285sli + 3510 raid card what mb?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by kilrbee, Mar 7, 2010.

1. kilrbee

kilrbee New Member

GPU:
    6950's xfire
    285sli + 3510 raid card + pci-e sound card what mb?

Hey all this is my first post on Guru, anyway I just picked up another gtx285 and a little worried that my raid will take a performance hit. My raid card is a High points 3510 8x running with a asus p6t mb, pci-e x16 runs at 16/16/4 with all slots occupied, with raid in the 4x slot will my read/write speeds diminish?
    If so what would be a good mb solution, any comment are welcome.:)

I forgot to add, would like to add a new sound card (auzen forte). I have built many pc's and never tried to use all pci-e x16 slots + a pci-e aswell, just not sure if mb can handle this.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I think 4x it's good enough ..........
    What hdds are you running on the raid card and what type or raid ??

3. kilrbee

kilrbee New Member

GPU:
    6950's xfire
    4 wd 640ks in a raid5 on a hotswap box. Guess i'm going to find out.

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

you'll be ok,

4xPCIe it's plenty of bandwith

if I were you id be on RAID 0+1 or RAID 10, less overload and better perf.

5. kilrbee

kilrbee New Member

GPU:
    6950's xfire
    I spent 2 days playing around with different raid setups and found raid5 was the best overall read/write and redundancy with my drives
    Raid0 was for sure was the fastest, average read/write was over 500mb/s
    but no redundancy

raid10 which I thought would be the best turned out to be the slowest, omg read/writes were about 200mb/s, might just be my drives, I don't know but I tested with different block size and everything, it was just slow with raid10

raid5 had the overall best performance and redundancy for my setup, block size of 256k and it was about 350mb/s average
    I'm crossing fingers, this p6t mb has run great, hate to dump it.

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

did y tried 0 + 1 ??

7. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    2 PCI express lanes should provide 500MB so 4 should be about 1GB minus overhead. You should still have more then enough bandwith, if anything your burst rate might drop, but my highpoint 4310 didn't burst past 533MB.

When i was trying my HP that wasn't an option. Raid 0, 1, 5, 6, and 1+0 where the only options depending on how many drives you had selected for the raid arrray.

For some reason HP's raid 5 just kicks ass.

I ended up at the same conclusion and just ran 3 drives instead of 4 to reduce overhead and parity checks. I ended up with about he same output as the OP, almost exactly.

FYI: i ended up with a 128 block size

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  8. kilrbee

kilrbee New Member

GPU:
    6950's xfire
    I can honestly say no, just got tired of building os over and over.
    just checked, my burst is 730mb/s, so you guys think this will not be a problem,:)

I changed my first post and forgot add, would like to add a new sound card (auzen forte). I have built many pc's and never tried to use all pci-e x16 slots + a pci-e aswell, just not sure if mb can handle this. My onboard sound just sucks compaired to my prelude card and I sold that because of mic issue/conflicks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010