LCD question ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jinxjx, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
    Hi there, When selecting a lcd widescreen monitor, is 16:9 the way to go ? It seems that there are more 16:10 poping up. I'm looking at a 22". Even though there are some nice priced 24" out there. I do find the 1920 x 1080 text to be alittle small......Thank you guys.

2. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I have a Samsung 2232BW. 1680x1050 and 16:10 AR. The AR ratio isn't going to make a lot of difference with 99% of the things you use your computer for. The only "issue" is with DVD's and Hi def MP4's. You can either watch them with the little black bars on the screen or you can configure your codecs to resize it and possibly cause a small amount of distortion. Other than that I can't think of any reason not to get 16:10.

3. Lord_Farken

Lord_Farken Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire HD 5970@1000 H20
    games and movie now all supord 1080p and 16x9
    a dell or a asus 24'' is good buy the text size is not a problem , I read my from the bed:)

4. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    If you planing to play games with a 22",I dont think your 6800GS is going to cut it.

5. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
    Oh yea, sorry about that.For gaming. I'm getting my parts together for a new build. Yea, i'm still on this system in my sig with my Q95 optiquest 19"crt...lol.. I can't decide though which to go with, intel i5-750 or amd phenom II X4 955 c3 stepping? With the gigabyte 790xt board for the phenom, theres not that much difference in price. I am into flight sims and also still using papurus nascar racing 2003, which is a cpu hog. The community has kept this racing sim up to date but everything is higher res and more detaialed then ever before. Only recently has anyone been able to run this racing sim to the max settings. This racing sim doesn't take advantage of dual or multiple cores natively but there is a definite performance boost with newer hardware though. I can't decide which platform to go with ??...thanks guys.

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I always like 16:10 monitors. It feels so strange to have to scroll more on websites with a shorter screen. I dont mind the black bars sometimes because on my monitor, they are actually black and not faded gray. In MediaPlayer HomeCinema, I usually use the zooming settings to cut off the black bars and just watch the video slightly zoomed in. You arent missing anything from the video on the sides unless its subtitles.