Bsods while heavy harddrive activity

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Charliew87, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Ello there fellas

Im having some issues atm with bluescreens, mostly when watching movies etc while I unrar files for example.

I kind of have the feeling of insecurity when Im experiencing heavy harddrive loads, which kind of makes me think the harddrive is the villain but the bluescreen message is more often than not "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" which makes me think the rams are the issue.

Could this be A: Bad bios, B: Harddrive is recked or C: RAM errors, and how do I check to see which one it is?

Thx for all the help
    /Charlie

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ok first check the HDD

install HDtune and run the error test and report back

you can download HD tune Here

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    If your running windows 7, press F8 for the safe mode prompt at boot, and choose "Repair your computer" option, go through the language and login screen and choose Memory Diagnostic test

See if it comes back ok

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Could also be drivers causing it, have you installed any new drivers lately?

What is the stop code you get before the message?

5. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Quick scan revealed nothing, running the phat one now, Ill be back with results as soon as its done.

6. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    I will check the stop code next time i get a bsod, its possible to paus them to write it down right? Oh well, I guess Ill notice.

I have installed a new driver now that you bring it up, I got my onboard realtek driver for my soundcard since Im like many other windows 7 users get some strange form of freezelag in many of the newer gamer-titles, but I had this issue before that too. I was able to fix it in one game "Rogue Warrior" by deleting a lot of the HID devices from the device-manager which I guess could point towards bad bios but on the other hand it was a known fix so many players were experiencing that issue.

I do notice some bluescreens while playing wow, and I do get some files from the mpq folders missing ingame which yet again points towards the harddrive as being the bad guy I guess. The bluescreens I get never really shot up except sometimes 1-2 times in the morning and other times 1-2 times in the evening, very strange.

EDIT: The harddrive test is taking a while so Ill try to get a bsod by extracting something when its done and write down the error code.

7. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Will do when the harddrive test is done, 50/750gig scanned atm.

8. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    To test your memory use Memtest86+ v4.00 comes in bootable iso or USB version or Floppy version.

To stop auto reboot on BSOD you can set the option in windows.
    Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup & Recovery -> Settings -> and untick Automatically Restart.

You can also maybe have a look in Event Viewer, it may have caught the problem before the BSOD or at least some pointer to what happened before the BSOD which may or may not help you to diagnose your problem.

9. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    This sounds very intresting but I have no idea how to find the errors in question, never used Eventviewer before, any chance of getting some pointers?

I have 6222 errors, Im guessing this is bad :p

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3475/eventview.jpg

Dug about and right before a system restart needed post I saw this.

"Faulting application name: SimPack.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x49a9a89f
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb3b
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0002e23e
    Faulting process id: 0x6dc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cab9f52401d0cf
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\Charlies\AppData\Local\Temp\SimPack.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 636dde63-25e8-11df-9b45-00221588b189"

Could this be a reason?

10. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Have a look in the Windows Logs > system logs

See if there are any errors to give you pointers in there

Clear all your temp folders, that simpack.exe could be an issue

Run malwarebytes anti-malware

11. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Not sure about it causing your BSOD and doing a google on SimPack.exe doesn't seem to give me any hits on virus or malware but.. Alarm bells in my head would ring if I see a file running from ...Local\Temp\ that's not part of windows and has a version number of 0.0.0.0 and to see that it caused a windows file to crash..
    Maybe it's time to check what that file is part of and should it really being run from temp at all (that's if this file is reported as an error on a regular basis).

When looking in event viewer also have a look under System and Administrator as well.
    When you next BSOD, straight after boot up have a look at event viewer and see the newest errors that match the time of when the BSOD happened. If you see that's it's the same errors every time then maybe it may point to something that you can do to resolve..
    EG: An Application that causes it or Hardware that causes it or whatever.

12. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    I would say any .exe file running permanently from temp is a bad sign, and although I havent looked through all the links, the search alone would make me think malware

[​IMG]

13. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Agreed totally..
    Did you actually click that first link in your google search?
    I did.. and they had no information and 1 hit with no damage it has a green tick to say it's not been a threat.. lol
    My search seem to list Torrents and Rapidshare links for SimPack.exe.
    But yep SimPack.exe is malware for sure in the op's case
    This link from magicdave26 search definately sounds like what SimPack.exe is doing on the op's drive: http://www.prevx.com/filenames/28973350992547170-X1/SIMPACK.EXE.htm

14. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Thx for all the replies, had some stuff to take care of and will be busy tonight but I dont want to come off as inactive or unappriciative of your help, I really appriciate it :).

Im going to try to get this simpack issue sorted first thing in the morning, In my experience searching for a malware remover is like searching for malware itself tho, anyone got any good tips of some prog that doesnt have unconsentual intercourse with ones computer when you install it?