I dare you to fix this :) ! SLI problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YetYhunter, Feb 14, 2010.

1. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I will try to explain this the best I can ,so here it goes:
    As you can see I have two 8800 GTS's 512 in Sli on an Asus P5N-D board.The problem is that every time I turn on my PC Both Graphics cards fans turn at full speed 100% which is normal BUT after BIOS post both fans should run at default speed .After bios post only 1 fan slows down and the other one continues to run at 100 % Until desktop appears.

[​IMG]

http://i45.tinypic.com/2wq60xc.png
    As you can see the video cards have different bios's

I tried swapping the cards and it's always the card in the secondary slot(the black one) that doesn't slow down.

Tried both cards separately in the primary slot and they work fine.Tried all video card drivers since I bought them ,tried every Mobo BIOS since the first one and still the same.
    I'm out of ideas.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Maybe flashing one of the cards bios's to the other would fix it

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    maybe update your motherboard bios. seems like the bios does not know what to do with that second cards and when windows boots it takes charge of it and controls the fans.

4. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    is it really that annoying? you boot what, once maybe twice a day.

5. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I tried many different BIOS and none fixed the problem.

It's a little annoying because the fan makes a hell of a noise almost like a vacuum cleaner for about 40 sec until it boots.Maybe there are other problems that I am not aware about.For instance Games stutter,but that's not what this thread is for.

How to flash video card ?Isn't that dangerous.How to do it when in SLI?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
  7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Doesn't seem like an issue to me, it's only for like what 1 minute?

8. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    This shouldn't be happening ask anyone with an Sli setup.

9. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    You have a similar setup to me :)

Personally mate aint you going for an upgrade soon?

If its that annoying go for a aftermarket cooler the cards make a lot of noise regardless for me and thats in a P193 which has good cooling.

10. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Don't have the money for an upgrade at the moment.Still able to run everything at 1920x1080 with great FPS.
    The cards don't make any noise when gaming fan never goes over 60% and temps bellow 70°C.Only noise at boot up made by the card in the second slot regardless of which one is placed there

11. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    Same thing happens on my rig.. I never really thought of it as a problem since, as some people have already said, it's only like that for about a minute or less when booting.
    There are no other problems with the way the GPUs work in relation to this so I'm not worried about it myself.

12. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    The sli is software/driver controlled so it just seems to me that the secondary slot or secondary card is waiting for driver instruction and it gets that once the OS has loaded the drivers.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i'v noticed this on many sli boards and cards it never really bothered me much.
    i'v thuoght about this many times and if it bothered you that much you get a fan controller unplug the 4pin from the card and do what you want with the fan speed even at boot up.(ofcoarse you would have to splice and or modify the connector with the fan controller.
    if your really wanted i bet you could hook up the vga fan to the chipset/cpu fan input and controll it all in mb bios if your mb allowed.
    you can also just walk out of the room in the boot to windows.

14. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Like someone else mentioned during boot the cards run off their bios settings before the OS is booted and drivers give further instructions.

You say one card ramps to 100% when in SLI during boot right? Is it the same card or the same slot? If it is only dependant on (A) slot I would think heat. If it is dependant on (B) card I would think BIOS.

A, The card actually heats up during post due to beeing at defualt 25%BIOS setting during post, and beeing in SLI the top card having its fan intake pritty resticted triggers the cards BIOS to ramp up the fan speed. The BIOS could be set to ramp up fan speed on 1) actual reached degrees 2) percentage of rapid heat build up. Guess that is down to what settings they have in the cards bios since this can all be changed in the OS with diffrent software where you can set your own parameters.

B, The cards have diffrent BIOSes ( wich you actually stated ) and one of the cards BIOS are set to 100% during boot by default. This however doesn't go inline with the statement that when in single mode neither of the cards ramp up to 100% fan speeds.

Have you tried what happends if you disable SLI in drivers and then reboot, does it still ramp up then? I would expect it to ramp up since SLI shouldn't be detected by the board during boot, only that it has 2x nvidia gpus. But would be interesting to dubble check that.

Either way I think your only options are to 1) walk out of the room 2) put in a PWM fan controller between the VGA cooler and 4 pin connector, some modifiation, re-wiring may be necessary 3) Go into both cards BIOSes with a BIOS FLASH program and have a look and depending on what you see modify the settings or flash to a new bios on one or both cards.

A failed gpu bios flash can kill the card, and it isn't always as easy as to just reflash it.

15. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC

you answered your own question .

different bios' and/or pcb means some things are sync'd and compatible by driver alone . that's why it doesn't normalize until your driver services are loaded for desktop .

if the only problem you have is the fan noise , and otherwise you are happy , just change the sinks . finding heatsinks that fit g92's should be really easy .

16. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB

that is exactly correct.

17. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    It's the same slot,the secondary black slot.I tried both cards in this slot and it was always the card in the secondary slot that didn't slow down after bios post.The card in the primary slot slows down normally after bios post.

18. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    its fine, its not the cards, its obviously the secondary slot needs some form of driver to operate the card correctly.

19. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    That's not really a bad thing it did that to my 8800GT before I upgraded to a GTX 260 and now its dead silent when booting up for me.

20. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    "never touch a running system"

if its a fan spooling up till os is kicking in. careface it. flashing bios/uninstalling and installing drivers etc has more chances of something going wrong then simply sticking to what works :)