Everything is hooked up, but no go....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NewMachineIII, Mar 1, 2010.

1. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Everything is hooked up, but no (AND IS A) go!!....**UPDATE**

For the last month, I have been building my 5th custom made PC. Its been almost 6 years since my last upgrade.

Well, after taking my sweet time, in putting it together. Yesterday was the time to get things rolling. And power up NEWMACHINE 5 (that theme is marked for on how many custom bailds were done).

Got me a new/old ASUS M4N78 PRO MB.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad Core (*mb cache in total), 3.4ghz--140watts. *Even though, this CPU is a bit strong, the MB was designed to be compatible with it, plus the Bios should have been able to use it, at half the capacity. Until it was upgraded. *

ULTRA 850 watts Molex aatachment PSU.

Thermaltake Spedo Full ATX tower *Best I have seen in bulit)--[Came with 2 240mm fans*top and left side), 140mm front intake, 2 120mm standard *replaced wtih controllable speed fans*
    ,added 1 interior 120mm CSF facing the VGC, another 120mm exhaust out postion, right behind the CPU for cooling. CPU has a mega 6 pipe Thermaltake cooler with a 120mm with a 4 pin connector, controlled by the MB.*

1 SATA WD 160gig, 8mb cache for the OS

2 2gigs Dual Memory/Blazer *bought from Crucial)

DVD/CD burner/player Lite-On

DVD player, Lite-On

Standard Floppy 3.5 (I know, it should be existence)

PCI Express Geoforce PNY 9500 GT (350 watts) *Powered by the MB only, no PCI power from PSU.*

This is just the basic summary. Well, after sitting in the living room for a month, testing was done to see if everything works.

Got a few surprises...some of the fans, were not connected.
    Corrected that.

Saw the flashing lights on the memory strips light for a bit. But notice something odd...the CPU fan was not running. And yes, there was no POST setup running from the bios either. Nothing showed up on the monitor.

Did a soft shutdown, recheck all the wiring, and remove any excess wire connection not needed.

Waited a bit and restarted...this time, all the fans were working (including the VGC's, butttt...the CPU fan was not running. And again no Bios POST, nothing was going through to the monitor. At one point, I though it was the battery for the MB, turned around and replaced it.

Tested the opening and closing of the DVD players, all good.

In short, power is reaching everywhere, expect to the MB, especially to the CPU (yes, the current bios does not support the CPU, but...it should default to a lower setting, until the bios upgade is done). But instead...no Bios POST, no nothing.

Feel bum, first time having a MB sorta died on the spot (but that little green lite *SB_PWR* is on at the bottom right* is on.

And no, I cannot reset the CLRTC, since again...nothing is showing up on screen. And during the next few tests...those flashing lights on the memory strips didn't sctivate during the second, third, and going to the 8th test. To finally confirm...that Bios is like...gone.

Like it was there for a moment...then nothing. But the power soft shut down works without fail.

My peers...what is your analysis on this?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    could be a bios issue like you said earlier, u have an older AM2+/AM3 CPU to try? I had a similar issue, see my thread >**** no post<, turns out my board wasn't working, after Gigabyte finally replaced it, everything works now

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    I have a Dual Core 2.8gig AMD (2mb cache, that came with the MB (bought as a bundle deal).

But when I saw the pipe size on the former, I turned around and bought the latter.

Does it look I am undone...by the bios' unable means:bang: to handle the greater power of the Pheinom II:bang:

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I personally test everything outside of the case before mounting everything. This makes troubleshooting hardware for the first time much easier.

Anyhow, you say the motherboard light comes on, so thats good. Check the CPU 4pin fan connection. Sometimes if you put a 3 pin fan connection on the wrong pins, it wont post. You can also test one RAM stick at a time to see if one of them is not working.

Dont forget to check if the CPU power plug on the top of the motherboard is plugged in. I forgot that one time even though I had everything sitting right in front of me.

5. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    1.As I type this, the new PC sits in the living room plugged...that little green light shine, like it is nobody's business

I did buy specifically, a 4 pin connector fan for it, to get the full capacity of function.
    The 1 stick of RAM test was done too.

2.On the first power up, I saw the where the fans were not working, and like I said before the memory sticks function light indicator briefly showed a green to yellow streak movement.

I had to 2 extra wires that was not needed and were removed, evertyhing was rechecked four times. The only loss of function I had (and did not mention at first), other than the CPU fan. Was the second drive bay for the DVD player, somehow, when the floppy was connected. It didn't get any power, only the Burner did. Disconnected that, and both players were opening and closing on command.

