9800 GT fried after installing latest driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by keenu, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keenu

keenu Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 TI
    Yes it happened to me. I installed the latest driver on Wednesday night. I didn't use my PC much after that. Anyway on Thursday morning I was using my PC and the PC just shut down like it lost power.

I tried to power it but got no reponse. Anyway I thought it was a PSU issue so I got buy a new PSU for £70 and it still didnt power up. Then I get this email from NVidia saying there maybe an issue with the latest driver. So I take my card out and low and behold it powered up fine!

So after already spending £70 on a new PSU, I now need to fork out £100 on a new Graphics card! :mad:

My question is there anyway I can get compensation from Nvidia for frying my card? I seen that other uses with 9800 GT have been hit too with this issue. Surley they should do something. I had no problems with my PC before this. Worst thing I got AC 2 today and I can't even play it coz of this!

2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Sorry to hear about your card. Did you use standby before your card died? I'm trying to figure out if the fans didnt spinup after a S1 S3 state. I would think NVIDIA should be responsible; however only a class action suit is going to make them do anything.

3. keenu

keenu Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 TI

No the PC booted up fine and I was surfing the net like normal and then the after about 10 mins the PC just completely shut off. I tried to power it up again but got no reponse. I also tried the card in another PC and have the same issue- doesnt power up. I think I will email Nvidia about this and see what they say.

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Sorry to hear that, keenu.
    Please let us know too what they reply. :)

Also: in order to keep the forum clean, please continue here:

196.75 Driver causes massive overheat
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=316831

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.