Idle speeds sitting at 75-76C

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MariusNightfire, Jan 8, 2010.

1. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:
    PNY NVidea GEForce 8600GT
    hey there, installed the awesome little app and was watching it for awhile, I was also ran speedfan and both apps showed teh same results so i dont think there is anything wrong here.

at idle, just doing my normal computer business, my chip sits at around 45 with my PNY GeForce 8600 sitting at 75, after gaming for about 20 mins or so my card was up to 97-104.

so ime like paranoid right now, and wondering how i can bring these temps down without having to buy a new card, ive got a side fan blowing in, and a exhaust fan in the back of my case in the middle of a 3 possible fan location spot.

I dont think putting anymore fans in would really make much of a diff, adding another 3 or even 4 fans ( max i could add is 4 or 5 more) will cool the graphs card any more, but i do have extra slots available below my graphs card, if there is some sort of pci slotted cooling device or something,

any thoughts or idea's? i dont wanna pump more then 50 bucks CAD into this, since i am now saving for my next build.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What app are you using?

3. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:
    speedfan and

rivatuner
    and now, gpu-z

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    So you have just become aware of your video card temps, or they just seemed to rise from nowhere?

5. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:
    pretty much just became aware of it. just started playing more grpahic demanding games, and much more often, and after eyeing someone else's rig, i want to overhaul mine, and primary concern was temps. looking to purcahse some aftermarket pci slotted coolers from ebay and increasing the fans in my system to have more airflow, i keep my system well dusted so i know dirt and dust is not a issue with temps. i am adding one mroe fan to the front and one more to the back ( my back of the tower has two cooler fan spots.)

anything else i can do?

6. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    Check the speen of your fan.....cause I had a freind & he had a 4870x2 and at idle it was @ 80 degrees, then I told him to check the fan speed and saw that it was only rotating at 20%........so make sure that the fan speed is set above 60%

7. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    Toasty!!!!

8. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:
    that doesent help much

9. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    Try Rivatuners fan management options, and if it won't work or doesn't help, you would be much better off dismantling and rebuild the GPU with Arctic Silver 5 than getting a rubbish PCI slot fan.

10. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    i am confused about one thing, is this a new card or have you had it for a while? if you have owned it for some time then i would suggest cleaning out the fins on the heatsink with compressed air. also, regardless if its new or old, remove the heatsink and replace the stock TIM with AC5 or MX2. make sure to clean up the old TIM with iso-alcohol.

another app that is good for fan profiles is MSI afterburner, try that out...

11. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    surprisingly no one has said to check if the thing is filled with dust

12. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    i did

13. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    what he said dust buy can of air

or take the heatsink off the gfx card n reapply thermal paste

both r cheap to do

14. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    pfft:nerd:

15. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Replace that heatsink with a vf900 and your temps should drop in half make sure to buy extra ramsinks for the extra chips that are not covered with a heat sink.

16. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:
    just use new thermal paste? and that will bring the temps down? can i replace the heatsink and fan as well?

17. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:
    I've had it for awhile, the fan are sparkeling clean, my whole system is, its cleaned out all the time, as soon as i see any dust on the bottom of the case or in and of the heatsinks or fan finns, its properly cleaned.

18. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU:

are you referring to the Zalman VF900-Cu VGA Heatsink ? will this fit properly on my card?

this sounds like the best thing to do, think if this will sit right on the card, plus another intake fan and exhast fan, this should drop it siginificantly.

dont understand the part about the extra ramsinks for the extra chips that arent covered, what extra chips that arent covered?

19. YELLOL

YELLOL Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX-275 896MB
  20. MariusNightfire

MariusNightfire Member

GPU: