random shutdown :(

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by barkeater, Jan 14, 2010.

1. barkeater

barkeater New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800 GT 512 OC
    Hi,

This is my first post. I would really appreciate some help with a problem I have recently been having. My computer shuts down randomly without warning. Mostly the problem occurs when the computer is first turned on, ether manually or by another program that needs to restart the computer. Not listed in my specs is the fact that I use two programs to monitor/control fans and clock settings (rivatuner - graphics card, and speedfan - CPU & case fans). This problem seems to have begun when I began updating a few parts of my computer. Namely, I changed the stock CPU cooler for the AC Freezer and the stock chipset cooler for the Zalman. I mounted the stock chipset cooler fan to the top of the Zalman for additional cooling. I suspect rivatuner and speedfan and have them turned off for now. I have reset my bios to default settings, and running stock on cpu and graphics card. My temperatures all look good, and my voltages look good as well. OK, if you need any more info I would be glad to respond.

Hopefully in the future I can offer someone else in the forum help in return.

Thank you in advance.

Mobo: ASUS A8N-E (Bios 1013)|
    PSU: Antec SP-500|
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual core|
    CPU Cooler: Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro|
    Mem: 2GB (2 x 1GB) TWINX2048-3200C2PT|
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5|
    Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II 80mm (supply air)|
    Thermaltake 120mm Blue-Eye Case Fan (exhaust)|
    Graphics Card: eVGA GeForce 7600 GT (driver 195.62)|
    Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra AMD (driver 15.23)|
    Chipset cooler: Zalman ZM-NB47J w/stock ASUS chipset fan|
    Dynex Firewire PCIe adapter card on PCIe4X slot|
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 250 GB|
    Ext HDD: WD MyBook Essentials 500 MB|
    Monitor: Samsung 940b (digital) 19" LCD|
    ODD1: Samsung SH-S162L|
    ODD2: Sony Optiarc AD-7241S
    Logitech G5 mouse|
    Logitech 3D Extreme Digital Flight Stick

2. barkeater

barkeater New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800 GT 512 OC
    troubleshooting

OK, I was hoping for a little more help than that but I have reenabled Speedfan, and so far I have not experienced any random shutdown events. I have re-enabled RT to start at windows startup but have shutdown the start RTSS on windows startup, and have gone into poweruser and unchecked everything. So far no randome shutdowns. However, one interesting thing I noticed when I unchecked all of the poweruser settings is that when I opened the hardware monitoring a whole bunch of new things were being displayed. Upon inspection it appears they are all of my items in Speedfan. Now I can monitor my voltages, and cpu fan which is cool.

Attached are a few pics of my pc

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. barkeater

barkeater New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800 GT 512 OC
    I have discontinued the use of RT and have not had a single random shutdown episode. Shame as I really liked the program. Using Precision which is working like a charm w/o all the bells and whistles.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's exactly why we created two simplified versions of RT (beginner oriented Precision and average skill user oriented Afterburner). If RT is too complex for your needs and understanding, you can always use simplified lite RT versions.