Geforce/ion driver release 196.34 beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by UnrealGaming, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

87 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

66 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

27 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    This beta keeps my Crysis randomly freeze. Never got this crap before :(

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    A poll!!.....pure genius. seriously brilliant. thanks, that helps me cause i was dreading about reading through so many pages just to get the general idea of of how good these drivers are on average. Never considered how useful a poll would be for stuff like this.

I'm still on 190.38 but think i'll give these a go. Are the pure W7 drivers any different than the W7/Vista drivers? I'm just a bit confused between the 2 sets listed in the downloads page cause the W7/Vista section has much newer drivers listed

3. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Alt-Tab bug is present in NFS: Shift in Windows 7 32-bit.

4. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    i have problems in Crysis,NFS Shift,Far Cry 2 with this driver,back to 195.62 and all its fine.

5. twEEkerAreUs

twEEkerAreUs New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    Slightly better than the 21's but I still get the down clock bug on occasion. Reverted back, I hope Nvidia releases some solid drivers again soon.

6. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Or just use nhancer. It's loads of fun testing different tweaks on games, finding which ones work and which ones don't.

I used it on Mass Effect 2 to enabled AO as well as SSAA. Will try that on MW2 when/if I get it.

7. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    For the love of God folks! Use System Restore!

8. patch9164

patch9164 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 470 GC @750Mhz
    Haven't had any drivers give me the image quality that 182.50 version does. Using xp pro sp3.

9. DooGie

DooGie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    I'm convinced that a lot of the problems peeps have is not because of nVidia drivers but the way some games use a crap install routine.
    I've been using 196.34 drivers since they were released with no probs at all.
    Tonight I tried out the demo of Dark Void and had all sorts of hanging and stuttering issues. Looking around my HD I started finding all sorts of PhysX files that hadn't existed before installing this game.
    My solution was to uninstall PhysX, uninstall the 196.34 drivers. Reboot into safe mode and run DriverCleaner.NET. Booted up again and ran CCleaner registry cleaner which found a whole heap of other PhysX junk.
    Reinstalled 196.34 drivers and PhysX and Dark Void ran fine.

So I reason that some of the time the culprits for problems are the Game Manufacturers and not nVidia.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  10. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    So far so good, video playback is perfect. Haven't tested any games yet, but very soon. Using win 7/32bit. Feedback later on a few games.

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

Thanks.. it was a good idea, Cyber got it setup after I mentioned the need for a way to track the driver..so a poll was a starting option, would like to see something more in the future maybe.

Over all the driver works ok for me with Win7 64bit on both a 9800GTX and a 8600GT

12. Mr Stagger Lee

Mr Stagger Lee New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 512MB OC
    Looks very smooth here on BioShock2, COD MW2, Grid, Borderlands.
    Keepers for now, previous 195.62

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    System Restore is not a good idea, you know windows can back up viruses etc?

It is best to make images of your disk on another HDD to use as a backup. System Restore...highly not recommended.

I personally use Casper 6 and an external HDD for my backups.

14. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Been playing C&C4 beta, BFBC2 beta, ME2, for a few days now. No problems. Driver works great ( for these games ). On Win7 64.

15. DooGie

DooGie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    I agree totally :)

16. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    i have tearing on upper side of screen when watchin full screen mode with flash player 10.x
    (1680x1050@dsub win7x64)

really cant say if this happend before 196 or if its setting gone bad somewhere

edit: dosnt happen on 191.87

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  17. boOzy

boOzy Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R290
    I have strange tearing at about 1/6th of upper screen at desktop, stays at same place. It doesn't show in 3d i think. With 195.62 / Win7 64bit

18. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    Getting "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" :( in event log under Win7 32 with those.

UPDATE: :banana: Found a problem!!! I few MHz lower overclock got rid of problem. I've just played FarCry 2 for 4 hours - very stable.

19. ElderTech

ElderTech Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    This was a huge problem for me ever since the 191.xx drrivers.
    the N200 chipset/gtx260 had major problems with alot of these drivers.
    i purchased a GTX275 and it had a different chip than the 260 and lo and behold the problem went away.
    that was just my experience and may not apply.
    i still to this day though cannot go beyond the 190.38 drivers without some issue or another.
    and its not just the newer cards i have a friend purchased a 8400 series card for a small boost from onboard and he had blank screens on the 191.07 when he installed the 190.38 driver its run fine ever since.
    I can't make sense of it all anymore..there are so many variables as to who has problems and who does not and no pattern to it.
    Nvidia needs to be testing these drivers better in my opinion, if it were a small few i would understand but its become rediculous for thousands time after time.
    I know the grass does not get greener always but I am just so tainted by Nvidia this last year that I am going the ATI road next and see what happens.

20. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    ATI has lackluster driver support in new cards, so beware of you buy anything that's not already 6 months or more mature.

On the flipside, anytime you buy a new card you're essentially playing a lottery just like CPU overclockers do. Both the onboard RAM & Gpu chip (as well as the VRM's) vary in terms of how much heat they can take before flaws (that haven't yet failed but will in 3-10 years) start to act up. I was unfortunately given a stock GTX285 for an RMA on a previous one and find I can't run this thing without using 70% fan speed plus or I get crashes, the previous one was perfectly stable under the same games at the same temps etc...

And nvidia's gpu-related thermal issues are shared by ATI because *both of them* use TSMC for manufacturing...

Point is that it's just as likely that your previous card had lower tolerances than your new card (and less resources to throw at the same exact titles.)