to be seen on the P6T QVL
    C) The RAM works fine at lower clocks

If anything, I'd return those Corsairs and exchange them for a part listed on the QVL. There are quite a few manufacturers listed which have been tested at 1600MHz with 6GB triple channel.

http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx&templete=2

10. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    The reason I dont think it's this is because previously when I had the memory it worked fine on 1600mhz, but that was with only 2 stick i spose. Just looking at some reviews on ebuyer tho for the ram and some guy has it working on a p6t, 1600mhz and tighter timings.

EDIT: and is it even possible to get a refund from an rma?