Palit GTX260 , anyone?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Mar 3, 2010.

1. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Anyone have this graphics card other than me :3eyes: , is it performing well in the 19x set?

I'm having issues with every single 19x driver , however EVERY 179 , EVERY 188 driver works perfectly. Don't mention clean uninstalls or :biggun:

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Have you done a clean install ? jks

but yeah my older GTX260 didnt like the new nvidia drivers at all

always needed to use 188 or older :(

3. triskele10

triskele10 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE
    My Palit GTX 260 likes 195.62 and 186.18 the others cause freezes or stutters, but I'm very happy with this card.

Just tested with 196.75 and he likes that to with XP/Win7.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX2060 Super
    I own one and I always use the latest drivers... no problems so far.

5. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Thanks guys , seems to be 50/50 lol

6. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Edit

I too have GTX 260 Palit Sonic OC 216 core shader (55nm), but works good with 196.75 drivers.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Mine isn't a 260 of course, but it is Palit and works great with the 196.75 drivers.

The previous 190.xx drivers gave me occasional stutters in BF2. All cleared up now though.

8. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    I may not have a Palit i got a bfg but still the 196.75 drivers are pretty good BC2 performance is really good getting like 60+ Fps on a really good server.

9. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    I have Palit 260 sli'ed with a Evga 260 and have had no install problems.
    I would RMA it. My evga card was RMA'ed because I could not install the any driver with out changing the Device string in the Nv_disp.inf because some how the card had the wrong ID or it got corrupt and changed a bit some how. On advice from unwinder I RMA'ed it and all is good.
    The fact is it SHOULD WORK!

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Gosh, that's incredible...normally that only happens if the card is flashed with an incorrectly written custom bios....:3eyes:

Amazing...

11. spiffyskater

spiffyskater Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE /GTX680 / 4gb
    i have the palit gtx260 sonic and have been using the 196.34 drivers with no problems what so ever.. Plan on installing the new ones tonight.

12. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    No its not in the bios. This value is hardwired on display adapter's PCB and most likely some of the strapping resistors defining PCI DeviceID on the card are damaged/missing. This why I say RMA.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  13. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Well i'm not going to RMA it because im pretty damn sure that the person testing it out wouldn't notice it , but being as i'm fussy i notice the slightest stutter or lag and it puts me off. The difference between the 188's and the 19x's is enough lol.

For example , battlefield 2 any driver in the 19x range gives me laggy gameplay and at times it stutters even though the frame rate says everything is ok. Walking through an area and it's fast and perfect then suddenly it goes into a slight slow mo , walk out of that area and it's fine back again slow mo. There is a wierd texture issue aswell , walking beside a fence for example it looks more glared and the AF seems broken. AVP 3 for example in the 19x felt much more lagged and stuttered , it felt like the frame rate was some 20fps less but according to fraps nope everything is fine.

Go back to the 179x or 188x perfectly fine and fast , whats different? the adaptive / Performance option that's the only thing i can think off. I've also read a few others having the same issue , but when they put in another card SLI the issue just vanish's. Something to do with the memory management in the drivers one response i was given.

I've reported it to Nvidia but how many drivers and it's still the same

It could also be going on with alot of other people but they don't notice it and report everything is fine , hell i can notice a 10fps drop even without a benchmark hah