MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    There is no master and slave cards

well not since like 06 or something.

2. rony794

rony794 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970@1ghz
    No, but there are Master/Slave GPU`s on a 5970. One of them being the master the other one the slave, obviously. They also need different BIOS`es. But there`s one more 5970 problem. After enabling unofficial OC with 5970 cards, changing anything in any version of AB causes a system lockup. You can solve this only by disabling the unofficial OC function again. It`s a pity, since 5970`s have enough potential to overcome the 1ghz limitation thanks to the voltage change option. I would be really happy if that one would be solved. And I`m also experencing exactly the same problem as TOOdamnFRANK is writing about. My only luck is that my custom fanprofile is still working.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

People ignoring the context help and totally misunderstanding that master in MSI Afterburner is nothing but currently selected GPU should finally read it. You can select any GPU as a master in Afterburner yourself, it doesn't depend on Crosssfire/SLI architecture or anything else. It just allows you to select a primary GPU for altering the settings in multi-GPU system. And that GPU's settings will be applied to the rest GPUs (which is important if you mix differently clocked cards) if you enable settings synchronization mode. That's the one and the only purpose and sense of master GPU for Afterburner. What you and TOOdamnFRANK posted is your own misunderstanding.
    And seriously, what's the sense of posting "I'm also experiencing exactly the same issue" and trying to hide totally different issue (your misunderstanding issue) under it? It won't work at all.
    Users unable to read relase notes and ignoring explicit notes telling that unofficial overclocking path is NOT SUPPORTED ethier by AMD nor by MSI may keep pushing the fix, but it the dreams won't transform into reality. Unofficial overclocking path is as stable as AlwaysTroublesInside driver is. Don't like it - don't use it. You have the option to get MSI card with CCC limit extended in BIOS. You have the option to thank AMD for limiting clocks by default and write petition to them asking to remove clock limits. And finally, if Sapphire users don't like something - you always have Sapphire tools and techsupport forums.

4. TOOdamnFRANK

TOOdamnFRANK New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC Edition
    "unofficial overclocking path is NOT SUPPORTED"??? Maybe I am an idiot, but i read through the manual and have no idea what that means. Mind explaining it?

I'm not here to cause drama on the message board, just see if this problem can be fixed and possibly find out what is causing it to fix it on my own system.

My overclocks work just fine, it's just that when I load the program the first few times it recognizes the wrong GPU as "master" and "slave" and won't let me use my fan control profiles within MSI AB. So I have to sit and reload it numerous times to get it to work, so I wanted to inform whoever works on the program so they could possibly fix this, potentially helping myself and others, and possibly helping the programmers become aware of a potential issue, not to stir up the pot and get people flaming each other online. I'm not into that sort of thing.

The reason I use this instead of the Sapphire Overvolt crap is because Sapphire's Overvolt is just that; crap. It won't work in Windows 7 64bit unless I load it in virtual xp mode, which is a huge hassle, and it lacks the fan profile support of the MSI AfterBurner.

:pray2pc:

5. TOOdamnFRANK

TOOdamnFRANK New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC Edition
    UNWINDER,
    the only reason i refereed to the whole master/slave thing is because i did not change any settings on either GPU in any program, AB, CCC, or other, and yet every time I reboot it recognizes my second GPU as Master instead of slave and my fan controls in AfterBurner disappear. The program randomly loads them in the wrong order I noticed and when it does this problem happens. I thought maybe this was what was causing the issue, and wrote in and posted the images in hopes of someone being able to fix it. It may not in fact be the problem, but when it loads this way I lose fan control, when it loads the other way, everything works fine. And it seems to be a random occurrence of when it finally loads correctly, not from me changing any master/slave settings.

please do not take offense, I am not calling you out, just responding to your post, in hopes that maybe you know of a fix or what I'm doing wrong; besides buying a Sapphire card.

6. rony794

rony794 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970@1ghz
    I didn`t mean it like that! I like AB, it`s the best SW out there, I just wanted to know if there`s a solution to the unoff. OC problem. But I`ve really got the same problem with the fan control grayed out and driver not shown like TOOdamnFRANK has.

7. Unwinder

You have 2 GPUs and only ONE fan controller connected to ONE of GPUs. So it is normal to have fan control grayed out when GPU with no fan controller connection is selected as a master in the Afterburner properties. You should have fan control available only for ONE GPU. It is normal for any dual GPU card including old good GTX 295 series. It is also normal to see NO driver info for the secondary card when SLI/CF mode is enabled. Seriously guys, start reading please. I'd like to avoid wasting time on beating the dead horse, it was discussed 1000 times before in both Afterburner and EVGA Precision forums.

8. TOOdamnFRANK

TOOdamnFRANK New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC Edition
    UNWINDER - Exactly. That's the problem. I am not changing the GPU master/slave properties. And that's where the problem is and why I am posting this. Afterburner starts up on its own, with no software changes, and it changes my master to slave and vice-versa ON IT'S OWN and I lose fan control. Only not just on the one it thinks is master, but the "slave" as well, neither one has fan controls within afterburner. I reboot my computer with no changes made in afterburner and load afterburner when windows starts or even after, and bam, randomly it makes my slave my master and I have to close AB and restart the program over and over a random amount of times and it will recognize my master as the master and give me back fan control. But it does this randomly of it's own accord when it feels like doing so it seems.

So I'm left with an AfterBurner that has no fan controls every time I start up windows and load afterburner, until I reload it over and over again randomly, between 2 and 40 times and then bam; the master is recognized and I once again regain fan control. It makes no sense and this is what I wanted to see if someone working on the programs next release could fix.

I tried manually changing the master/slave GPU's with no success, it leaves me with no fan control until I reload AB and it decides its good and ready to recognize the right GPU as master and give me back my fan controls within AB after a random amount of program restarts.

To summarize the issues; I get what you're saying about setting the master and slave GPU, but thats just it; I don't change them, I make absolutely no changes to the program what-so-ever and the program doesn't recognize the right GPU as the master/slave and I lose fan control on both whenever I restart Afterburner or reboot my computer. and once again its fixed by restarting the program over and over again until it decides to work, and when the problem happens neither slave or master has any control over the fan on the card within Afterburner when this happens.. I wouldn't be complaining except this happens every single time I close AB or reboot my computer, and yes it does save my settings and profiles correctly, just randomly loads the GPU's in the wrong order causing lose of fan control within AB.

I was just hoping someone from the programming team, or someone close to them might see this and fix it on the next release, or get word from someone about the issue and look into a solution because I love this program and everything it does from voltage controls to overclocking and 2-d / 3-d profiles, its seriously amazing. But you all know that or you wouldn't be here trying to discuss it and make it better in future releases. I just want to help fix an issue on the ATI HD5970's for future releases so no one has my issue and from someone posting a response right away with the same problem I see I am not the only one. AfterBurner obviously rocks, and has amazing potential, or none of us would be here discussing it, and I just wanted to help in my own tiny little way by informing someone about my problem before others have it. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to fix this issue or discusses it here and tries to think of a solution, I appreciate your time and effort. Seriously, thank you. Getting this fixed will allow me to get on with my gaming and away from the message boards where I personally don't belong as I am not much help obviously. Personally with my Grandmother's funeral in two days it would be nice to be able to just play my games and get my mind right, so again thank you everyone.

9. Unwinder

There is no any programming team, Afterburner is a single developer project. And like it or dislike it, I'm developer and I've already said my thoughts on the issue. Don't see anything fixable or needing to be fixed. And once again: if you're not agree with me - just use Sapphire's native software, which you're paying for.

10. allanmac

allanmac New Member

GPU:
    MSI N240GT-MD512-OC/D5
    The ASUS card was removed and I'm now running three MSI GT 240's (512/DDR5/OC). (Yes, 3. It's for CUDA work)

Everything works fine with Afterburner now.

Thanks MSI/Unwinder!

11. DFT

DFT New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 1GB
    Afterburner is good for increasing voltage, but I can't decrease voltage below 1 volt...

Please allow us to undervolt. Specifically, I'd like to be able to adjust to around 0.750 volt if possible.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  12. defoler

defoler New Member

GPU:
    12GB G.Skill ripjaws
    Hi, I got a question about the profiles.

I am using a 5970+5870 crossfire (3 GPUs).

