5970 problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by methanol88, Feb 22, 2010.

1. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Hey there, finally got my rig after 30 days of waiting, installed win 7 64 bit and catalyst 10.2, and installed some games to start playing.

However i seem to have fps problems on 1080p resolution (playing on a 32 HDTV). I ve been checking benchmarks of people in Resident evil 5 (ie in youtube) and i see them getting results of 110-200 fps, while on the dx10 benchmark i get at max 90 with the same settings (ofc unlocked fps, no v-sync). PC is new so i ve cleanly installed everything, also checked gpu-z and Crossfire is enabled. What is going on? :< Lets say screw the benchmark, inside the game last night in chapter 1-3 or something in the bridge i got 21 fps minimun while i was averaging 70, thats some weird stuff, what can be wrong? :S

Also in gta 4 while my benchmark shows 65 fps average in game quite some times i drop to 25-35 which doesnt seem right for this kind of card. I didnt pay 570 Euros to play in 25 fps obviously. The only game that looks ok afaik is dirt 2 and nfs shift, with fps ranging around 50-60 in game (more in nfs). My card is clocked at 900/1200 at around 1,165 volts and my i7 920 at 3.2 ghz since i m waiting for my new cooler (i m probably a bit bottlenecked by the cpu too, would it make such a difference though?). Temps are quite good too so i guess its not throttling back and stuff.

Lastly how do you guys set up your CCC? apart from using profiles now, do you tamper with them anyways for each game or use just the in game settings and leave everything at application?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    As long as the game has AA and AF options, its best to leave everything else in CCC on application settings.

Make sure that box is selected under AA (This matters, even if you have it using the application's AA and make sure Multi-Sample anti aliasing is selected with the slider. Super Sampling and Adaptive can be problematic in some games.

Also, ensure that Catalyst AI is checked and crossfire is enabled.

Lastly, can we see a screenshot of the GPU-Z sensors tab?

I don't think your processor is to blame at all.

3. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    [​IMG] just after some load, max C isnt over 80 with my fan settings in MSI afterburner.

a bit later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the main page:
    [​IMG]

Did everything you said as well, noticed a small improvement in RE5 bench

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Run the benchmark and post the exact results, so we can see if it's really normal or not.

The RE5 one I mean.

Temps look good though, so it's not that.

5. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    i actually was suspicious of something, so i rechecked the settigns in the CCC and rebooted my pc, i got a bump of 40-50 fps in the benchmark so i guess that was the problem, i m gonna check it in gta 4 as well during gameplay. Here's the screenshot you asked, much better than 85 average -.-

[​IMG]

yay for normal fraps not screenshoting in jpeg :biggun:

Really thanks however for helping me

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What was the setting you finally had to change, for anyone who eventually googles this?

7. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Setting the AA mode to multisampling and rebooting seemed to do the job so far. Also rechecked BOX AA mode. Thank you again, gonna check more games now.

8. ATI DOMINATOR

ATI DOMINATOR Member

GPU:
    2xSapphire 5850 CF
    Last thing,i suggest you to play RE5 in directx9 mode(not benchmark,talking about game),no visual difference between directx10(Capcom said that),you can get over some weird permormance drops with directx9.

9. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    sooo, since i already have a thread with a suitable title, and i ve been plagued by problems since the first few days i got my rig, lets go again one more time, hopefully the last.

1st: a technical question, all you guys mention your 3dmark vantage results. In what presets you run it to get those ~25k scores for the gpu? (obviously with 5970). I ran it at all extreme at 1080p with 8 AA 16 AF and max PP and got a gpu score of 19k and i didnt know what to think. Obviously CF is enabled. In youtube i see most people running it in performance preset.

2nd: With the exception of MW2, Dirt2, NFS shift, Resident evil 5, Mass effect 2 and AvP where i have rock solid fps i m encountering fps problems in the minimum department in others. GTA 4 reports 65 average in the bench with all max'd but in game drops quite sometimes in 30-40's. Might be a cpu bottleneck since that game is cpu heavy, waiting for my cooler to arrive so its not a real concern i guess. Bad company 2 runs at 80-100 average with rare drops to the 40-50's so its good enough. Dragon age origins runs in game averaging 80-300 fps yet in some ridiculous situations it drops at 25-40 making it choppy on my 32 inch.
    As i previously stated i didnt shell out 600 euros to play those games with such framerates. Mind that i game at 1080p with usually 4 AA and 16 AF, vsync disabled, CF enabled, Multisample AA. I did a clean reinstall of 10.2 catalyst's, but i didnt boot in safe mode to use driversweeper, is that a problem?

