XFX 5970 BE Crash, freezes and fan problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jvmagni, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    I've bought my XFX 5970 BE and install it yesterday on may rig (i7@3.8 P6t). My old card was a XFX GTX 295 and everything were ok with it.

After reinstall Windows 7 I realized that I've no fan control in MSI AFTERBURNER but in Overdrive I could set manually the fan speed. The strange part is if I set 50 per cent of fan speed it will lock at 100 and slowly down to 50 after a while.

In games the system just locks up and freezes with sound looping. I already tried the new XFX BIOS that should correct the fan control but no success. I tried a Sapphire BIOS and nothing.

Many users are experiencing the same problemas but they can fix their fan control at least. I already tried other drivers like 9.12, 9.12 HOTFIX and BETA 5 NOV 11...

2. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Afterburner was buggy here too, but Asus unlocked bios fixed it.

I advice you to avoid Afterburner 'till you have it up and running, and I think you don't need to worry about fan control unless you're overclocking it.

You should try running your entire system @ stock settings to find the instability's culprit.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Hi Japamd, I'm cnb.ice from adrenaline forums! If you want you can add me on the MSN (joao.jt@hotmail.com).

It's driving me crazy theses bugs... my first ATI card and I start with the wrong foot.

My card is not overclocked, but it is a Black Edition so I can try to roll back to the default 5970 clocks. I will give a shot on the drivers from the CD...

I think one of the problems can be the second pci-e slot from my motherboard. The card is huge and it does not fit well on the first slot. I will try the third and see what happens. I already tried a Sapphire BIOS and no go again. I will change the card to slot 3 and run all the things on it's default.

Ronaldo!

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I advice you to think before posting next time. The only bugged thing is knowledge of some users misunderstanding that there are two GPUs and only one fan controller on one of those GPUs. That's common for any dual-GPU card, just select different GPU in properties if fan control is not available on your currently selected GPU.

5. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Tx man! I forgot that, in my GTX295 the EVGA precision choices the right GPU fan. I will check this.

Japamd is an advanced user, he has some balls and I really apreciate what his says.

6. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Sorry Unwinder, I was not meant to be harsh to you or your great utilities, I'm a big fan of your work and I'm using Afterburner daily, I just wanted to show jvmagni that he must setup and have the whole thing working before trying to tweak it. :)

Thanks and good luck, keep us informed if you figure out what's wrong, I'm really interested in seeing some perf numbers of HD 5970 in your system, as mine is very similar and I'm looking forward to buy one in replace of my HD 5770 crossfire.

7. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    I will try what I said before when I reach at home. I've opened thread in adrenaline forums, a review GTX 295 vs 5970BE. The 295 part is done and I will post the 5970 benhc soon as I fix my problems. Oh, and I need to be unbanned hehe

As I said before:

"I think one of the problems can be the second pci-e slot from my motherboard. The card is huge and it does not fit well on the first slot. I will try the third and see what happens. I already tried a Sapphire BIOS and no go again. I will change the card to slot 3 and run all the things on it's default."

8. Blademaster

Blademaster Member

GPU:
    XFX HD5850@850/1200/1,15v
    By what do I walk researching, some VGAs of the new series of the ATI (HD5XXX) sold with overclock are not bearing the over. Become them stable, are diminishing the clock of the same.

9. C_YAA

C_YAA New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Same problem here...
    Waiting for new drivers asap, or will return the videocard

10. Dried

Dried Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580
    Have you tried driver sweeper?
    Ive had a few problems with manual fan control with my 5870 when i replaced the old gtx280. Removing everything from nvidia solved.

But if other users are experiencing the same problem then maybe you should either return or wait for a new driver / bios.

Could you give me an info? Is XFX the only brand with this issue?

11. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    I think I've fixed the issue. I just downclock my System Clocks to it's default. I've also changed the card to another PCI-E slot, reinstalled Windows 7 and installed 9.12 HOTFIX without any modification on CCC. I've run 18 loops of Crysis Warhead Bench, 6 loop of FC 2 bench, 3DMARK VANTAGE, Dirt 2 and MW 2 without any problems.

After that I pushed my CPU clock do 3.0 Ghz and no problems again... I will continue to push the clock untill 4 Ghz again.