Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    It seems like you can't think of any aspect of Deus Ex that hasn't been improved upon recently. Instead, you just say "the whole package." To me that suggests that you just really like Deus Ex, and don't like other games because they aren't exactly the same as the ones you like: DE and SS2.

Impossible to make a definitive list. Diablo 1&2, Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Counter-Strike, and Dawn of War come to mind though.

The only things ME has in common with Gears of War are the cover system and UT3 engine. ME2 has less RPG elements than ME1, but the character classes, experience/skill system, upgradeable items, and NPC party mechanics are all there.

If anything ME2 is more RPG-ish than Deus Ex, which was very much RPG-lite.

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Lol at the best PC game list, but you have good taste in there. I have all of those except the original counterstrike and dawn of war

3. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Ok, let's see:

1. Skill System/Augmentations in Deus Ex are a lot more usefull, and have much bigger impact on your style of gameplay then the one in Mass Effect, Bioshock, or any other next gen shooters you are talking about. Which by the way is one of main aspects of what makes a great rpg.

2. You logic of "...can't think of any aspect of Deus Ex that hasn't been improved upon recently" is nonsense. That would be like me saying; "Well Planescape Torment has better dialog then Mass Effect 2, hence Mass Effect is ****." See, how that works? The deal with Deus Ex, is that it's one of those games who's strength really is "Everything but the kitchen sink" design. And no main stream game since has tryed to do as much as Deus Ex has, that's a fact.

3. What I meant with "non linear ways to get trough it's enviroment" is that in Deus ex, just about every single level had multiple paths for you to utilize. Which meant that you could apply the skills/augementations you've selected in the best way possible (something no games since had done so well).You usually had couple of ways of getting in to building, and then a dozen or so ways to go about your business once inside.

4. Then you had the multiple ways of dealing with enemies that went way above just shooting/sneaking. Levels were designed so that you could make maximum use of your skill set/creativity, you could push down heavy objects on enemies, poision the air, set up traps, sneak, hack, shoot etc. The game really responded to whatever you were doing, regardless of how stupid or creative you decisions might have been. And it's actually really sad that for all the talk of immersion now days, and technology we have today, not a game since has reached the level of interactivity Deus Ex had with it's enviroment. That's what "extensive gameplay options" meant by the way.

5. The attention to detail in Deus Ex is still unsurprased. Things such as smoke tripping lasers for example, or how detailed all the background information is (try reading description descriptions in Deus Ex vs Mess Effect for example). Not to mention all the info you could gain by going around reading newspapers, brouchers, hacking pc's or eavesdroping.

6. Still confused why insist on talking about the game you've clearly never actually played properly, but whatever.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Would you consider all of those games you listed as "unplayable now"?

5. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    1. Not really. Skills/"augmentations" are present in practically every game ever made with RPG elements. Deus Ex's skills aren't inherently better than any other skills.

2. Yeah that would be fine if you could say "Deus Ex has better dialogue than Mass Effect 2," but you can't because the dialogue in DE is crap compared to ME2. Deus Ex was not the pinnacle of gaming, that's why you can't name a single aspect that hasn't been done better in the last 10 years.

3. Is Deus Ex the only game you've ever played? Practically every game these days gives you choices regarding how you kill an enemy or approach an objective.

4. See above

5. Lawl no. If you wanted to try to make this point you shouldn't have used Mass Effect as an example. The codex in ME/ME2 is huge and the setting is very well documented.

6. Oh I played it properly, back when it was still cutting edge. I'm confused how you can still play it when it looks and probably feels like garbage. I'll bet it feels primitive as hell compared to modern first-person games.

Yeah pretty much, except for Counter-Strike: Source. Diablo 2 is also having a new patch soon, but I doubt I will be able to bring myself to reinstall it.

6. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    ^^ wow....thats too bad that you feel that way....it must really suck to be so much of a graphics whore that you miss out on alot of fun......but...too each their own.

In my opinion all of those games are very playable.

Like someone has already mentioned I think we just agree to disagree.

There are alot of new pretty games to play out there...only problem is most of them have "consolitis"....and alot of them also suck....but hey....they look nice :)......enjoy.

7. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    I'm sorry but a dialog choice amounting to "kill the bad guy" or "let the bad guy live" doesn't amount to a significant choice regarding how you approach an objective, which is what modern games exclusively consider "role playing." The last recent game which seemed to understand that was The Witcher, which I'm sure you hated too.

8. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Most definitely worth getting, one of the greatest PC games of all time. If you didn't play when it originally came out and you are used to eye-candy it will be an eye sore at first...but the game play will suck you in and no time and you won't give a damn!

9. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    What are you talking about? The Witcher had zero choice about how to approach an enemy. You just quaffed a bunch of pots and spammed your mouse button.

10. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    The Witcher had MEANINGFUL CHOICES given to the player which had an ACTUAL IMPACT on the game's world beyond changing two or three lines of dialog, which is what is considered "role playing" according to BioWare's latest and greatest. I'm not talking about Witcher combat, I know it had boring combat, but it was leaps and bounds better as an RPG, just like Deus Ex is (still) leaps and bounds better... as an RPG... than any **** today.

11. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    [​IMG]

Peter, good list of games there. That is basically my list minus Fallout because I am not a huge fan.

Also I would say Company of Heroes deserves to be there in place of DoW, even though they are basically the same.

I'm also still waiting for someone to mention one aspect of Deus Ex that makes it better than modern games.

12. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    1.) Reading comprehension problems? I said that skills/ags. in Deus Ex had much bigger impact on gameplay than skills do in for example Mass Effect. (which actually does make them "better", as far as rpg aspects go)
    Saying otherwise, just means you never actually played the game.

2.) Another reading failure. I was pointing out how retarded your "aspects done better in other games" logic is. I'll use Mass Effect as an example, since you seem to be all about next gen. Dialog = better in Planescape Torment, Shooting = Better in most fps action games, Choices & Consiquences = Better in Fallout, Skill System = Better in crap load of games (inluding Deus Ex), Graphics = Crysis. So, according to your logic Mass Effect isn't worth playing because other games do it's single elements better. Games are sum of their parts, K? Not sure how to make it clearer for you.

3.) No they don't, none of the games you've mentioned have the amount of freedom when it comes to interacting with the game world as Deus Ex. Not Bioshock, not Stalker, and defenitly not Mass Effect.

4.) I wasn't talking about game codex, I clearly wrote "attention to detail" within the game (you seriously should read harder).
    Again, I even took the time to explain it to you, as despite your claims, I am 100% sure you've never actually played Deus Ex.
    But since you seem to be a graphics whore, perhaps this will help:

Mass Effect:

[​IMG]

Deus Ex:

[​IMG]

13. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    Dude, you can post all the screens and comparisons you want, but in the end Deus Ex is still hopelessly outdated.

14. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    The possibilities to play trough it has not been surpassed by any game i know of. show me one fps that is cyberpunk and lets you playtrough without killing anything.

bioshock was supposed to be better then its predecessor (SS1/SS2). it was nowhere near that complex. i would rather have seen a remake of system shock 1 then bioshock. dont even get me started on bad controls and the ****ty mouse acceleration since it was designed to be played on consoles.

Light Years? how is ME2 not linear? you can choose which crewmembers you want to collect in what order. and yes you can choose wether you want to do certain missions or not. but that doesnt affect linearity. if you can chose between a, b, c and you want to do it in the order of c, a, b - the end result is still you have to go and do D.

That review is realy great. you need a litle bit of black humor to watch it, but most of the things he talks about are very valid points. if i can read trough your posts, you can watch his review :)

the problem with fallout3 is - you have to basicly kill everything. same kind of trash as ME2. it doesnt matter much in which order you do the quests. you gotta do the mainquest anyways. and deus ex has ALOT of sidequests. you just need to take your time and explore the surroundings.

if you dont know the game, you might want to play it trough a couple times. i personaly did because everytime i replayed it, i found places and things i had never seen before in the game. maybe the first time you play it trough for the sake of knowing how it ends. the second time you will take more time and actualy explore and read trough the things you are presented. in hong kong i found several ways of entering and exiting certain locations, that i have never seen before. and thats just one example.

in my opinion. Deus Ex still has to be surpased by any game up to date. and mass effect nor bioshock have managed to do so. why? because they are designed for consoles. and that limits them to either having great graphics but limited gameplay or bad graphics and many approaches to gameplay - which is the case in deus ex.

p.s.: "bad graphics" isnt realy something i would say for DX. its just old. but mr. molyneux, i still play dungeon keeper 1 from time to time. does the age make the game crap? i definetly dont think so. (its your game afaik=)

15. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    So what you are saying is, we can post tangible proof that various features of Deus Ex are more fleshed out than most modern games, and you in turn will ignore them based on some sort of self righteousness?

At least you admitted it, good for you. :)

16. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -Characterization in DX1 is far better then ME1/2.
    -Weapons, More choices, more possibilities
    -example hells kitchen generator. i can think of at least 4 ways to take down the generator (lethal and nonlethal) - in ME1/2, the approach is allways the same. just the powers/weapons you use when killing your opponents is different.

for somebody that said DX is worse then ME2 just because its old, i dont understand how any of these games can be your favorites :) correct me if im wrong - but this somewhat prooves my point, that you simply havent spend the amount of time with DX then others. of course i admit, its not everybodies kind of game, but thats not what we are discussing here.

what about you telling us, what is so different between the two. i dont realy see much RPG elements in both mass effect titles. its not like you start as crap and then you choose the way you want to go while playing. you startout with presets and they dont change a single bit. thats why in mass effect 1 i dont bother with other classes and go straight for soldier/shocktrooper - if i have to kill everything, i might aswell be efficient.

ME2 is more "RPG-lite" then DX. and that is pretty much fact. reason as stated above

17. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    How many people will choose to play Deus Ex over Mass Effect 2 these days? None.

If someone asked me to replay this:

[​IMG]

I would hang myself.

18. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
  19. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU: