Crysis 2 in PC GAMER

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Not that i'm trying to get a little nit-picky.... but isn't FarCry 2's "free roaming" quite similar to that of Crysis's when you look at it? The only difference is that the objective locations in FarCry 2 have a road or a few leading up to them, or a river and a road, to an open-ish area where you can choose how to approach the target. Yes, there's more "roaming" you can do.... but severely limited at that, seeing as it's a lot of roads and waterways with non-climbable mountains in between everything. Kinda the same thing. they give you a wide variety of ways to approach the situation, but still keep you somewhat limited at that. When you think about it, FarCry 2 is, in essence, a FPS in an RPG's shell. go around, do quests, buy better weapons and weapon upgrades to complete harder quests (or with some weapons, to make quests a LOT easier).

Last i checked, unless you were actually permitted to be in a certain area, you can't go there. I'm not talking about an area in a specific map... but the other maps in the game. If you're only in the first segment of the game, you can't venture outside the bounds of the original starting map. If you try, you pass out, and wind up back at the save point. Again.... severely limited free-roaming.

And yes.... i know Malaria is a real disease. Was kinda hoping you'd pick up on the (what i thought was) obvious sarcasm. Crysis was designed to LOOK realistic.... not have a realistic story. But you have to admit.... it's rather odd for the main character in FarCry 2 to venture over to Africa, and basically contract malaria the second he sets foot in the place.

2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Just because its taking place in a city doesn't mean it is a railshooter. Look at GTA4 and tell me it's not an open world. ;)
    It's as open as Crysis was, just with another terrain.

Still, Aliens in NY is a no-go for me.

Btw: VIETNAM sounds great. They should make a historical SEAL TEAM campaign. How they invented the SEALS, what missions they started with, underwater warfare, sneaking into vietcong camps, etc etc ... but RAMBO II REVISITED would also be great.

Point is: great gfx can never compete with a great idea.

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    yee, i agree with almost all your points. ;)

anyway, the main point is that Crysis or FC2 in the end the greatest strenght of gaming is that they unite us (the gamers) even when there's no agreement about certain things and that's something i really like, i for one am glad people have different opinions about every game, it makes things that much more interesting and there's always something new to learn. :p

4. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    Look at this video showing the Nvidia Physx system which'll be used in CRYSIS 2 and talk again.It'll be again mindblowing.You'll be able to enter any building in the city(all doors'd be opened) and U'll be able to destroy every building in a huge city.And best of all U won't need an ultra high hardware for that.It's really impressive and when U're watching think that it'll look better in Crysis 2 than in this tech demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbnCeV7jJw&feature=player_embedded

5. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Any formal links you can provide that says the CryEngine 3 will support PhysX?

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That´s strange, i was under the impression that Crytek didn´t want to use any proprietary software because they think it´s not good enough and because they don´t want to alienate owners of specific hardware...

That link sure looks cool, with the exception of the walls that look like they are made of cardbox, but i´m having a hard time believing that Crysis2 will have that kind of feature in the final game. The amount of time needed to create an entire city and render it using current hardware, seems to me, impossible! And if we consider that the game is also going to be released for consoles... But if they can pull a stunt like that, then Crysis2 will probably be one of the best shooters/games ever done so far!!!

7. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I really hope Rockstar Games licences Crysis 2's Procedural City System for GTA 5.

8. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    You can see it in action at 1:05 in the Cryengine 3 trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=076_kFsF4Wc

9. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked
    Nothing has yet compared to the graphic detail of Crysis, I suspect that many who weren't impressed simply didn't have a PC capable of showing the incredible detail.
    Take for e..g the sea, if you swim out you will see shoals of tropical fish & even plankton floating in the water,on the seabed floor there are corals & rocks, swim out too far & either the ship which lies offshore starts firing or even better you get attacked by sharks.

On the beach you can see your footmarks in the sand, the ripples at the waters edge have rainbow coloured refraction. The rocks have fossils in them, all details which go totally unnoticed by many not only in the game but also in the real world.

In the jungle every plant & fern will move & bend as you walk thru it, you can flatten an entire banana plantation with a tank, shoot down Palm trees & pick up a huge frond off it & carry it off.
    To compare this to the likes of COD games as many gamers have is just ludicrous.
    Farcry2 couldn't compare with this any more than any other game can to date.
    FC2 AI weren't static like Crysis which let the game down for me, when replaying the earlier levels you knew exactly where the AI would be & that they would be mostly standing motionless until alarmed.

FC2 implemented some kind of free roam for AI, they would wander around smoking or talking whilst you crept up, reload a quicksave & they would be in a different position to where they were when first you spotted them.

Both games had similar free roam for the player but at the same time ultimately limited where you could go by the placing of high cliffs & embankments but they were never totally linear like COD

10. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    It's only the demo that Crytek graphicers made it in their free time(believe me it's true) but it'S not directly made with cryengine 2.Because of that I've written in Crytek 2 it'll see much much better than this demo.And U won't need an extraordinary Computer for this:nerd:There're many software with them U can build an entire city in 10 minutes like Procedural Cityengine which'll be used in Crysis 2:banana:Just look at their site.And for its capabilities it'S really cheap:)

http://www.procedural.com/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

11. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
  12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I noticed thsoe details right away, but was un-impressed since the corals, fish...etc in the water was quite sparse. There was no variety of sea life, rather just groups of it seperated by quite a distance and had limited range of motion. The sea was basically very plain, the corals had no variety of color and normally there is tons of life around corals, its mostly sand and rock with a coral texture.

The vegetation bending..etc was nice, FC2 did this too, but both only had a few types of vegetation that did this and in first person, you can't really see them move much, but still a great feature

The animal life in both games was pathetic. Tropical jungles and Africa should be teaming with birds...etc. especially insects. Would be nice if a few types were created then densly populated the maps

13. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Except that's not even CryEngine 3.

And I doubt CE3 will support Physx...I hope not atleast. Physx is a load of bullcrap!

14. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    When U have Nvidia than Physx isn't a crap!

15. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    It's only used in like 2 products I can think of at the moment that actually use it instead of just have it on there.

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Actually he's right.Physics is for CPU not GPU <---- John Carmack said.

17. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm re-playing Mirrors edge on this 9800GT with Physx and it looks just the same as it did on my 4870 :lurk:

Sometimes notice with like clothe/plastic tearing etc but it's hardly a selling point to me...

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    In my opinion Direct X 11 is a bigger selling point and it's used about as much tbh. I'm not counting games the way it was meant to be played or whatever, just physx PC games.

19. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    Physx is a good thing when U'd use it better than making 2-3 effects.There're not many games like Directx 10 which use these techs fully.Red Faction was a good example how U can use Physx even with Havok.Physx is better than Havok,so I'm waiting better games with Physx in next years.Like it or not Nvidia is the leader in gaming and they support the biggest companies.And Crysis will rock again and bring computer gaming into a new level,I'm sure about that:banana:
    Direct X 11 I'd say...It's too early.Even DirectX 10 is not fully used by many games.

20. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Red Faction does not use PhysX. It uses Havok.
    I doubt Crysis 2 will use PhysX.