Opinions...30" monitor VS. 1080P 120hz LCD to add to "Eye" rig

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AlvinMaker, Feb 13, 2010.

1. AlvinMaker

AlvinMaker Member Guru

GPU:
    2XEVGA GTX480 SC
    OK, need some opinions...

I have been enjoying the heck out of my Eyefinity setup with my 5970, but my master plan all along has been to add a 30"+ above my 3 IPS displays on the wall, for video work, as well as for games like Crysis, that just won't max out at the exreme resolutions Eyefinity gives.

I am debating on whether to get a 30" LCD monitor (been eyeing the Dell 3008WFP), or a nice 32-40" 120hz LED LCD TV to put up there (obviously topping out at 1080p).

Anyone have any experience gaming on both?

I have NEVER gamed on anything but a true monitor, so I am leary on going to a more conventional "TV", but it DOES appear they are catching up in terms of refresh rate/etc...

I have a high end 40" LCD in my living room, and may - if I can talk myself into the hassle- drag my PC into that room to at least try it.

Just wondering what you guys prefer. Thanks in advance!

(apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place- mods please move if it is. I wasn't sure where to put it. I am usually in the ATI V.C. forum, so I came here first...you guys always have great advice! :banana: )

I guess I should add...the main factor is, go for a 40"+ LCD 120/240HZ tv vs. the 30" monitor?...Size vs. res... age old debate I am sure...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

I have both a 42" LG LED LH90 and 3008WFP in the bedroom. Overall - I prefer the 30" monitor for PC gaming. 2560x1600 resolution is just so crisp and clean that it can be hard to settle for 1080p once you've experienced it. Only downside is that it is a massive burden on the GPU. However, with a 5970 you're fine.

On the other hand, I do enjoy certain games on the big screen more, such as Resident Evil and STALKER. Those titles are all about the atmosphere and playing them on a larger screen enhances the experience. I sit about 3 feet away from the TV and on my 42" it's almost like being in a cinema. So I tend to switch between the two depending on what I'm playing but I prefer the 30" overall. Probably doesn't make your decision any easier :p

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I Own both , a 30'' monitor and a 46'' LCD HDTV 1080p , Hands Down the 46'' LCD HDTV 1080p its just amazing for my gaming needs and for my Mediacenter set up ,my vote goes for the LCD HDTV , the bigger the better. Its just so much better than i only game on my 46'' and im about to sell my 30'' Monitor :D , BioSchock 2 its very inmersive on a Huge screen like that. In my opinion get the biggest badest HDTV LCD you can afford , once you go bigger screen you never go back to smaller screens.

4. AlvinMaker

AlvinMaker Member Guru

GPU:
    2XEVGA GTX480 SC
    Interesting comments so far...

I forgot to mention, I also have access to a Benq 1080p projector, and considered hanging a screen behind my PC monitors, and using that for the "big screen/single screen" solution. Same category as a large flat panel, basically. I'll probably be able to get a 50-60" screen size with the distance/wall space I have available...Ahhh, yet another option...:bang:

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just as a FYI, a "120hz" TV is not true 120hz, it's 60hz sampled twice. Meaning that your hardware will only recognize it as a 60Hz display. Because of this, you won't get any benefit from using a "120hz" TV.

The double sampling rate is only good for movies. You won't notice any difference during gaming.

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    unless it's a tru-motion engine (like the sony's) that creates a intermediate frame

7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    It will still be recognized as a 60hz display and will only be able to display 60fps. Trust me, I have one of these sitting in my living room.

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    I was talking about the "displays a frame twice" part

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    So was I.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    So, do 120hz TV's have no benefit to motion smoothing when running a game?

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    ok, whatever, we agree, it's 60hz upsampled to 120hz, done

you said 60, displayed twice = 120hz... fine
    I said there's some models that make an intermediate frame... which is 120hz too

ON THE OUTPUT...

happy now brah?

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Maybe if the game is running at an incredibly low frame rate. Otherwise no, it won't.

I never disagreed with you.

Also, I'm not your "brah", so please don't call me that.

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    it does, in the models that have the feature I mentioned, since it's on the LCD... granted it's not a true frame made by the PC/ps3/360

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Detected hardware > theoretical hardware specifications. If the computer recognizes a display as a 60hz unit, it will limit the unit to 60hz, leaving any differences above 60fps null and void.

Again, I have one of these TV's in my living room. I'm telling you, from first hand experience, that they're not designed to benefit from a gaming machine.

16. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    ok brah

17. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I vote HDTV for gaming. Bigger screen and easier on your graphics card. Even with the 5970, there will be games that struggle at 2560x1600 8XAA DX11 but it will be fine at 1080p for a long time.

18. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
  19. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    really was looking if those "120hz" could do it on vsync but obviously they cant

20. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    Lavans is correct, and the same thing applies to the sony 200hz lcd tvs.

it will only accept a 60hz input signal, so regardless of what method of bumping up the refresh rate, its not going to be the same as a proper 120hz screen.

however, assuming you can activate the motionflow stuff on the pc input signal, it might 'look' smoother.

from my experience though, 200hz motion flow tvs seem to introduce a bit of input lag in some situations.