Eyefinity unfair?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by maleficarus™, Feb 12, 2010.

?

Is having an Eyefinity FOV unfair for online gaming?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2010.
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    84.8%
  1. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Also I think it's worthwhile to note that in a combat situation while you still have your peripheral vision, you're more focused at what you're looking at; keeping your head and eyes on a swivel as it were. Though when entering a room you are literally so focused on what's in front of you tunnel vision occurs and certain breathing techniques are used to counteract it. This eyefinity thing gives you more peripheral vision that quite frankly may not be used as much in games where the action is very intense (CoD, UT, Quake, etc) because you're so focused on that one point. Plus I don't like the idea of my view being broken up by the frame of the monitors. To each their own though!

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Here's the way I see eyefinity...

I don't see evefinity as 3 monitors, I see it as a huge widescreen resolution. It's not an advantage, it's just a higher resolution that the video card/card's support.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Sorry I won't insult your case anymore. Honest question though, did you buy the case from Wal-mart? LOL kidding.....

You're right, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

4. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    New Egg, actually. I didn't care about getting a flashy case. Just wanted something better than my previous case. I'm more concerned about what's inside the case.

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Oh don't ask..
    Unreal Tournament 2004..
    On my old crappy dsl line (160+ ping), and old comp where I had an avarage of 30 fps.. I was allways at the top 2 rankings (per match)..
    New comp (90fps), new line (35 ping) I'm at the far bottom more or less :p

and maleficarus™:
    just get over it and stop with the flaming and insults..
    I bet it's not good for your reputation..
    You're wrong.. accept it allready..

6. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i dont agree with OP at all...
    but just to see his point of view..

OP..is 5.1 an unfair advantage?

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I dont think its unfair...i kinda think its unnecessary depending on the game. For an RTS and MMO, yes I would use a 3 monitor setup to plan ahead and what not. For racing, although turning the camera to the sides been implemented for a long time, I never need it as I never look back and just haul ass to the finish line. I even turn off my rear view mirrors if they block my view. For an FPS game unless you have 5 monitors in an arc all the way to your sides, then it becomes a virtual reality setup, which is still unnecessary and still not unfair because the option is available to you.
    Sometimes I wonder though, when I broke top 100 rank in UT3 on a 22" monitor, I wonder how I would do with 3? With my DPI being at 3200 and turning 180 degress with a 1cm hand movement, I think the side monitors would always be motion blurred to where it would become useless.

8. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I wouldn't want to use eyefinity.

9. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    [​IMG]

so going by the OP's logic, plastic surgery is also unfair as it gives women an edge over others (in terms of inflating their titties). So those with bigger tits have a greater advantage over the smaller ones?

as noticed, there are flaws in the above statement because it's opinion and preference-based. The same can be said about the OP's post, because even if you want to argue that Eyefinity gives you a definite advantage, it's only really an advantage if you yourself find it to give you that edge. But as others have pointed out, they found it more of a distraction than an advantage, so it falls back to preference.

:infinity:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I'm really surprised the mods haven't stepped in yet, but I thought I'd check back in to see if the OP responded to my post since like 3 people thought it summed up their points nicely.

I notice he hasn't and has only been busy flaming/trolling his own thread. If this doesn't get locked (which it's about to the point it needs to be imho) hopefully we can get it to die by everyone voting 1 if they think maleficarus™ is a troll. 0 if they don't think he is beign a troll.

Vote: 1

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    What do you want me to say to your post? You were explaining to me what you feel is fair and not fair. I read it and moved on good enough for you? Now who is trolling? Also, there is no reason to lock this thread. This isn't ***** Germany in case you haven't noticed we are allowed our opinions are we not?

In case you haven't been paying attention to the poll results 20% agree with me.

12. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Sounds like someone lost in counter strike to a person with 3 monitors and now he's mad..:bash:

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    LOL no.. I just didn't like it. Not real enough for me...

14. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Man, is this thread still going?? 1) go get a job 2) buy 2 more monitors 3) enjoy eyefinity.
    Problem solved!

Yes, it is an advantage to have eyefinitiy. But is it unfair? By definition not, only when there is nothing you can do about it, which you can. Right?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    You certainly didn't try to argue with any of it...all you did is say "85% of you are all deniers. I'm right and you are all wrong"...that isn't quite an argument.

Godwins law! Only took to page 6.

16. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    I just recently used Eyefinity to play L4D2.
    I still got face raped by a jockey off of a bridge.
    DAMN YOU EYEFINITY FOR NOT GIVING ME GODLIKE FOV!!!
    >:eek:

17. stooeh

stooeh Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295 1792MB
    I don't have eyefinity and I don't think it's unfair if someone has an epic fov in use against me. I imagine it increases their immersion and enjoyment of the game but it's definately not unfair.
    I used to play quake3 on a 4:3 monitor with a 140 FOV :p I'd like a multimonitor gaming setup but not so I can see more, so I can FEEL more!

18. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    its funny how OP only acknowledges one sense as being unfair..but hearing more then someone else isn't..or having a different feel because the mouse has a higher dpi rating..or even having a totally different mouse(ie i use trackball vs a standard mouse) but thats not unfair..

how come only the sense of sight is unfair?...especially when EVERYONE can have the same FOV if they choose to..

eyefinity has a sight advantage yes..
    5.1 has a hearing advantage
    higher dpi mouse has a feel/quickness advantage

are any of these things unfair..of course not..since every one CAN have them if they want

i have some teammates i compete with that play games like dods and get 20-30fps on ave which is ****ty as can be...only cause they cant afford newer hardware to get 60+..

is it unfair? no..they can't afford to have top of the line..they are at a disadvantage but thats how things are....didnt stop my team from kickin ass....

so stop the QQ and either man up and get good or get eyefinity if you feel you're at a FAIR disadvantage :)

19. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Is it an advantage? It could be.

Is it unfair? No, not really... There are tons of things people can do and buy to give them an "advantage." But fairness is an obscure concept so I don't see this as being unfair.

As long as something is within the "rules" of the game, I can't see how it could be considered "unfair."

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Of course its an advantage, but it's not cheating.

If you think its cheating, then PC gaming isn't for you, the whole thing is about having an advantage, if you a better CPU/GPU, you have an advantage, some people even game at 640x480.

A better mouse/keyboard, more speakers, even having a better internet connection too.

I have a few friends who moved to console gaming, since it's a level playing field there.
    They were sick of getting beat by lesser players with better hardware.