Quick Guru Build Approval Needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cdyknck, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    Hi Everyone! :D

So I just wanted to get a quick approval from you guys on my first ever build. I have been researching for 3 months and finally got the money and picked parts that I want in my new comp. I especially wanna thank deltatux and the guy with the marilyn manson picture for their expertise!

Lemme get a few things out of the way...
    1) This is a Cyberpower build.
    2) I originally went to my local independent pc store for them to build it and they said they could not build this computer for me without it being a couple hundred more for parts and a couple hundred for labor. Bummer.
    3) I would *try* to build it myself but I wanna take advantage of the tax credit for students to buy computers for school. I called my mom's tax person and they said they just need a receipt and my mom will get a tax credit for the amount. Pretty cool if I can get this computer for free! If anyone has definite information about this it would be appreciated.
    4) This computer will be for gaming. Mainly FF14 and possibly wow in the future.
    5) I am not planning to OC until I get more familiar with things, but in the future I would want to.
    6) I wanna keep the price around what it is now, maybe a LITTLE more if it is SUPER necessary

I will be charging this Samsung LED monitor to my BB credit card so I wanted to splurge on the monitor.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...Gray/9511156.p?id=1218118316585&skuId=9511156

TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY

Subtotal=== $1630 With Tax=== $1790
    I live close enough to Cyberpower's office that I can pick it up so I won't have to deal with it being shipped to me or it being shipped back if it doesn't work.
    # CD: Lite-On IHOS 104 4X Blu-Ray Player [+35]
    # CAS: Thermaltake Element-V Gaming Full Tower Case [+103]
    # CASUPGRADE: 12in (Blue Color) Cold Cathode Neon Light [+10]
    # CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans [+15] (Blue Color)
    # CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition [+104]
    # CARE1: Professional Wiring[+19]
    # FREEBIE_CU1: Three-Pack of Games Coupon - Dragon Rising, Grid, And Dirt
    # FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan [-1]
    # FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
    # HDD: Single Hard Drive (150GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache WD1500HLFS [+132])
    # MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte MA790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX 3-Way CrossFireX Support Chipset DDR3 ATX w/ 7.1 HD Dobly Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI [+117]
    # MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+63] (Corsair Dominator [+48])
    # NOISEREDUCE1: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
    # NOISEREDUCE2: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
    # OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    # POWERSUPPLY: Corsair Power Supplies [+101] (750 Watts CMPSU-750TX[+8])
    # SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+30]
    # SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
    # TEMP: Thermal Temperature Color LCD Display [+15] (Black Color)
    # USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    # USBX: NZXT Internal USB Expansion Module [+14]
    # VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+262] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    # WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    CoolerMaster TX3 isnt that great if you are going to be overclocking. A Hyper212 Plus is a small step above if its available. TX3 only has 3 heatpipes I belive, while Hyper212 has 4.
    Specs of the Monitor on BustBuys' site is so off. Should read 5,000,000:1 contrast ratio. I want that monitor too, but I will wait until a larger one is out.
    You are only going to have one small hard drive? I personally think the Raptor is a waste. I would rather have a 500GB or 1TB Caviar Black, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache. I own a 500GB Caviar Black and I love it. First to load in multiplayer games :D

3. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    wow the site is super duper off...
    That one isnt available but i have seen some good stuff on the v8 for 40$ more.
    The hard drive is probably the thing i least understand...
    Would adding a 500GB drive make it work better? or are you saying the raptor itself is a waste and just a wd black would do the job? they dont specify a brand so maybe get the cheapest one and then buy one separate?

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    googling around, I found a bench of the 150GB Raptor
    [​IMG]

and here a bench I just ran of my 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    [​IMG]
    Anyhow a 150GB hard drive would end up being roughly 130GB after Windows install. Caviar Black is the best price and performance out there in my opinion.

5. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    trimming 60$$ by getting the 500 black instead of the 150 raptor sounds good to me. after i get my next cal grant check i am probably going to load more money into this pc so i am gonna guess getting two blacks in raid would be the next upgrade? thanks :)

6. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I will just edit this quote :)

Overall it looks fine, but I think its a bit pricey. You could build this yourself, perhaps a i7 build, for probably a few hundred less, but it'll mean you have to get your hands dirty and assemble it yourself :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Oh yeah that sounds real slick x_x

Get a decent headset or some *real* speakers.

8. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    ok so the black sounds good to me. i am sure i wouldn't notice the difference anyway.
    for 260 less i can get a 4650 and buy a 5850 and then have two cards!
    -60 for the raptor -30 for sound card +50 for asus sound card -260 and get 4650 card +300 and get 5850 card breaks me even! so i am getting a better sound card, just as good hdd, and spare video card. AUFPL!! *awesome in steno-speak

* I will probably charge better speakers to my BB card along with the monitor. I gotta get it up to $500 to get the 18 month no interest!

9. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    You can't crossfire a 4650 and a 5850, if I understand what you stated.

10. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    oh I know that I meant one for extra. you guys are quick to catch things haha
    here is the updated list

Purchasing 1TB WD Black from BB $100
    Purchasing Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus from Amazon $28
    Purchasing ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 from newegg $50

Subtotal $1458 With Tax $1600
    I had to get the video card with them to push it up high enough to get an 80$ discount

1780new-1790original
    Better stuff for the same price. TY! :)

* CD: Lite-On IHOS 104 4X Blu-Ray Player [+35]
    * CAS: Thermaltake Element-V Gaming Full Tower Case [+103]
    * CASUPGRADE: 12in (Blue Color) Cold Cathode Neon Light [+10]
    * CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)
    * CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+104]
    * FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
    * FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
    * HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-2])
    * MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte MA790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX 3-Way CrossFireX Support Chipset DDR3 ATX w/ 7.1 HD Dobly Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI [+117]
    * MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+63] (Corsair Dominator [+48])
    * NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    * OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    * POWERSUPPLY: Corsair Power Supplies [+101] (750 Watts CMPSU-750TX - [+8])
    ITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    * TEMP: Thermal Temperature Color LCD Display [+15] (Black Color)
    * USBX: NZXT Internal USB Expansion Module [+14]
    * VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+262] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    * WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I disagree, I picked up a Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB. It smokes with a 158Mb/sec burst speed, 85 sustained and 15.5MS access time. Only cost $70 as well.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you haven't bought your board yet, I recommend this if there's any stock:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3258

This board version supports SATAIII and USB 3 while the one you quoted only supports SATAII and USB 2.

Also, for your wireless, get a Wireless N dual band adapter. You're going to want to pull your hair out with a Wireless G card. You can't really game on wireless G.

Yep, SAMSUNG makes some mean HDD out there.

deltatux

13. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Get the Samsung SpinPoint F3 (preferably the HD103SJ for larger cache size over the HD502HJ). Amazingly fast 250MB/s burst (real world speed, tests rank it at around 260MB/s) and around half of that sustained in read. Sustained write speed is around 100MB/s, 15-20MB/s faster than the F1 and the VelociRaptor. To top it off, the HD103SJ 1TB model can be found for $85 (Newegg's restocking it on the 12th IIRC).

14. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    I found these benches after looking at the Samsung F3 hd502hj 500GB
    The first is it compared to the WD Caviar Black 500GB

The last is the F3 hd103sj 1TB for 85$
    Samsung FTW!!!
    Thank you superweapons for the tip on newegg getting the hd103sj 1TB on the 12th!!!!! ^_^
    I think I will go with that one. My tvs and surround sound are samsung and they are great and the new monitor is samsung so I wanna stay loyal for how good their products have been to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun stuff!!! XD

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  15. Flamingaxe791

Flamingaxe791 Banned

GPU:
    ATI 5970 2gb 950/1200
    That's a pretty nice mid range rig, if you want to save $300 than build it your self and with the money you save you can buy a 5870 and make your mid range rig into a high end rig, building a rig isn't hard to do if you know how a computer works, read up on it that way you don't have to depend on companies to build your computer and it will save you a lot of money to put on your rig, also its feels better when you build it your self and it boots right up on the first try ;)

16. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Bull, you can and I do.

Curious, though... why are you getting a wireless adapter for your desktop PC? You haven't mentioned anything about that.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I would have got an F3 if Newegg had them in stock when I was buying. They're definitely fast as hell.

18. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    My roommates have dibs on the router downstairs and I am upstairs so I cannot do a wired connection in my room :/ If there is a better way to get internet then I am open to it!
    I would love to try and build it myself... but i want to get my money back through a tax credit they have for college students who buy computers. I dont think the IRS will take all the receipts from newegg and count it as a computer meant for school purposes haha.
    I am waiting for a response from my school as to EXACTLY how the tax credit works... Tax preparer says all they need is a receipt and my mom *who claims me* will get the credit. Which means I get my money back muahahahaha

19. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    150GB single Hard drive ..common !!
    and a 299$ LCD without DVI and HDMI ? again...not good.

20. Cdyknck

Cdyknck Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850
    going with the spinpoint f3.
    and
    [​IMG]