Gaming Mice/Keyboards

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by anticitizen013, Feb 6, 2010.

1. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Hey guys! So now that I've been playing more FPS games (more akin to the amount that I used to play when I was younger), I've noticed something with this new(ish) mouse that I have. I purchased the Microsoft Sidewinder X8 a while ago but since then I haven't really played any games that required a lot of movement like, for example, Call of Duty. After semi-extended periods of gaming, my hand really hurts! The mouse itself is a bit large for my small but dexterous hands and I think that might be what is causing the issue. I feel like I'm giving it a death grip when I'm playing and since my hand doesn't fit all the way around it perfectly, it's uncomfortable as well. It's actually fine for browsing and I am quite fond of the thumb button layout but thats not a big deal.

What I'm getting at here is I don't like my mouse causing me pain when I'm trying to destroy everyone while playing an online shooter. I've owned Razer mice before and I love them to bits because they are small and comfortable.

Now the biggest issue with me selecting a new mouse is that it must be wireless. I don't sit at a desk while playing games. I have my rig hooked up to my 42" HDTV and I sit in my chair with a table beside (I'd take a picture but my room is messy, hehe). I can't have wires flailing about because well, to be honest I tried that and either myself, my girlfriend, pets or whoever else is in the room tends to trip on them and rip them straight from their ports. It appears that the only mouse that Razer has that is wireless is the Mamba and it has a pretty hefty price tag but my birthday is on Valentines Day so I don't feel that bad about getting it, haha.

My keyboard is fine, though occasionally some keys don't get the signal which is quite awkward when trying to strafe around a pole or something and end up running into it :p. I don't know of any gaming oriented wireless keyboards so if you do, speak up!

The reason I am posting this in the Games section (while I realize this is mostly a hardware type thread) is because I'm curious to know what others use as their tools of destruction. Therefore, the following questions must be asked:

What is important to you in a mouse? DPI, Drivers/software, on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment, laser/optical/ball (do ball mice still even exist? haha), amount of buttons and their location, ergonomics, weight, etc etc etc. Anything you can think of that you look for in a gaming mouse, put here.

What is important to you in a keyboard? It could be that it lights up (I find this useful since I usually play games in the dark, hehe), macro keys, media functions, browser functions, comfort, key layout, etc.

To answer my own question with regards to mice; everything is important but how it feels in your hand is perhaps the most important. If you're uncomfortable moving it quickly to get that shot off at the clown who has been following you with a rocket launcher across the map, you're going to miss and that's no fun. Adjustable sensitivity is also important because I found in games like Bad Company 2, having a lower sensitivity as a sniper is much easier for me than having the same high sensitivity for normal assault type weapons.

As for keyboards, when I first got this keyboard I noticed it was ever so slightly shaped to be ergonomic (those weird ones that are split down the middle) and thus some of the keys, namely the N key, are much larger than some of the others. This was very hard for me to get used to but I managed. Having said that, I feel that a normal key layout is very important. Macro keys are a plus but I could live without them. I love backlit keyboards but I don't think there are any with a reasonable price that are wireless. Also as long as there's an email, calculator and volume keys, I'm happy.

So sorry for the long post, but as I said, I'm curious to see what is important in these devices for you guys, and also which devices you currently own and/or if you plan to upgrade them in the future.

Thanks!

2. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Get you a basic keyboard layout full size and a 3 button mouse with wheel and whola ! Personally I like the saitek eclipse 2 with a logitech mx 518 mouse.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Mouse - Logitech MX518

Best damn mouse ever made.... ever. Honestly, I'm going to use mine until it falls apart, and then replace it with another one. :D

Keyboard - Saitek Eclipse II

Me likes it a lot. :) It's a great keyboard, very responsive and comfortable to use. Just enough features without feeling bloated or clunky.

