Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I don't personally have the problem with either of my cards, however I am 90% certain this is a voltage issue. I think some of the cards just can't properly run at 1.125v

To anyone having the problem if you would simply load up MSI Afterburner, go into the program's folder, find MSIafterburner.cfg and change "EnableUnofficialOverclocking" to 1.

After that, set the clock speed of the card to 850//1200 and change the voltage of the core to 1.2v. See if that helps.

Also, this error can be caused by an unstable CPU, so MAKE SURE before you bitch that your CPU is 100% stable using an appropriate testing program (3dmark doesn't count).

2. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    I lucklily got a refund for my XFX 5870 XXX ... But has taked nearly 2 weeks... In my hand (just been delivered today)
    Is a shiny new sapphire 5870 vapor x.... Let's see how this one does!

3. imjelena

imjelena Member

GPU:
    hd 5770
    Ive read in drivers section that issue for some ppl was solved with new drivers released yeterday.10,1

4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Just had my first crash (white screen) while watching a video on youtube. Catalyst 10.1 WHQL. First I've had in quite a while though.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
  6. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Im sooo lucky im one of them who only happens Just in Idle and that i use my ati 3300HD for windows environment!!

thanks for the link:)!!

7. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    People say... bad stuff happens.. Just sell it.. Then use nvidia and everything will be cool..
    :) Just joking! I love these cards.. there has been problems.. When you have an unstable cpu it happens.. There's a fix and ways around everything. I just dont know if you should be fixing your gfx card while your fixing your cpu at the same time. just does'nt seem right.
    Maybe there will be a fix...maybe not.. all I have to say so far is that these cards rock performance!! :) All you need to do is buy some Liquid nitrogen, create a loop to the 5 series and wam!!! no grey screen. :) -80c with no grey screen crash.. it works great!
    Just make sure you have enough to last a day.. Also. dont splash it on yourself.. be really careful. I dont know if this solution will work for everyone but it's nice to have a sense of humor every now and then when problems arise.. I hope this gets fixed soon!! :) cheers you guys!! -Beaux

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Had another one, the first time in three weeks or something. And how did this happen? Well, I raised the fsb up 5 to 395 instead of 390 and had a gray screen of bars instantly at boot. With 5 hours plus at 390 fsb it hasn't happened again.

9. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    There is something very odd going on. One guy was able to stop the grey bars showing up by considerably downclocking HD 5770. He now only notices major hiccups few times a day, barely makes it to desktop again.

10. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    I managed to stop all crashing by changing idle clocks in created profile to gpu 400 and memory 900 on my xfx 5770. I tried that in december sometime before official 9.12 i think. No crashing since, but tried running the 157/300 again instant crash. Unavoidable.

400/900 is the same clock windows media player uses, i think its the lowest 2d clock the card sets. Funny thing that it goes to a 600/1200 in firefox isnt firefox still 2d application isnt that mid-3d clock.:)

I dont know if my card will survive that clock, but ive had it for almost 2 months sometimes computer been on 24/7 for weeks and no issues. When i set to stock idle greyscreens etc appear within minutes. Also tried clocks below 400/900 takes a bit longer but it crashes eventually. 400/900 stable all the time i dont overclock the card and i have everything else at stock. Only worrie is the voltage might be to low but i dont dare change that.

EDIT: ive had this card a long time its a reference design bought it in late august i think or was it september.:) Ive struggled alot with this scary issue. First i thought it was broken but i dont want to wait out an rma so i tried to find if it was software/driver related or something in bios etc, i bought ram and cpu almost same time so i wasnt sure of the issue was gpu either. But this trick is was fixes it for me, but im still not sure when the clocks are higher in my profile will the low voltage hold it up?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010

11. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    I know, double post from driver forum. I just want everyone to read up on what happened.:)

Hm this is interesting, tried lower the voltage for my ram yesterday. My ram are running dual channel low latency kit. Recommended voltage is 2.1-2.2. I lowered them to 2.1 just to see if they were stable at lowest recommended voltage.

After that i got a couple of these ati crashes. White out, grey bars etc. Long time i saw those last time.

But when i increased voltage for my ram sticks the crashes dissapeared.

Maybe the crashes are related to how you set up ram in bios, maybe its because of the new stream technology when gpu/cpu tries to work a bottleneck occurs with shifting speed voltage on components and WHAM! scary ****ing freeze occurs.

12. Nymphie

Nymphie Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DCU2
  13. mangueJOE

mangueJOE New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB
    10.2 is out. And under RESOLVED issues it says grey screen is resolve. Could it be?!?!?!?

14. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    well has it fixed it then ????? i get my f*cking Asus CuCore 5770 tomorrow i ordered just before i read this fricking thread :(

15. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak

Had a black screen this morning shortly after cold booting in a game.

So in a way it's fixed, but changing the color of my lockup screen is not a fix ATI ><

16. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    So far so good for me, i got the Asus CuCore 5770 and ive overclocked it to 1000 core and 1350 mem without tweaking the Vcore yet :)

No crashes or anything to report.

17. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    I knew that you just were overeacting, haha.

1Ghz without touching vcore? Nice! :)

18. kortik

kortik Active Member

well today my 2 xfx 5870 xxx edition in crossfire crashed to the gray screen.
    Never happend before I've had these cards on for one week

i7 920 4Ghz
    corsair 850w psu
    gygabyte x58a-ud3 Mobo
    corsair memory 1600 7-8-7-20
    two xfx 5870 xxx cards

anysolution to this probelm yet.

I am running catalyst 10.2

19. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

Nah my CuCore comes with the Vcore tweaked to 1.2 so its not fair.

i get 1000 core at 1.2v

On Topic, i get Grey Screen crash with Just Cause 2 but only if my mem is overclocked, set it too defaults and it never crashes.

i can runn all benchies and other games fine at 1350 mem but anything over 1200 with Just cause 2 crashes 10mins in with the demo :( Grey screen and then back to desktop.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  20. irfy

irfy New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    I still get the damned Gray Screen Crash now with a Orange stripped crash screen. The 10.2 hotfix has not worked for me and I'm looking to RMA this card ASAP from MESH.