5970 and over heating issues?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by death_samurai, Jan 7, 2010.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Someone in another forum mentioned the vddc temps would reach like 140C when OCed and mentioned like the chips can only withstand 120C or something along those lines.

I seen many of u have 970 speed on ur 5970 on air cooling.

What is this about?

He told me to use GPU Z too cos CCC only meausres the gpu temps and not the vddc temps.

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    All time highest temp? For benchmarking...

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    He mentioned something about vddc or mem temps i guess.

SOme ppl here have clock speed of 970 with 1.27Volts hopefully someone can confirm about this vddc thing.

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    6 of the vddc/vrms sit directly under the fan, which being a sideblower, means its a dead spot for air. these ones often hit 110-120 depending on ambient temps. the 3 that are between the gpus and above the onboard crossfire connector stay arond 80-90 ish last time i checked.

not much you can do aside from removing the shroud, leaving the backplate and baseplate mounted, and then fitting some downblower fans on it.

5. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    It wont do it in games, something like furmark can and most likely will after a while overheat the VRMs.

ATI calls furmark a "power virus" and does not endorse its use and even adds checks in CCC to detect furmark.exe. It puts a card under a greater load than AMD believes to be realistically possible.

6. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    Yup, having this issue as well.

7. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

What u mean to say is that other gaming applications won't stress out the card as much as furmark. It's probably something like intel burn test for the cpu which stresses it at 100% when real applications would never do that.

No wonder furmark made my pc hang when i could complete vantage at 940 clock speed.

Btw are there any measures to prevent this vddc thing from over heating during occing and ur playing a game.

8. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    Once you hit 120c it will automatically throttle down the voltages and clocks.

9. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Yeah you are right it is like intel burn but for GPU's. It wont happen in games, but if you wanted to stop it in furmark you either need to max out the fan or get better cooling on the card and in the case.

Anyway furmark should not make your PC hang, I think you need more core voltage and scale back the memory depending how far you got it.

All it should do when overheating the vrm's is downlock and reduce voltage not crash.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    Since many persons killed HD5xxx because of over-heating VRMs, I don't think so. The GPU will do, but not the VRMs.

11. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Yeah? not heard of any dead cards yet? It only downclocks when the VRM hits 120c.

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Maybe it didn't hang it didn't respond when i pressed the various controls for a few seconds maybe it could run again later i just pressed the reset key.

13. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Hmm i see 2 conflicting posts or maybe only 1 component the gpu will downclock but not the vrm?

Can anyone give confirmation on this?

Once a certain temp is reached both gpu and vrms will downclock or just the gpu?

14. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Just 1 GPU will downclock and the voltage to stock. To 550mhz If I remember right. It downclocks and goes up back to the overclock again like a yoyo. Up, down, up , down.

And I'm sure you need a bit more voltage if furmark is causing your inputs to be unresponsive...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  15. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

okay so the only 1 gpu will downclock the other one remains the same?

What about vram then? Has anyone ever fried his card due to too high an OC? I was thinking it's 5000 series cards surely they have safety measures in place.

As for the furmark test thanks for telling me about the volt thing. I'm still using redline and the max volt is 1.15 not 1.27, i don't think i want to use msi since it did not come with my sapphire. Just don't want to risk it i guess.

16. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    they get VERY hot when OCed....:3eyes:

980/1200 (not my card though)

[​IMG]