Winamp / Foobar tricks,tips and screenshots

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, I figured with many around here using these players, it may be a cool thread to show others what your player looks like. Both Winamp and Foobar have many configuraiton options allowing very different setups from person to person.
    You can offers tips and tricks or if you have questions...post them here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I will start out with a few shots of one of my Foobar configurations:

[​IMG]

Well you click the arrow on the upper right by the 50cent album the entire album lists slide over. Such as:

[​IMG]

I usually use ASIO output and have the player configured to use both VST and DirectX based audio effects if I wish.
    I try and keep my audio as clean as possible coming out of the player but keep these affect handy to experiment with.

Show us some screenshots of what you're using!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    When I was using winamp I used ASIO plugin, but now I use Itunes since Winamp gets annoying for internet streams. Plus I like the stations thats on Itune radio over winamp.

I pretty much have the default foobar for playing music files.Some times I use ASIo plugin on foobar. But becaouse now I use wasapi or whatever it called.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    this is how i set my winamp,
    [​IMG]

Im not using asio or i lose volume control and i have EQ disabled although i've set it to Constant EQ and winamp freq. bands (sounds a bit richer and fuller this way).
    And i use windows output volume for preventing clipping (5 steps lower).

5. [​IMG]

^This, in winamp. No EQ settings. ..Still "tinkering" with this new card, love it!

May have to try the ASIO plug-in, you all mentioned.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Ive used winamp for nearly 12 years, however the lastest version i have ever installed which just hangs and does nothing when i first load it up and set my media folder( lol, left it for over an hour and still nothing ), so ive thrown in the towel and decided its now crap( also insists on setting my filetypes back to winamp again )

So, i need a new player, is foobar any good? i like the look of it modded :)

Soz for off topic, its kinda on topic though lol

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nothing fancy here, just basic GUI and simplest settings for best audio quality.

Winamp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a very plain Foobar compared to ROBSCIX
    [​IMG]

8. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    I've found George Yohng's VST Wrapper and the FerricTDS VST set to gentle levelling have a subtle but pleasant affect on my music.

Another thing I've found (which admitedly has nothing to do with mediaq players), and you're gonna laugh at this one, is placing 4 tennis balls under my Z5500's sub has greatly improved my speakers stereo image, and the sharpness and punch of the bass.
    I discovered this after reading this thread regarding the SubDude.
    The SubDude does look like a useful piece of kit for those of us with hollow floors, and i've no doubt it does a better job, but tennis balls have a similar affect. Simply put they decoupling the sub from the floor.

The "science" behind this (as one of the posters explained) is that because the sub is causing far less vibrations in the floor (which effectively turns your floor in to one big speaker) the bass becomes less muddy. It also becomes harder to tell where the bass is originating from, thus improving the stereo image, and I can confirm.

Tennis balls FTW!

[​IMG]

Feel free to laugh. I did.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nah, it makes perfect sense, im guessing this would be especially good for someone who has wood flooring.
    My sub is never used for Stereo music, but im sure i'd hear the improvements with multi-channel sources too.

Do you put the 4 full tennis balls under the feet of the sub?

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    interesting never heard of this before, but looks like it has few issues and its 16bit only..

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Actually just read what you have to do in that thread Meocene, not sure of the stability of my sub balancing on four tennis balls, but will give it a try.

I have a audiophile mate, whos cuts tennis balls and half and has them underneath his Amp, CD player...

12. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    My subs heavy enough to sligtly compress the balls so stabilities not an issue.
    And yeah, 4 balls under each foot. Is the pic in my msg not displaying?

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Will grab some tomorrow and give it a try, mine should be too providing the balls aren't too good quality lol.

Nope, don't see a pic.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    lol :D sounds funny but interesting.

I think im gonna give this a try, my sub is under the table and sometimes it sounds to hard and punchy..

So full balls or cut in half?

15. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    Full. Another tip I keep reading: GET THAT SUB OFF THE FLOOR... and out of enclosed spaces... and preferably at the same level as the rest of your speakers. Subs need room breath apparently.

Sorry to hijack this thread Rob. What VST/DX plugins do you use?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You should not be able to tell where the bass is coming from, if you can then your subwoofer is too loud. If you put the sub in the corner it will "corner load" the subwoofer and produce more bass. Might be something for people with small subwoofer and big rooms..etc.
    My DX, VST plugins? I have many,many installed for studio work but I don't use them with winamp very often. Unless I am messing around or tring to do a certain task...etc.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I have my sub inbetween my front floorstanders, of equal distance from each other.

Think the only dsp's i use are in Foobar, and are the Sox Resampler for 88.2khz stuff going through wasapi, and Dolby Headphone which is really growning on me.

18. soddit112

soddit112 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX560 Ti
    that OpenAL plugin is actually very stable, the 3D effects dont work too well though. I helped beta test it while i was using it, and am responsible for a lot of the bug reports on the sourceforge page :) You can check it out here

im now using a WASAPI output plugin, download here, Winamp forum thread here. It's still under development so I'm sure the creator would appreciate any feedback you guys can give him :). Apparently it can dynamically shift between exclusive and shared mode, but this seems to be broken at the minute, as does going between 24 and 16 bit audio :(

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Cheers for that, will test it and report any issues.
    wasapi has been the one thing that has stopped me using Winamp as much the last year or so.

20. antsh

antsh Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 Ti
    Hey Rob,

Mind sharing the components your using for your foobar setup and where you got them? You can PM me if it takes too much space here.