Google Video bosses convicted in Italy - for an uploaded video

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by horse, Feb 24, 2010.

1. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8533695.stm
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010...eed%3A+foxnews%2Fscitech+%28Text+-+SciTech%29

Essentially, a bullying video was uploaded to Google Video and an advocacy group for people with Down syndrome took Google to court, despite Google co-operating to catch those who created and uploaded the video.

Four executives in no way related to the incident were convicted in absentia.

I'm not sure how important this particular court is in Italy - any Italian gurus here? - however the case suggests Google should get permission from every person in every video uploaded; moderating them all. This is of course ridiculous and has massive implications for many internet sites.

On the bright side, hopefully this will get overturned on appeal; and I don't see this case setting any kind of international precedent as this is just one of a number of crazy legal decisions coming out from Italy in the last few years.

2. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    fail ?

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Italy is a joke isn't it? Loads of stuff like this? Loads of ebay sellers state will not ship to Zimbabwe, Somalia etc. and Italy. First two are obviously due to scams but never got why so many people refuse to sell to Italy. Quite alot of websites do it aswell.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    LOL man..Zimbabwe, Somalia, and italy..i wonder u have Turkey in that list :D

5. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Italians make good house music and hardstyle and that's about it looks like... lol.

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    We don't have to lump all of italy into the stupid decision of one court, so let's move away from the Italy bashing, thanks.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Thats just ... stupid ?

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    im all for democracy , but teenagers uploading crazy **** on youtube really makes me sick.

9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    You forgot their "love" for Ro... i mean Gypsies meh for them they are the same