Main concern was the power distrubition to all equipement that needs it. Once that was done, and everything was functional...attention was given to the CPU. If Jae-So is corrected. What I have here, in the most possible terms to explain.

The Bios is refusing to allow function, cause it does not have the new instructions on how to deal with this much powerful CPU. That is the way it looks (and yupe I did check out for the new updates from ASUS, they have the new 'fix' for this possible situation). But I wanted to get second opinions from my fellow Gurus here, before I go and commit on the next act.

To be honest, I was hoping not to be jumping the hurdles on this, when I was ready to get the New PC going. But alas...tech stuff can get so...annnoying.:nerd:

6. MR_James

MR_James Member

GPU:
    Palit Sonic GTX260
    Unfortunately the theory of it should still post but at slower clock speeds isn't always correct I downgraded my brothers board which had an X2 in it and lost support for that cpu core and it wouldn't post :3eyes:

7. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    If you meant by reducing the clock speed, yes that will happen. On the current one I have, there were times, when it rebooted (it has a broken front bus, so cannot overclock like it use to). I have reduce the speed to controllable levels where I do not incur application crashes more frequently. Although I still do, but when it was clocked higher, getting 15 to 20 reboots (forced) within an hour...is a very teeth grinding experience.

And there were the times, when I did downgrade the speed further, that the system will tell, not to go any further, or risk a total loss of operation on the MB itself. If that what you are talking about. Then yes. it seems that there is a minimum limit, to how far one can drop the FB speed...before the board says, "OKay...we can't work like this, do it and we can't work period.".

Yeah, once you go pass the minimum recommended speed of use...that's pretty much it.

ps:The only to get back control, is to reset the bios to default (by clearing the CLRTC jumper)

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    you could also check the power button connection from the case to the motherboard. Sometimes I accidently install it backwards or flipped around on the pins because Im doing it blindly haha. This has been known to stop a motherboard from posting also.

Guru3d really needs to make a sticky for "Reasons a PC will not post and how to fix it". It would help so many people.

9. MR_James

MR_James Member

GPU:
    Palit Sonic GTX260
    Can't be worse than my brother deciding to put his computer together without help and put a metal motherboard support where one shouldn't be :nerd:

Just realised I need to update my system spec as well lol

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I've seen pins within power connectors get pushed out of the back side of the 4-pin connector when plugging it into the mainboard with similar results, OP. I know you checked things, but you might want to give an even closer inspection. Seen similar results in the 24-pin connection as well. Worth a try OP. :) I hope you get it sorted easily. Also try "massaging" the BIOS chip gently with your static free finger by just making sure it is seated well.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Check for a BIOS update

12. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Rest assured my Guru brethen...

I did all the necessary checks...and the best indicator that things work, is the VGC, which is powered by the MB iitself. Not by a seperate PCI power plug. The fan for it, was working.

13. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Done...current verison for the MB is a 10.++, the newest one is a 11.01, which will work with the New CPU.

14. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    I actually paid somone to put in the CPU, was a bit skittish on doing it myself at that time. Well, when I got home...I found out the hard way. That the board won't fit, until 45 minutes later.

That blasted heat plate, facing the bottom of the CPU on the other side of the board...was too damn thick in height.:nerd:

But with 2 120mm controlled fans, front and back...who needs it.

15. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Follow all instructions, and DL a PDF verison of the mainual to make sure it was correct.

The power on and soft touch delay shut down...works.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorted..

17. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    now how in the world would you manage that? the assorted socket shapes literally will not allow it.

OP unless you can try another cpu or for a stretch psu, I think you need to do some rma'in on that mobo. To be frank, all fans spinning but your cpu fan means a dead fan or a dead mobo

18. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    I think FULMTL was on about the front panel connectors.:)

OP When you update the BIOS i gather the mobo ,and everything is working fine now.

19. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    I had the exact same problem with my PII 965 & board (similar to yours) and it was indeed the BIOS was not compatible with the CPU.

I was lucky enough to have a friend lend me an older AM3 chip, used it to update the BIOS and all was good.

It kind of took me by surprise because it was the first time a board would not at least POST to allow a BIOS update.

20. MR_James

MR_James Member

GPU:
    Palit Sonic GTX260
    I checked the supported CPU's against his cpu and it's the same core and should work with the same voltage so don't think it is the bios causing issues it could be something as stupid as a jumper missing on the board somewhere so might be worth flicking through the manual and checking them.