4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    We pretty much have the same setup(minus the mess), I have a Sidewinder x8 & game on a 40" HDTV. Works fine for me & I mostly play FPS. I just up the dpi on the mouse, practice with the new setting until I feel comfortable. But I do have large hands & you know what they say about large hand don't you? :)

5. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Better gross motor skills? :p

6. DeadlyDevil666

DeadlyDevil666 Member Guru

GPU:
    9800 GTX / Palit / 512mb
    Mouse - Razer Leachesis
    Super responsive and I love how it fits my hand, its perfect.

Keyboard - Eclipse 2 but I use the N52TE gamepad when I play games.

Best setup ever.

7. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Mouse:
    logitech mx518
    logitech G9

keyboard:
    logitech G15
    logitech illuminated (even though its not gaming keyboard, it's absolutely amazing.)
    Eclipse 2

8. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    logitech G500 is awesome, so nice to be able to switch sensitivity just by pushing a button next to my clicking button. Its very nice when i need to switch from sniping (slow mouse movment) to assaulting (fast mouse movements) and vice-versa. Or if you get in a vehicle and the turrent moves to slow, speed up your mouse to compensate. :) And since its got a led display you wont forget which setting your on.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Mouse - Logitech G9
    Keyboard - Logitech G15 Mk2

To me the best combo ever... love the fact that they're both black/grey... with orange leds (black/grey/orange being my ice hockey team's colors). I love the G9 for it's changeable grips... and it's overall design, it's just perfect... the G15 Mk2 might not be the best keyboard ever, but as far as gaming boards go, it's up there for sure... It's a great addition to the G9 mouse! I love this combo and will not change until I completely break the thing...

10. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi
    mouse: Razer Lachesis
    keyboard: Razer Lycosa

The keyboard is very good to type and game on and it looks very
    sweet, tho the lighting is pretty much just a gimmick. Imo there is no such
    ting as a gaming keyboard, anything will work just fine, aslong as they don't
    make to much noise (im looking at you Das Keyboard!) and have a gazilion
    macro and media keys spread out so it takes up 98% of your deskspace.

And the mouse, well, iv always liked razer mouses after i parted with my
    logithech mx300 (witch at the time i think was a pretty good mouse).
    Pluss the sensetivity on the fly adjustment buttons are well placed and
    great to have in photoshop aswell as in games :) I actually have a
    Razer mouse at work aswell, because its just that damn good to use
    and they seem to last forever.

best combo i have had so far... tho im a Razer fanboy, but there is a reason
    for that :)

edit: before anyone corrects me, i know Das Keyboard is available in a
    Silent version... well a less noisy version atelast :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

11. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    The Logitech G9 is a great mouse for a small hand.

12. mcharj112

mcharj112 Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5870
    Roccat Kone + Logitech G15 Mk.2

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Razer Lachesis and Sailtek Eclipse 2. I own both of these. Both are very solid and work great.

14. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Logitech G15 (blue backlight) + Roccat Kone (v2)

15. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Razer Lycosa + CM Sentinel Advance .. no complains here ..

16. DeadlyDevil666

DeadlyDevil666 Member Guru

GPU:
    9800 GTX / Palit / 512mb
    You sir have a great taste in products. :)

(Same setup, heh) :nerd:

17. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Wrong forum .

18. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Razer Lachesis and a cheap keyboard here that I've had for a few years now, some of the keys are starting to get dents in them and the material is coming away lol :S so looks like I need a new keyboard lol :(

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've been using a Logitech G5 forever now. Its paint smudged off like a cheapass item from the dollar store made in China, but luckily it has held together well, performs well and perhaps most importantly is comfortable.

If you want comfort, buy a mouse with a shape like the G5.

I've been often considering buying a mouse from Razer to have an ambidextrous mouse so I can switch hands when I feel like it but of course a mouse designed to be symmetrical isn't going to be as comfortable as one designed for a specific side.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You would be surprised. Razer mice, even the ones your talking about, are quite comfortable in my hand.