GTS240 can't even run UT3?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by renohol, Jan 14, 2010.

1. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    I just got a Dell from Bestbuy and it has a GTS240 so i installed UT3 and set all the video to the lowest and i get blury lines? Could it be my monitor, I got a LG23" 2ms. Or could it be the HDMI chord? The first chord they sold me sent the monitor to sleep mode and just was stuck there.

2. Zap

Zap Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600 GT 256MB
    GT 240 should be able to run UT3 at lower to medium settings. There's got to be something else wrong with it. Maybe it is driver issues?

3. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    A couple of questions for you:

Does the desktop display properly?

Have you installed video card drivers?

Have you tried a different cord? like a DVI cable

Have you tried other games?

If your desktop displays, it probably rules out any cable problems. My bet is on the drivers. go to www.nvidia.com and get the latest vga drivers.

4. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    i got the latest driver for it, i'm thinking it may be the HDMI cable or is that crazy talk?

5. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    your cord theory makes sence so i dloaded this driver and i still get major lines, did i get teh wrong driver or is the card just weak? http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.62_whql.html

6. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    ok, i switched monitor cords and even monitors to my old CRT and tried Crysis Wars so its definitely the Brand New Dell XPS, if i did infact download the correct Windows 7 64 bit driver then please don't tell me the GTS240 is just a super weak card?

7. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    try swapping the cords. also, those drivers should work just fine. to make certain, how did you install them? the best bet is to uninstall the old ones using the uninstaller in the windows control panel, then boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper, then reboot normally and install the new drivers.

if this isn't the problem, then how do other games play? do you know what your temps are?

edit:

the 240 should play ut3 ok. probably most settings on medium, maybe some high. if you try reinstalling the drivers and them problem persits it could be a hardware issue. download evga precision or msi afterburner and see what your temps are like.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    ok i found the temps sites and those programs look too advanced for a noob like me, sorry about being such a noob, maybe i should stick to just getting the lastest drivers properly installed with help.

ok, first, if i uninstall the old drivers will the comp have trouble dispaying and if not how do i boot into safe mode. I really havn't tried any other 3d games on this system yet.

9. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    temps=temperatures. high temps can cause the card to behave oddly, or even reboot. can you better describe the lines? are they multi-colored, horizontal etc...

as for the temp apps, they are pretty simple. you can't screw anything up by running them, and they could help to diagnose the problem.

when you uninstall the drivers it will ask to reboot. hit yes. then immediately after the pc restarts press F8 a few times to enter safe mode. windows will load (both in safe mode or without video drivers) at default video settings, 640x480, 8 bit color etc...but you wills till be able to navigate.

the driver sweeper is here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

for now, forget about safe mode etc. run the regular uninstaller form the windows control panel. then reboot normally and manually delete anything nvidia (except the new driver setup of course). then run the setup and follow its instructions.

10. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    The lines i get are horizontal and they show up when i look up and down at the sky or terrain and I just Googled my card and see it only sells for $99 so I believe thats is the only problem that I was ignorant enough to buy an $1100 Dell gaming rig from BestBuy that has such a cheap 3Dcard, if this card is even 3D. I guess I will wait a bit on even trying a fresh driver install to see if u or anyone else agrees that it is just the card and i am screwed.

11. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    well, that card is about as fast as my old 8800gt, which played unreal very well actually. i thought the gts240 was a little slower, closer to a 9600 gt.

can you post a screenshot?

12. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    sure i can, and sorry i lost my temper and cried like a baby so how do i take a screenshot? Hold down shift and hit the print screen key? Then where do i find the screenshot to attach? And maybe tommorow I will get brave enuf to try the right way to install the driver but tonight i'm just wore out from fighting this dang machine all day.

13. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    You serious? A 8600 GT can play this game on maxed out settings :p

14. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    a guy from a UT3 mod forum told me to enable vsync because he said what i was describing sounded like "tearing", seems to help, especially on Crysis Wars, ty for all your help and suggestions.

15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Nice glad it was fixed.
    Make sure the refresh rate and screan rez are set to right in the NV CP, I know if I run a lower rez with Vsync off the tearing is very heavy.

16. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    ty mad ogre, i probably shouldn't ask but how do i set the screen rez and resfresh rate to right in the NV CP, and what is the NV? I'm sure the CP is the computer right?

17. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    he means the NVidia Control Panel. in there will find all of the display, color and graphics/3d options. if you want to use vsync in games, enable it in the CP along with triple buffering.

18. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    oh ty, the thing is though when i try to find and open the Nvidia control panel, I have no luck, i am new also to Windows 7 so if any of u have the time can u tell me how to get the Nvidia control panel open?

19. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    ok found it, i just right clicked on my desk top, now how do i make universal changes?

20. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    i havent been on nv in a while, but there should be a tab for manage 3d options, or graphic options, something like that. just enable vsync in all applications and enable triple buffering.