Stability issues with all ram slots full - p55a-ud3(1156)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FinalJenemba, Feb 22, 2010.

1. FinalJenemba

FinalJenemba Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    Hi all, having some issues I could use a hand with. Im running a Gigabyte p55a-ud3 mobo with a corei7 860. The ram is 8gb (4x2gb) adata gamer 1600.

The mobo defults the ram to 1333 1.5v 9-9-9-24, the ram is rated for 1600 1.65-1.85 9-9-9-24.

Im fine with 1333, dont need or care about 1600 since im not overclocking. With 2 sticks installed (doesnt matter which sticks, iv tried them all) its perfectly stable.

But when I have all 4 sticks put in, I have stability issues in the form of random bluescreens and memtest errors. When i get memtest errors they are always the same, I get hundreds of errors in ever test, all at 4472.1 and 4472.2gb and 04000000 err-bits. Iv taken the ram out and shuffled the order twice, always the same.

Iv tested every stick indiviualy and in 4gb configurations like I said and they're all fine, so I dont think its the ram. I also thought it may be a non ram hardware issue so I swapped out the mobo and cpu, no difference. The only thing iv tried bios wise is upping the voltage from 1.5v to 1.6v, no effect.

Any ideas?

2. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I would try upping the northbridge voltage a tiny bit, having 4 sticks in increases the load on the memory controller so usually requires a little more voltage.

3. FinalJenemba

FinalJenemba Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    Gave it a shot, didnt seem to make any difference, I messed with all the voltages that could effect the ram, nothing., Anyone have any idea about timing maybe? Thats the only thing left I can think of...

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Is there a QPI voltage setting?

i would ramp that up to around 1.3v

5. FinalJenemba

FinalJenemba Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    Just gave that a shot, no luck. It really seems odd to me that all of the errors, and there are hundreds, are at exactly 4472.1 mb.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    This should not cause an issue as the motherboard should be able to adapt the system to accept full slots. AMD systems have had IMCs for more than half a decade so I don't see why it should fail on Intel implementations.

Are you sure that your RAM is supported by the board? If not, I'd replace those sticks of RAM or the board itself.

deltatux

7. FinalJenemba

FinalJenemba Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    The ram is specifically listed by Gigabyte as being compatible. And this is my second board, I rma'd the mobo and cpu because of this problem, and am still having the same issues.

8. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I would try really loose timings and put a big ram divider on so that its running at 1000mhz or so.

9. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    just try to use two stics and than the other two... think that ram has to be rma... I had same issues and found that one DC kit was faulty

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    He said he has tired that in the first post, the all work fine in pairs or on there own.

11. FinalJenemba

FinalJenemba Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    I didn't mess around with the timing much, but I tried busting it down to 800mhz, no effect. Iv been playing and iv had no problems getting 4gb to run awesome with tight timings at 1600. After exhaustive google searching iv found others with similar p55 boards having issues getting it to run with all the ram sticks being used, and most never get it to work.

At this point im so sick if screwing with this thing, I think im just gonna cut my losses, return 2 sticks, and run with 4gb. Its still blazing fast, 8gb was more of a future proofing thing anyway. Besides I wouldn't want 8gb if it meant id have to run it slow with sloppy timings, im not overclocking right now but that doesn't mean I don't want the option for the future. Maybe in a few years when 4gb sticks are cheap I can upgrade them. :)

Thanks for all the help!

12. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 1GB GDDR4