Is it safe to say that my CPU is bottlenecking my card, or are those the results i should be getting indeed?

3rd and last: During 3d games i m getting freezes, total screen freezes, though that occurs rarely now and i have to reboot the system. I think it has to do with the driver has stopped responding in the background. Any solution to that? I m running the card at 850/1200 now at 1.164 with no artifacts and good temps. Cpu is just OC'd at 160x20 with turbo disabled, rest is untouched for the obvious reasons i lack a cooler and experience atm and i dont wanna meddle with it much. Should i just load optimized defaults? :<

Sorry for the wall of text

PS. Will that PSU handle a 5970+5850 in the future or i need a 1000W one?

EDIT UPDATE: on the performance test i got 25k GPU score but on the 2 cpu tests around 19k, bottleneck ftl?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    for the gpu score of 25k, they generally do a P test and OC the hell out of it. on my setup i score about 23-24k with both my cards at 960/1125, so your score is fairly good at those clocks.

i7 is only a small bottleneck tbh, its not much of a bottleneck if you play at resolutions higher than 1680x1050. my cpu is more of a bottleneck, my phenom ii x4 at 3.8ghz only scores 13k cpu score in the p test...

extreme scores are better for comparisons with a card of your level as the test runs at a higher resolution which minimises cpu bottlenecks.

there should be a few threads about dragon age that you can find here that should provide some useful tips. i dont think bc2 has a crossfire profile just yet, as the game isnt out in some countries yet so id wait for the next driver/crossfire profile batch from ati for that. and as for gta4... it generally runs like crap on a lot of computers. mine averages 55fps, with frequent dips to 30fps, but i have a terrible cpu (for gta4 anyway). if you google optimising gta4, you can find a whole bunch of mods that improve the fps in the game (at the cost of loading times in some cases). are you sure you arent getting some hdd lag in gta4? what hdd are you running?

11. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Running a standard WD 640gb 7200 as i cant afford an SSD atm, loading times in gta seem good never noticed a problem there, i heard the optimization and memory fixes there cause a lot of crashes too, if i notice that i can just revert it or i have to reinstall?

Thanks for the reply mate.

For anyone who cares, Battlefield is actually really good. Nice graphics, decent difficulty, vast maps after the first missions, some really bad animations during death, as in corpses hanging from ladders like ragdolls with glue, amazing explosions. It has a slightly less frantic pace than MW2 but i bonded with the 4 characters way more. Only the the facial presentation isn't that amazing on some characters. Definatelly a must buy for people that like the genre, and love multiplayer.

Update. Good experience, pathetic single player campaign, shorter than MW2 afaik

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Yay for more persistent problems. Now that i have solved everything else regarding in game performance, i have one last remaining which is the most annoying. Been playing 3d games sometimes for hours, sometimes for days, sometimes for minutes before a screen freeze makes its appearance. Screen freezes like a screenshot i can hear either looping sound or none at all and i have to manually restart the pc. Is my card faulty or something? It's utterly bollocks. my temps never go above 85-88. I ve seen many having pretty much the same problem but no solution. Could it be that the small overclock at 3.2 ive done on my cpu is causing instability? Because the issue is only in games and happens randomly.

Piece of crap cards i might sell it for fermi

UPDATE: i just ran furmark 64 at 900/1200 at around 1.174 volts and after 120 seconds at 85 C the pc rebooted. OC instability or card failure? i ll ran at 850 and see

No crash at 850/1200 so far but never had a problem with temps and artifacts, puzzling stuff

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    personally id say run it at stock clocks and volts and see if it crashes. sometimes OCs are only stable for certain games and certain programs. ie. i can run my cards at 960/1125 with no overvolting and its perfectly stable for mass effect 2, but it needs a few more mV to be stable in mw2.

another thing to check is that the card is seated in the pcie slot properly. if it isnt then it can cause random crashing (if youre lucky enough to get it to boot with it not seated properly that is)