AMD/ATI Radeon HD6800 XT (Northern Islands Next Generation ATIs GPUs) Rumour...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I've had zero driver problems with my ati cards since x1900xtx and well i had zero problems with nvidia tho last one i used was 7800gtx :D

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    me 2 :)

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well it looks like this will be my next upgrade , i got tired of nvidia lying and the delays of fermi , i rather wait a bit more and upgrade to HD6800 XT.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Dont lie. You know you'll get one to see how it OCs

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    :D you know me too well , hahahhaa.

6. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    To bad that some people endure ATi related crashes. I have never had any ATi related crashes except with the BETA ones. Oh, and 7.11 on my good'ol X1950XTX. That didn't work very well on XP.

HD6800 XT huh? I wonder...

7. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    I doubt it going to called "XT"

ATI has quit that confusing naming system a long while ago.
    and stick with the number system we are using now.

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

that graph doesn't take into account the market share of each brand, thus unfair.

It's like saying that a VW goes more to the workshop than a Fiat.
    Of course it does, they sell like 3 times more!!!!

9. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    Lets assume ATI double everything so:

3200 stream processors
    64 ROPS
    160 Texture units
    2GB of DDR5 (maybe 512bit bus)

least it should be interesting and might make nvidia think twice before releasing fermi :p

10. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I think it's a general misconception that even I (I wouldnt exactly call myself an expert, but I definitly have a higher then usual knowledge of that kind of stuff) have perpetrated. By thinking I couldn't play Far Cry 2, where the window would blink in loading for a few seconds then disapearing. Which only started occuring after changing drivers. The thing is I couldn't ever fix it by changing drivers. And I let this slide since Far Cry 2's release but only recently have I figured out it was the local FC2 cache that needed to be deleted (possibly just some twinks for FOV wouldn't work after the ATI drivers update of my 4870x2).

So all that time I was bitching at ATI drivers while it was only this simple mistake or necessary cleanup (it seems with STEAM uninstalling while keeping games file also keeps the ini file in, mistake I won't make again)

In either cases, this with Chipsy saying he'd rather have that card, is an opinion I respect a lot, will make me rethink about that fermi card I was planning on getting. I guess we'll have to see what HH has to say about them fermi cards when they come out, I can already pre-thank Hilbert for the great review he's going to make of those fermi cards (I'm an Hilbert fanboi)

11. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    HD6800XT seems like a nice upgarde :) That name reminds me my old X800 XT PE... good times !

I had some issues with my cards in crossfireX so I tought the drivers were to blame, I was shocked because it was the first time I would have problems with ATI but I did some testing and I found out the oc on the video memory was causing the crashes.

ATI drivers are pretty solid.

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    it still shows some truth tho..although nvidia was equipped in more comps then ati with vista(which we really dont know because market share doesnt = the person having vista)..but surely there wasnt more comps with nvidia then intel..and still beats them out as far as crashes..and nvidia CERTAINLY wasn't in more boxes then microsoft it self..which it beat out as well

as far as the car analogy..they don't test cars like that to see which is "more" reliable...they take 100 cars from each manufacturer and see how many problems there are...

13. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Lol if this keeps on going the gap between enthusiast and main stream will be so large that <fill in consequences here>*

*Enthusiasts will end up upgrading to play their crappy looking games not with 32xAA running at 100+FPS, but with 64xAA at 200+FPS. (apart from a few exclusive titles (like Crysis))
    *All mainstream gamers will be unable to keep up with the pc and switch to consoles
    *We will all die in 2012

14. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    keep up with what and why? Their cards are strong enough to play any game.

15. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    +1
    For sure

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Minimum system requirements are increasing rapidly, though. And playing a game on low settings isn't always satisfying as is playing at framerates lower than 30FPS. Might be a stimulus to switch to consoles where everybody has the same hardware and you're more or less ensured of a playable framerate.
    If we are to have photorealistic graphics, perhaps on the PS4, Project Natal, more likely with future enthusiast pc hardware, you are not going to have an enjoyable experience with your GT240.

Also sticking with a console that will last for a few years with games that can look quite decent is far more convenient than upgrading your expensive PC every half year, where videocards can cost more than an entire console

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  17. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Look, at this point in time a 5870 or Fermi equivalent will be more than enough. It costs alot, as it is, and only for the sake of having DX11 support.

If DX11.1 requires a new video card to support it, then the graphics industry can screw itself.

I've been using a 4870, up until a few days ago, and it's managed to play EVERYTHING on highest details (no AA, though) on 1600x1200 with no issues. Even Crysis was very playable indeed.

As long as the ATi 5xxx series can support DX11.1, i'm happy. The 6xxx series will be faster....yeah, yeah....as if we really need SOOOOOOOO much power. The 5xxx series is already a beast as it is; not to mention Fermi's presence just around the corner.

The companies need to relax and allow devs to take advantage of the tech....and to allow us consumers to enjoy the products, dammit! :p

r2rX :D

18. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    No, Min. system requirements are not increasing rapidly. Consoles play at low settings, at 30fps, sometimes not even 720p, jaggies everywhere and no AF.

A cheap system to run games for many years or at least for this console generation look for a 8800gt / hd4850 or equivalent... that s sub $100.

Your second statement isnt true and it is pretty ignorant.

19. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Really waiting for this. Wasn't really convinced to spend so much on 5870 when my card is performing to my requirements:banana:

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I agree. I can barely play my console. All the games are rendered at 720p or worse and upscaled to 1080. They look washed out and jaggy. Like trash. Plays slow and you're still not guaranteed no slowdowns.