ATI Tray Tools - Everyone Should Use!!!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by luv2increase, Feb 12, 2010.

1. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    I know a lot of people new to ATI and even others have never heard of ATI Tray Tools. I never heard of it myself until only a few months ago. I am starting this thread because I literally believe that everyone with an ATI graphics card should completely ditch ATI CCC and use "only" ATI Tray Tools.

Is that a bold thing to say? No. Why? Because I have used both extensively, and I can attest undoubtedly that ATI Tray Tools is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the standard run-of-the-mill CCC. In fact, I think that Ray Adams, the programmer of ATI Tray Tools, should be hired by ATI (if he isn't already?) to work with the Catalyst driver team.

Why is it better? Well, ATI Tray Tools give you EXTREME control over your ATI GPU and really makes your computing/gaming experience that much better, period. :banana:

Here is some quoted text from our Guru3D where ATI Tray Tools is actually available from!

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

The functionality is phenomenal! Also, it has full support for the 5xxx series cards now :) The newest version was released on 2-6-2010. It is version 1.6.9.1472.

I seriously beg for all of you guys/gals to download it, install it, and enjoy your ATI cards like never before. I want to give much thanks to Ray Adams for doing a tremendous job in programming such a fine program. It truly is the icing on the cake for an unprecedented ATI computing/gaming experience!

Here are some screenshots that I've taken of some of the cool things that you can do with ATI Tray Tools:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO HERE TO DOWNLOAD:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

2. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    If they could make it more simple I would mind using it. :banana:

I'm not the extreme advanced user.

3. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900

You do not even have to mess around with the "Advanced Tweaks" settings. I don't. I just showed that as an illustration of what all it can do.

It doesn't take having an IQ of 160 to successfully use ATI Tray Tools. Don't let it intimidate you. It really is quite simply and only takes an IQ of 100 to use :banana:

4. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    it was killing my performance in ME2 so i deleted it

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Likewise for me and CoP. The game would also crash during the loading process with this installed. Thanks but no thanks.

6. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Tried but stability problems gone worse with it so back to CCC I guess. :/

7. |Ano|

|Ano| Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX560Ti Twin FrozR II
    ATT is not for me, too unstable and some game runs very bad when i have it installed.

(Not saying that the program is the problem, just that i cant get it to work right.)

8. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    strange, i dont have any problem with att......

9. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Is it fixing the no AA issue in some games?

10. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    nop, it is a driver profile/game engine problem. No way to fix it with 3rd party programs. Try rename the game exe technique

11. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    Every one of you who say it was unstable for you are using 5xxx series cards. Well, this newest release fixed a lot of those issues with the 5xxx series cards. I am running 2 x 5870s and have had 0 (zero) problems, and my performance/quality has actually increased.

I beg you to "re-try" with the latest version. Also, don't forget to "DISABLE CCC" using msconfig in command prompt. I find it best when ATT is "not" running along side CCC. It is one or the other. Disable CCC. Also, make sure to always run ATT in admin mode.

It does not help anyone here when people who used previous versions which didn't work quite well with the newer RV870 cards keep saying it is not any good.

12. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    yeah for me it would make SOME games crash. LOL I'd be goofing around trying to find out why the game wont start or keeps crashing.. then EXIT try tools and POOF game worked fine.

13. these instability issues i think are due to some of the "optimisations " that att uses - theres a ton of them. the only issue ive had was with the trillienair optimisation - so i turned it off and everythings sweet.

does anyone know about the flip queue size? how does this work and what settings best?

I really like this tool, its great having so much control over your cards.

14. jaredpace

jaredpace Active Member

GPU:
    4890 975/1150
    I prefer ATT over CCC, but I don't use it on new hardware, only the age old 2xxx & 4xxx

15. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900

4xxx is not old.

16. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125

hey thanks for the heads up, I've used it for years but stopped when I got my 5850 due to incompatabilities.
    this is great news, oh BTW you can leave CCC installed just disable it starting on system boot.

"these instability issues i think are due to some of the "optimisations " that att uses - theres a ton of them. the only issue ive had was with the trillienair optimisation - so i turned it off and everythings sweet.

does anyone know about the flip queue size? how does this work and what settings best?

I really like this tool, its great having so much control over your cards."

Flip Queue is buffering in Direct X, I believe 3 is standard but Ive heard it really depends on the game as to what setting is best.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It's pretty obvious that those who complained about instability/low frame rates were using old/other builds or they didn't uninstall ATT when they uninstalled their Cat Driver. I use to get that with my 4870 back in the day. What happened with me was that I neglected to uninstall ATT once I uninstalled that previous month's Cat driver. Even though the uninstall screen for ATT did pop up once I started the uninstall of the Cat driver, I didn't want to uninstall 2 programs at one time. The end result was that some games either didn't work or ran slower then expected. The funny thing is that it didn't happen right away.

What I had to do was uninstall ATT and then go into the registry and do a search for either ATI Tray Tools or Ray Adam and delete those keys. Reboot then reinstall ATT. It would work like a charm! So there is no doubt that I am aware of this issue! But in the end it's not a problem with ATT per say.

--------------------------
    Regarding Flip Queue Size

To my understanding here is what I've understood about about Flip Queue Size:
    Flip Queue Size is actually also referred to as Frame Rendered Ahead. If you want to increase the Flip Queue Size you are attempting to alleviate a CPU bottlenecked (when the GPU doesn't get enough info from the CPU). That way you may notice a frame rate increase. The downside maybe input lag. If you decrease the Flip Queue Size you are attempting to sacrifice frame rates for lower input lag. There is no guarantee that either will work if your PC is running as it should to begin with.

Flip Queue Size: Aka, frames rendered ahead, your PC is actually pre-rendering or pre-caching a few scenes from the CPU & Driver. Which is place into a internal buffer and is processed by the GPU when it's finishes rendering the previous frame. This way the GPU doesn't stall the CPU. Both ATI and Nvidia have their defaults and honestly wouldn't change them unless you know for certain that it causing the problem.

18. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Lots of potential. But buggy and unstable, risky. Been there done that got the t-shirt..

sorry edit that..
    have not tried it with my new 5850 yet..

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Same here but I was able to correct the user error that cause the program to become buggy and unstable. Read my previous post. Take note that was just one example there are others that were corrected.

20. Gameslove

Gameslove Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 4GB OC/GTS450physX
    Yes, I use it, it help to downclock my Radeon HD 4850 in 2D, less temp and Wat usage.