Do you SLI or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by flimbo, Jan 20, 2010.

?

Do you SLI or not?

1. Yes

115 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

89 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I use SLI, and in the future I may as well continue, as I had originally purchased a 2nd card to further my experience with my current setup, rather than buying a new single solution, as a 2nd GTX 260 was much cheaper than buying a new ATI 5xxx series card. Plus the experience of having an SLI system is something I've never done or have seen used in person, until now.

2x EVGA Geforce 260GTX's FTW!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Pretty much the same for me. SLI is awesome overall.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I used to SLI Voodoo back in da real gaming dayz...grrr, back when it made a real difference, not this sissy wannabe crap kids play with today :p

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Showoff! :p

[​IMG]

5. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    If I had an infinite amount of money I would not use SLI unless I was running over 1080p resolution or a new 120hz 24" acer LCD that comes out in like 2 days. Anyone running quad sli has mental problems.

6. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Used to run 7800GTX's in SLI as my primary rig for a while. That computer is now my backup and on one 7800GTX for testing software and games. I'm tempted to slap the other GTX back in but I don't think this 400W PSU would cut it. ;/

In general, I prefer not running more than one video card. But, as Cybermancer already pointed out, its often times much cheaper to pickup a 2nd card and SLI than to upgrade to a new single. At the time it was spend a few hundred for an 8800GTX, or spend $50 for a 2nd 7800GTX and come close to the performance. That was an easy decision to make. ;)

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Your constant insults towards other members, the off topic posts and the flaming did not go unnoticed, R0achTheWarHero.

You're getting an infraction for insulting another forum member.

This is already your second infraction. A few more and you're out.

8. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    I don't believe in political correctness, it was a true statement.

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Political correctness maybe opinionated but trolling on other hand is unacceptable, you've already been warned.

10. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    That's just an immature statement altogether. I doubt the very few who ARE running quad SLI would argue that its necessary to max out games. What they likely WOULD argue is that they enjoy spending money and upgrading their computers and likely would use a quad SLI setup for benchmarking or testing.

And there's nothing "true" about it. Judging one's decisions with expenditures is a complex in itself.

11. sw1000xg

sw1000xg Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Personally I would not go SLI again! 2 9800GT cards and i'm gaming in Crysis at about 20-30fps maybe 35. Farcry 2 seems to run very good with everything on and 1920x1080 on a 22" Asus LCD. But when Farcry 2 loads it drops to about 10fps then after about 30secs it goes upto about 50fps so I have no idea why it does that, maybe because of SLI trying to catch up? But always go for a high end card. To me the sweet spot is the 5850 (no I don't have ATI nore do I use them but if you get what I mean) or a SOC Gigabyte GTX 275 (out performs a 285) about £220 any more than that is stupid. But it will be hotter inside you're case, and it's more of a pest to get around in there if you need to with 2 cards getting in the way!

12. argon

argon New Member

GPU:
    3xGTX 285 black E+9800GT
    ROach the super hero! sorry war hero!
    Have you ever seen warhead or crysis with the ccc2.21,3.00 patch? Level 6 ,tod ,realistic shadows +assasin 47 everything on extremely high configuration and getting over 100 frames per second? I dont think you have or you wouldnt have made the rash statements that you have.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nope and never will. Performance of 2 cards is usually outdone by a single card every couple years or so. Aside from heat, compatibility and driver issues, gaming isnt that big of a deal in my life to do so. Neither is water cooling, expensive ram, SSDs or early adopting of the latest and greatest GPUs or CPUs.

14. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    I always find such posts hilarious. Just cause you can't run the game maxed out doesn't mean no one else can't. I ran it maxed out in DX10 and got 30-35 FPS in areas with heavy action and over 40 everywhere else. In-game these are playable FPS and work just fine.

Reminds me of how people who managed to tweak and push GTA4 on old cards to run maxed out while people on SLI machine were going around posting "you are lying, we can't run it, how can you?". :3eyes:

Also, I am talking about maxed out according to the card and monitor combo. No one would go above the limits of their card or what they can see in their monitor. For example, I set AA to 2-4x in all games (except RE5 where I had AA at 8x and AF at 16.. goddamn good engine, like DMC4) and AF to 4-6X. Which are appropriate for my monitor (19" CRT). I hardly notice jaggies with 2X AA in most games, esp. if they have motion blur overload. Other than these 2 settings, I haven't played a single game where I had to set any other option to lower than HIGH, including GTA4 and Crysis.

Also, instead of getting another card to "match the high end card" for performance, I would rather buy a next-gen high-end card with more optimisations and features instead of an already obsolete tech. SLI/Crossfire, both are pointless and will remain forever.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    8800GTX SLI going strong :vader:

waiting for Fermi...

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As i said in another topic SLI,Crossfire,Dual gpu's only for 2560x1600 or eyefinity with 3 monitors.Games are much smoother on a fast single gpu so up to 1920x1200 i highly recommend single gpu card.IF you're planning of getting a monitor of resolution up to 2560x1600 or Eyefinity with 3 monitors then i might tell you to get a dual gpu or SLI.

17. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    It sounds like you are lying about the fps. The 9800GTX+ is capable to run crysis with 25fps(1280x1024,0xAA,veryhigh,DX10) but your cpu is to slow and bottleneck the 9800GTX+ so the average fps in crysis for you is around 20fps.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    yes always

19. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    Lying about FPS? Seriously?

It's not like it's some kind of life and death situation here that I am lying about running Crysis at frakin 35 FPS. Also, unless you somehow managed to run the game on my machine, you REALLY can't tell me what I am saying is a truth or not. Either way, I can't be arsed to prove anything to you.

I just posted my view on the SLI bit. I think it's pointless and since I can run these games maxed out on single card, SLI will remain pointless for me.

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Lol man even I couldn't run Crysis correctly with a single GTx 260 in 1920x1080 here... Everything maxed No exceptions