I have selected the 5870 (GPU1), made a 1.162V/860/1200 profile, selected the 5970 GPU with the fan (GPU2+3, where 3 has the fan), made a 1.162V/860/1200 profile.
    In the end I'm selecting GPU3 as the master. When I select the info option, I get:

Code:
    GPU1
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Display device       : ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series on RV870 GPU
    On-board memory      : 1024MB
    GUID                 : VEN_1002&DEV_6898&SUBSYS_032E1043&REV_00&BUS_4&DEV_0&FN_0

GPU2
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Display device       : ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series on RV870 GPU
    GUID                 : VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_C000174B&REV_00&BUS_9&DEV_0&FN_0
    Multi-GPU role       : master

GPU3
    Display driver       : , Catalyst 10.2
    GUID                 : VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_C000174B&REV_00&BUS_8&DEV_0&FN_0
    Multi-GPU role       : synchronized with master

GPU4
    Display device       : GeForce GTS 250 on G92 GPU
    Display driver       : ForceWare 196.21
    BIOS                 : 62.92.7e.00.00
    GUID                 : VEN_10DE&DEV_0615&SUBSYS_110319DA&REV_A2&BUS_5&DEV_0&FN_0

On-Screen Display server
    Active client        : automatic profiles manager
    Active 3D process    : etqw.exe

I have assigned the profiles to 3D.

I run furmark, and everything seems fine. 860/1200 clocks and its all peachy.

But once I restart my computer and run furmark, I get that only GPU3 gets the new clocks, GPU2 and GPU1 return to stock clocks.
    Mind that voltage is correct on all the GPUs.

I have tried to find a post similar to this, but failed.
    Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong in setting up the info?
    Should I select GPU1 as the main?

This happens to me in both 1.4.2 and 1.5.

Thanks (P.S, very nice tool!).

13. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    I'd like to request two fan profiles for two different cards.
    I have a 5850 and a 4850 because I have three screens and a projector hooked up I 'need' 4 video outs. Both cards have different fans and get different gpu loads.

14. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I know this has been said before, but a CPU temp monitor for OSD would be amazing!!

Also a quicker way to switch between multiple cards, without having to go through the settings menu

15. douglatins

douglatins Guest

The fan% is not recognized in the graphs always at 30%

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010

16. Meaker

Meaker Member

GPU:
    GTX570M 1.5GB GDDR5
    I have a strange issue. I'm not sure if it MSI afterburner however... But it does trigger it.

I have a Gigabyte P55M-UD4 + 2x Asus 5670s.

Putting either one in the system CCC or AB - they clock fine
    Putting both in the system and using CCC - they clock fine (but only up to CCC limits)
    Putting both in the system and using AB - Crash

If I disable clock linking to both adaptors it can write fine to the primary card but trying to set clocks on the seconds gives me a machine check exception BSOD.

CCC does clock both cards fine, however the AMD GPU clock tool does not always "see" (it sometimes finds both but often just comes up with one card in the drop down list) both adaptors so this could be linked to the issue I guess.

I am running the 10.3s.

My system is OCed but I have tried restoring defaults in the bios and then setting everything to stock and it made no difference.

If you need more info let me know.

17. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    I'm having an issue regarding overclocking of my HD 5970. If it's the only graphics card MSI AB will overclock both GPUs, but if I enable my 9800GT (used for Physx only) overclocking the HD 5970 in AB just setup clocks of one of GPUs, the other GPU clock remains the same. That only happens when the 9800GT is active (i.e. not disabled in device manager).

Code:
    GPU1
    GUID                 : VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_30201682&REV_00&BUS_5&DEV_0&FN_0
    Multi-GPU role       : synchronized with master

GPU2
    BIOS                 : 012.013.000.002
    GUID                 : VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_30201682&REV_00&BUS_4&DEV_0&FN_0
    Multi-GPU role       : master

GPU3
    Display device       : GeForce GTS 250 on G92 GPU
    Display driver       : ForceWare 195.62
    BIOS                 : 62.92.46.00.0b
    GUID                 : VEN_10DE&DEV_0615&SUBSYS_23721682&REV_A2&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0

18. GX-BadAngeL

GX-BadAngeL Member

GPU:
    7970 WC
    japamd
    i have same problem :(

19. Unwinder

If each of you were able to click magic <Search> button, you could easily find out that AMD ADL SDK goes crazy in hacked PhysX environment. And it was discussed _a_lot_ of times. It is up to AMD to fix it.

20. GX-BadAngeL

GX-BadAngeL Member

GPU:
    7970 WC
    Who sad about cracked physx env? stock drivers on 9800gt, without cracks, he use only for s-video output and some cuda software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.