Nvidia GeForce 185.85 WHQL and Rivatuner 2.24 seem messed up

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by bobmitch, May 7, 2009.

1. hazem85

hazem85 New Member

GPU:
    msi 7900 GT
    sorry,I am beginner in riva tuner i have driver detection but i can't find fan tab in low level and i don't know how i can fix it by using power user.any help with this problem?
    i am using windows xp with nvidia driver 178.xx
    with details please...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. jwolberg

jwolberg New Member

Hello-

I followed the instructions but it's still not allowing me to alter anything except the fan temps.

The little lightbulb next to the setting is yellow whereas none of the other options have this. I can't see any way to apply or save the new setting to make it work.

Any hints?

3. Russ_64

Russ_64 Member

GPU:
    HD4890 & HD4870 not CF
    Big thanks to Unwinder, RT is the best tool on the planet ......

Q: Does this work around also work for ATI Catalyst drivers e.g. 9.6 ?

4. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    I've found that BB's workaround does not work for Nvidia driver 186.18. I'm running Windows 7 RC 7100. I got it all to install correctly with information found on this forum for bypassing "driver signing". RT appears to start up perfectly with no messages from Win 7.

I go to use the workaround just as described making sure the right database is selected and that hex is off. I key in 18618 (no dot). The light bulb goes on but the check mark will not stay on. When I go back to it the check mark is gone - but the light bulb is still on.

The symptoms are simply that I can not save any profile. I click on the disk icon and nothing happens when saving profiles. I'm an Admin and I have UAC turned off.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    18618 works fine for me in Vista 64. Does the Main Tab show Driver Emulation Mode at the top?

Follow stangeowners guide in the stickie post.

6. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    186.18 works fine for me on Windows 7 x64 RC build 7100.

The 2.24 installation contains a RivaTuner224Drv.rtu file which is the 64 bit signed drivers. So you should not have to disable driver signing anymore - just select yes at install to include the updates.

If the lightbulb is on, that's fine. Don't worry about the checkmark.

What profiles can't you save? Fan/OC/etc? Are you clicking apply first? Until you do that, you can not save it as nothing has changed.

Note: I have noticed 1 difference since upgrading from 185.85 though. With 185.85 I had 5 options. With 186.18 I only have 4, the missing one being the option to reset all driver settings back to the default settings (registry sweeper icon). Changing the forced driver version back to 18585 even though I'm still running 186.18 re-enables that option. Not sure why. But I'm not using it anyways so I set the forced driver version back to 18618.

7. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    OUCH!!! I need to do this more than every 2 or 3 years! Forgot to click Apply.

So I've created a bunch of profiles and launchers but now I've got another problem - I cannot create a Scheduler Item. When I tell RT that I want to run the task on Hardware Monitoring Threshold Event, the OK button dims and is not selectable. It also dims outs on Hardware Monitoring Range Event. The other selections leave the OK button as selectable. Even if I fill in every box, the OK button never becomes clickable. The Current Task at the very top of the panel says None when I try to use these Hardware Monitoring selections.

Driver: 186.18
    Card: GTX 260 (192)

8. Decky999

Decky999 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    Does anyone know if NVstrap part of RT will become supported under Vista 64. It looks like another driver signing problem victim.

9. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    The background hardware monitoring needs to be running. RT will ask you if you want to enable it if it is not running and if you say no, the Data Source will be disabled and set to none. Once it is running, you get a list of sources and can select them.

If you are scheduling an application, then you also have to specify something in the path.

Then you need to fill in all the boxes (threshold or min/max, data sampling period and task freezing period). Once you do this, the OK button is enabled and the current task at the top will no longer have "none" and now have a description of the scheduled item.

You must be missing one of these things.

10. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Yeah, I didn't fill in the Data Sampling and Task Freezing boxes. Found a tutorial that said to put zeroes in them. They were not present in v2.10 so I just left them blank.

Everything works just as it should. Thanks - I'll probably be back in two or three years with more DOH! moments.

11. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    We'll wait you... :evilgrin:

12. EarlZ

EarlZ Guest

So if i force the version to 185.85 and use a higher driver version i still get the correct temp readings right ?

13. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
  14. c3k

c3k Member

Grrrr, still need help

Gents,

I set up various fan profiles under the launcher tab in v2.22. It all worked using nvidia v182.06 drivers. Well, I just upgraded to v190.38, and also updated rivatuner to v2.24. My fan profiles aren't working...

I've read, reread, then re-re-read the instructions on forcing driver version. I don't get it.

If I open the "Power User" tab, I can select "System". Then I can select "forcedriverversion". I can put a check mark in front of that, or a dim, or a lit lightbulb. I can force a value into the value column. However, I can only put in a single digit. (A 1 or 0 has the appropriate effect on the light bulb; the value and the icon are linked.)

I see nowhere to type in the value of my current driver, 19038.

I am assuming that the lack of a valid driver value is preventing rivatuner from controlling my fan based on my gpu's reported temperature.

Following other instructions I've gone to the "Power User" tab and selected the file icon at the lower left, "Open Database". That shows 10 various folders and one file. The file is "RivaTuner.rtd".

One of the instructions I read sent me there to expand it and change the forcedriverversion in that file. I was unable to expand it. I chose Notepad to open it. Now it is associated with Notepad (and notepad only!). Oops.

The file exists; it shows this:
    Value%d%= ForceDriverVersion
    Param%d%= ,0,,RivaTuner\
    Inter%d%=

I changed it to:
    Value%d%= ForceDriverVersion
    Param%d%= ,19038,,RivaTuner\
    Inter%d%=

Rivatuner STILL does not allow my fan profiles to work.

Can anyone tell me what I am overlooking?

Thanks,
    Ken

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294967/

16. c3k

c3k Member

Okay,

I've read that thread. Here's what Unwinder wrote:
    "Anyway, here is short instruction for those who never used Power User tab before:

Open <Power User> tab -> Press <Open database> button -> Browse for RivaTuner.rtd database file (located in the application root folder) -> Expand <System> node -> Ensure that <Hexadecimal display> button is NOT pressed (otherwise 18585 will be treated as a hexadecimal value instead of decimal one) -> Double click <ForceDriverVersion> and enter 18585 "

As I wrote, the "Expand <System> node" was not possible. I found the RivaTuner.rtd file. I could NOT open it, or expand it, without going through Windows' "what type of program do you want to associate with this file?" routine. I chose Notepad.

So, I cannot expand system. I can SEE all the values in Notepad (that's what I pasted, above). So, the rest of what Unwinder wrote did not apply to what I saw or could do.

Other than pasting a link back to that thread, does anyone have any concrete solutions?

I'm using Vista 64 if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Ken

17. c3k

c3k Member

Okay, NOW it works....????

Alright, it's working...

I continued to follow the same steps. Obviously, the software shouldn't change how it reacts to the same inputs, so now that it's working, I must've changed something...

Shrug...

Here's the difference, I think. I de-selected Hexadecimal, changed NOTHING else, then restarted. That allowed me to make the correct entry.

For what it helps others, I opened "power user" tab, scrolled to the "Rivatuner/System" button, clicked it to expand all the submenus. Then I selected "forcedriverversion" double clicked and entered my nvidia driver version into the "value" column (for me it was 19038). Restart rivatuner, now it works.

So, step 1, de-select hexadecimal. Restart rivatuner.
    Step 2, input desired changes. Restart rivatuner.

All is good.

THANKS!
    Ken

18. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
  19. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    will this work for catalyst driver 9.10-9.12?

20. xezi

xezi New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4670 1G
    I'm using Catalyst 10.1,
    driver packaging version 8.69,
    D3D version 8.14,
    already tried 101, 869, 814 (no hex),
    but still got the dreaded 'No supported drivers detected for this display adapter' message.

A reboot is needed?

What must I do ??