Adware programs

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by maccarulez, Jan 18, 2010.

1. maccarulez

maccarulez Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1gig GTS250
    Hello.

Can anyone put me in the right direction for a gud spyware prog for Win7 x64 please?

Made a balls up by forgetting to install one, by getting my hotmail and SWG accounts hacked. :(

2. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Spybot Search and Destroy works good, although the way to not get anything is a good firewall.

3. maccarulez

maccarulez Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1gig GTS250
    Thanks for the recommendations. I just purchased Mcafee Internet Security 2010 a few days ago, and that seems fine at the moment.

I'll take a look at those spyware programs you said.

4. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Malwarebytes for most things

or if your're infected with something really nasty SDFix....

BTW a Firewall won't stop you getting spyware/malware, thb being careful what you click and where you go is the only way.

5. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Yeah that's it's job to block bad things from coming in. :3eyes:

6. maccarulez

maccarulez Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1gig GTS250
    Ya I have always been careful what I click on, but I guess with todays internet its easy now for ur pc to get infected.

I did however try Ad-aware trial basis, and that came up with 7 or 8 dodgy files which said they can send personal information.

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I'm using SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Avira AntiVir and Comodo Firewall.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Imho Firewalls are a waste of resources in a home PC

Each to their own though.

Btw @ Leafblower: A Firewall will NOT stop a PC from getting malware, in fact that's not even a Firewall's job.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    i just use kaspersky internet security 2010 but i use the spybot feature the one that adds the block lists to your browsers oh and a routers firewall too

but most virus scanners scan new objects any so they are detected and cleaned

10. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Malwarebytes has become popular, when cleaning a PC I use Spybot and Ad-Aware though. Not on my desktop though, just Comodo Firewall and Avast!. No malware or viruses in years.

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Hardware firewall and Trend Micro here.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't use any kind of AV protection anymore, but in the past I found NOD32 and Kapersky to be really good.

I think Trend-Micro might be one of the best around atm...

Spy Sweeper used to be really good, but I get the impression their glory days are over?

13. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    No.

A Firewall simply blocks all unrequested inbound traffic unless you specifically tell it not to.

For example I try and connect to a a webserver running on your PC your firewall will block my attempt on port 80 unless you tell it not to.

However if you are using the internet lots of traffic is comming in on port 80. This is allowed as your router initiated the traffic and it is expecting traffic from the remote IP you have connected to to be comming back.

So if you go to a dodgy website and ok some spyware which is likely to be comming in on 80 it will come right in.

A router or firewall won't stop spyware or viruses. Something with UTM (Unified Threat Management) may, but there are not many SOHO routers/Firewalls with that option.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Quite frankly, a Firewall or Antivirus is useless.

If you still do things you shouldn't, or go to dodge sites, use pirated software, use Cracks and other things, you're putting yourself at un-needed risk, and no Antivirus or Firewall will help you.

They are good things to have as accidental measures incase something happens, but they won't protect you.

Don't get confused that it will.

15. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    If you have a router yes, otherwise leave at least Vista/Seven firewall running.
    I don't use an AV but a FW and a HIPS (alternating between CIS and Outpost Pro :)).

To OP, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Dr.Web CureIt are good anti-malware/spyware tools.

16. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I've never used any, and can only recall maybe 1 or 2 incidents where I have had to reinstall Windows due to being silly and clicking a link to a bad website etc. :)

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I meant it's pointless running a firewall on a home PC. Period.

It's unlikely anyone is going to be running a port scan, or attempting a DDoS attack or trying to hack into a home users computer...:)

I hear you man. I've been without AV protection for about 3 yrs, and I can honestly say I have never had a virus.

Occasionally (maybe once or twice a year) I'll run F-Secure but that's it.

Like Finch said - the best AV is the one sitting at your computer :)

That only goes for advanced users though - I wouldn't give the same advice to a family of Mum, Dad & 2 kids running Limewire Free ....lol :D

18. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Yep, that's was my theory too a long time ago but a couple of years ago I've just installed a fresh copy of XP (licensed) and forgot to turn on firewall. Went on-line on dial-up to make my updates at MS and in a couple of minutes Sasser/Blaster was shutting down my PC. :D
    So since then I've promise myself that never-ever I'll go on-line again without a firewall and a HIPS.

But I agree, YMMV. :)

19. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850

Firewalls have outbound protection as well. It's incredibly useful to what is connected where and how much bandwidth they are using. And even safe sites occasionally get 0day exploits or malware hidden in ads, you might be surprised how many incoming viruses my Avast! detects when I'm browsing the web (where it automatically aborts the connection) - Having no protection is just irresponsible.

20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Yeah. In the end it's up to everyone to decide for him-/herself whether a firewall makes sense or not.

Please feel free to start a thread in the "General Software and Applications" section to continue this discussion - otherwise please get back on topic.

The OP is looking for Anti-Spyware/Anti-Adware software.

Thread moved to:

General Software and Applications
    http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15