9800 GTX+ Beats the GTX 260?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sebasman2, Jan 9, 2010.

1. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    My opinion is that buying anything right now is quite a wrong choice. GTX 200 series have been discontinued so prices will only rise now due to lack of supply. Furthermore, $250 is within spitting range of HD5850s (around $280~300) which with the latest driver updates seem to perform much better and seems to usually be a bit faster than GTX275/285s. Lower power consumption as well DX11 make it a more attractive buy for just a little bit more.

I seriously would suggest you hold out with your 9800GTX+ which should be enough for most games as of now. You should wait for Fermi and then decide for a new card. If you really want to upgrade, check out the latest AMD cards as they offer quite a number of advantages over the now EOL GTX200 series.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    SLI 9800GTX+ will beat a 260. But not a single card.

You have a no-install version of Crysis that streams from a USB stick? Where did you get that and what is the point?

3. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Most pointless thread of the month. Blabbing out loud on what you are going to get, yet not quite going to since the money is an issue, yet maybe going to get in the end is really pointless. Why don't you create a "wonderful ideas.txt" and put it all there, safe from everyone else.

4. Halli

Halli Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX465 Bios 470
    I Thought Warhead was a Multiplayer only Game!?

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Na thats crysis wars.

6. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    zotac/9800GTX+ amp/512 mb
    not 20 % but around 10 %

http://www.guru3d.com/article/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-vga-graphics-performance-review/7

GTX260 = 91
    9800gtx+ = 78

if you try and lower some unnecessary video options you will end up
    with the same results

if u mean this pc then it has less hardware than u said and its lot more expensive

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienwa...6639717&skuId=9573231&st=Alienware &cp=1&lp=5

7. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    In Crysis Warhead, the GTX 260 Core 216 is usually 50-100% faster than the 9800GTX+ depending on the resolution (Palit GTX 260 C216 Sonic review).

8. clairvoyant129

clairvoyant129 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 480 SC+
    Haha what? You chose a game like Call of Duty to compare a rebranded G92 and a GT200?

Choose a game like Crysis, and it will pull ahead by more than 30%

9. Sebasman2

Sebasman2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 465 1GB + 9800 GTX+
    How well would 2 9800 GTX+s in SLI do compared to one GTX 260?

10. razno

razno New Member

You are joking? Right? :nerd:

11. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    lol 100 % faster ? even the gtx 280 is not 100 % faster . now
    we gonna start flaming ?

were did you see that 30 % difference ? its only around 10 or 12 fps
    faster here or there and would be leveled just by turning off AA

ure so hot about a low end GT200 lol that will be out dated the same day
    as my high end G92+ will .

12. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    and what the hell is wrong with Call of Duty anyway ?

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    AlienWare are hardly the kings of branded hardware. 4 years ago they had systems worth talking about, these days they've sold out on rubbish parts. Anyone who buys AlienWare have been mugged, simples.

14. Sebasman2

Sebasman2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 465 1GB + 9800 GTX+
    Well, obviously. When I get my second 9800 GTX+, my $600 rig will be superior to Alienware's ~$1500 ****.

15. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    The Palit GTX 260 Core 216 Sonic Crysis WARHEAD review I was referring to. Performance improvement is around 50% at 1280x1024, nearly 70% at 1600x1200 and 1920x1200, and over 150% at 2560x1600.

The proprietary CoD4 engine (which is used in 4, WaW, and MW2) does not accurately show GPU performance at literally all testing resolutions. Performance seems kind of all over the place and not following the trend formed by all the other games (most likely a software bottleneck for this specific engine). Every other game in the Palit review shows a definitive performance improvement, some far more than in Crysis and some less.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010

16. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Alienware is trash. DigitalStorm is excellent. I can attest to that.
    Alienware was bought my DELL and became just as trashy as its parent company.

17. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    cant argue with that but there is some factors to consider :

1_ this is not a normal 260 gtx card as we can see here there is
    numerous upgrades that were made for it . while we are comparing to
    normal stock 9800gtx+ .

http://guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-260-sp216-sonic-review--test/7

quoted from the review :

With the Palit GeForce GTX 260 Sonic SP216 edition, we believe a GTX 260 graphics card can't get any better. Why? Get this; custom board design, 896MB GDDR3 memory, 216 Shader processor version, custom dual-fan cooler, custom higher clock frequencies and due to that cooler, immense overclocking capabilities.
    Palit has decided to use a brawny cooler with two large fans to keep the card chilled down, even when overclocked, which this card is at default. The Sonic suffix means that the card comes overclocked from factory. Palit's uses a dual fan cooling system with two PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation) fans and three heat-pipes to provide decent performance.

2_ weather its 50% or 100 % or even 1000% the deference is still around
    10 to 15 fps and can be leveled by taking off anti aliasing . just because they are showing a system hog game being set are at a monstrous high settings that will kill the fps of any system you throw at it , which
    will cause the 10 to 15 fps difference between the 2 cards to be much bigger in value if you measure it by percentage .

like for ex if we benchmark a game where both cards doing over 50 fps
    the 10 fps you are talking about will not present a 50 % difference
    in value but when you are showing me a benchmark were the palit
    is doing 17 fps and u want to measure haw much present it compares
    to a lower card with less memory then you are not seeing the
    whole picture here .

the fact is non of these cards you presented is good enough to play
    that game at such high settings what good it is for me if it was 18 fps
    or 27 fps ? they both gonna suck anyway , game play wise .

note : btw i played Crysis WARHEAD on my old system :

p4 3 gHz prescott ,geforce 6200 xfx 256 mb , 1 gb ram

and i finished it on 800x600 without any issues yes it lagged at times
    but i got the kills

18. idx

idx Banned

GPU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...charts-2009-high-quality/F.E.A.R.-2,1452.html

Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ (512 MB) 70.50

Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB) 79.80

what are you talking about ?its just a step ahead , dont be alone man :puke2:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is a bottleneck software ?
    at least its working properly after the mess we have seen in
    games like far cry 2 and borderlands

19. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    "Custom board design", when referring to the PCB, will not show any inherent performance improvement. "896MB GDDR3 memory, 216 Shader processor version" come standard on all GTX 260 Core 216s. "custom dual-fan cooler" and "immense overclocking capabilities" also have no effect on the performance. The only spec that does improve performance is the higher clock frequencies, although I think that the performance improvement (about ~50MHz core) would not be as exaggerated across the "no-name" GTX 260 Core 216 and this Palit version (the no-name version is probably an NVIDIA reference card).
    The follow-up paragraph describes the fan/heatsink assembly and OC.

... and by removing MSAA, your performance might be equalized, but IQ will suffer. That's why you get a better-performing card.
    A less-system-hog-gy game still shows a good performance improvement by moving to the GTX 260 Core 216. By games, I mean everything else in the review save for Brother's In Arms and Dead Space.

Well, having more VRAM makes the GTX 260 Core 216 a better card in that respect then, as you said. But yeah, if you can pull over 50FPS, your gameplay will be fine with either card. It's when you can't that bugs enthusiasts and thus the need for better GPUs.

~15-20FPS with motion blur on in Crysis is playable for me. It depends on how much you can tolerate. Some people need the magic 30, and some people don't need as much.

I've played Crysis on a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo E4300, ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (overclocked by 100% to Radeon 9600 speeds), 1GB DDR-400 RAM at 800x600 too. That doesn't prove much in the enthusiast field, especially when we're talking about mid-high end G92 and GT200 cards.

According to Tom's Hardware "Sum of all FPS Benchmarks Totals", the performance difference across the charts is around 30%. For AA lovers, the performance improvement overall can be anywhere from that to 50%. For each game, the performance improvement is different. Some games will run at very similar performance between the two cards, and some games will heavily favor the GTX 260. But games never favor the 9800GTX+ simply because it's a slower card.

FC2 and Borderlands have always run stable for me (might be a different story for those on vanilla 1.0).

20. razno

razno New Member

Ok, but slow performance isnt psu problem.