Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by evilkiller650, Feb 18, 2009.

1. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I bought DOW2 on release day, yet i have never played it for more than 10 minutes. My friend is absolutely addicted to it and says its the best game he has ever played

Do you recommend me hammering the single player or going straight into multi player online? Is the game really that good and not just a simplified version of DOW?

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    id suggest first getting familiar with the units in skirmish and then go for mp maybe play few private matches with friends. imo this game shines in mp

3. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I loved this game before they destroyed it with the 'This is Only War' patch. There was no need make it a different game, quite literally.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to get back into with this expansion, I ain't buying the expansion because I ain't gonna waste £17 on ONE new race. Don't care about the campaign or Last Stand crap.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's actually pretty cheap compared to if you was actually into w40k. £17 would barely get you a basic 10-man squad lol, and you've still got to paint the dudes!

So, for me, it's worth it. I'm going to wait for a few patches before getting CR though.

5. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    my Audio went to crap since the new expansion.. when ever battles get big i get delays and crackling .. blah

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There was mention of the audio-quality being degraded after the 2.1 patch.

They're working on the next patch.

7. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Just found out GFWL has a 10 install limit for the multiplayer portion of there games. No revoke to speak of. And getting a new key is a royal pain in the arse. And you are only ever issued 1 more key thats it... after that you are screwed. I figure i'm on about install 8 or 9 for the original dow 2. Os swaps gpu swap, general formats every 3 or 6 months... plus if i get a virus or some other odd problem not worh hours of my time I rather do an Install that takes 15 mins.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109027

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Haven't had any crashes yet. Running 1280x1024 No aa/af, max everything else including ultra shaders and textures and high shadows and rain.

Doesn't go below 30fps with 3vs3. Can also fight against Chaos!

Single player early missions runs often at 50-60fps.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I was in the same boat, but apparently if you buy Chaos Rising on Steam, it overwrites the original game and removes the CD key check.

10. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    rly though.. 10 reinstall's .. i think i havent done 2

11. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Really?? So now that i have chaos rising i now have unlimited installs for dow 2 and dow 2 expansion? is this what you are saying? Do you have a source for this? Not saying I dont believe you... Thing is i was planning on installing win 7 business 64 bit, got a free copy. If this is accurate i will go ahead with it, if not then i guess i will be calling gfwl soon.

12. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    ya really its not as far out as you think man. I am more annoyed that steam advertises both games without drm without activation limits.. Also GFWL as well i mean where does it mention this 10 multiplayer activation limit?? probably somewhere well hidden. It would still suck even with more transparency from these guys, but at least we would know what we are getting into in the first place. and not buy the game or buy it and be limited with our own hardware and software.

13. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Anyone else lost their custom army painter themes with Chaos Rising? It's the first thing I tried, to custom paint my Chaos Sorcerer for The Last Stand mostly, but in the process I noticed that all of my DoW II vanilla-made paints were entirely gone including the custom name I gave them, I had to start from scratch because I couldn't launch DoW II vanilla anymore, it automatically switches to Chaos Rising.

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i like Dawn of War 2 too much, should i buy Chaos Rising?

15. z3phon

z3phon Guest

Yes.

16. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    You know what is really ****ing off me? This games ****ty p2p multiplayer system and the people that go into games with 5 year old computers! 2 games in a row.... team-mates both lag the game and disconnect.

Any Gurus want to play some 2v2 or 3v3 together?

edit:

Live name is darren650

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    i could do bit someday :) i don't have really problems with low comp guys thank god.

Oyea my Live name is Balthazar Meh :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  18. maddy2012

maddy2012 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Good game, better campaign than the first, the corruption thing is cool as well, i like how they add good weapons for both to give u a hard choice between good and evil.

Looks like they've sorted the terminator armour as well, my squads don't run away anymore =P

19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Ok... is it just me or is the Chaos Rising campaign considerably tougher than anything vanilla DoW II's campaign threw at us? I swear the second mission was tougher than some boss fights I've had in vanilla, those Wraithlords are really pissing me off.

20. glObalist

glObalist Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti Gamin
    Does Chaos Rising (Steam) require the original DoWII or you can buy and play it independently?