Ati Catalyst 10.1 Grey Screen hotfix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Feb 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)

I lol'd...Looks like whe got another screen of death. This is why Im waiting longer to get a 5 series card.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

please somebody insert GSOD in wikipedia.........

3. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Someone needs to make a definition for GSOD with no flaming and few misspells.

4. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)

5. Linuxfan

Linuxfan Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870
    Does the 9.12 hotfixes work the best with your 5870 or do you use the regular 9.12s? I got the 10.1 hotfix driver and vantage doesn't have the same performance that the 9.12 hotfix had, it scales likethe 9.11s... :(
    I'm thinking I need to rollback...

6. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

This is bull****. Even with 9.12, I still get grey screen every now and then... Come on ATi, step it up.

7. kasper93

kasper93 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 390
    @gaintbeam
    We all know that ;/
    Try this ones.
    It helps me a little: no more crash on YT 1080p and from yesterday no grey screen
    Regards

8. DrLightman

DrLightman Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 XT
    I didn't want to belive that, but in the end, my gsod/stripes where caused maybe by a not fully tested stock oc version of 5870 (XFX XT). I reduced core clock to 850 (-25Mhz) and raised core voltage to 1.190V (+0.015V), left memory to 1300Mhz, and the stripes/gsod are gone, as it's gone the reason why my card should be an XT, the core clock to 865 that it cant hold for more than 5-10 minutes.

9. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If it can't maintain the factory overclock you should return it, it's a faulty product. Don't bother messing with voltages. Manufacters have the obligation to test their products not the consumers.

10. DrLightman

DrLightman Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 XT
    The fact is the problem appears only in one game I've tried so far, STALKER, all other games I've tried, L4D, L4D2, Bioshock2, run. If I tell them "you've to test the card with STALKER" they could argue it's a game problem, and in the meanwhile I'll be without a card for 2-3 months minimum, since I bought it online. I think I was unlucky and they won, this time, I'd rather stay with the hybrid version 850/1300.

11. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

How much do you guys think the grey screen crash has to do with gpu voltages? My card goes to 1.125v when its at 850/1200... is that enough voltage? Should it be higher?

12. offmarsboy

offmarsboy Member

GPU:
    HD5850 @ 850/1200mhz
    when comes out the hot fix for 5700series ?

13. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    it doesn´t matter because this one doesn´t work even in 5800 series. they need to fix this asap

14. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    This fix worked fine for me on 5970 did not have a gray screen since I installed this when it first came out.

15. DrLightman

DrLightman Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 XT
    Does anybody know what vertical grey stripes mean?

When we have a BSOD we know it's blue because the microsoft developers decided to paint it that way, but why those vertical grey stripes happens? Why no error messages are output or either logged somewhere, there is no way to intercept this faulty condition to gather more feedback from the thousand of users who are experiencing this in order to debug the thing better?

16. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350

Don't know what it means,but it's related with the HD5xxx-cards.
    Before I had the 5850, I never had the stripes.
    Now only had it 2-3 times,because of a instable pc (was stresstesting LinX)

Maybe it's because of the memory error detection with gddr5?

17. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

This isn't a "fix"... all the drivers released after this hotfix only allows you to resume the game (50% chance) after your screen greys out or blacks out. But you got that little icon on your taskbar afterwards that doesn't tell you what the error is. Yes, at least you don't have to reboot but it doesn't fix the problem, only tries to allow the end user to keep going.

18. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I never had a gray screen crash just whenever the screen goes into sleep mode (after screen saver) No other harmful effects at all. This happened from the get go when I installed my Sapphire 5850 in my rigg.
    But after a safe mode clean removal and installation of

Driver Packaging Version 8.703-100210a-095560E
    Which I got linked from this forum, the problem went away
    OR it could be the clean removal is what did the trick(?)

19. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    I don't think so. I have exact your problems and this card was my first ATI in my life so before I've installed it I did a thorough uninstall/clean/reset CMOS to be sure that I removed any trace of my trusty GTX260 software and any potentially hardware settings in BIOS for my nVidia.
    Installed 10.1 Hotfix and dang GSOD after monitor sleeping or another one right on leaving a game and reaching in desktop. :D
    But after that latest beta I have now 7 days trouble free. :banana:
    TBH I don't even bother to try 10.2. Probably it's the first time when I'm breaking my motto: If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.

20. ragingsilver

ragingsilver Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi 5770
    So did this get rid of the grey screens or the lines? I was having it with my 5770 and win 7 64bit.