Firefox 3.5 CPU usage

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by TheBoss84, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    I just tested Firefox and i t does seem to be much snapier and faster than IE8, but what i did notice was ridiculously high Cpu usage. It was around 22% to 25% which is incredibly high in my opinion.

Are you getting the same experience. Which is in your opinion the best browser all around?

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's probably Adblock Plus if you have that installed, as that uses quite a bit of horsepower to run. Stock firefox uses 3% of my CPU.

3. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Running FF 3.5.6 no issue like you are describing. CPU usage rarely goes above 1%

4. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I use adblock plus and it never goes over 8%

5. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    Well yeah, thanks for the feedback. Apparently it is a facebook app that drives my CPU crazy with firefox its running pretty normal right now. Ill try uninstalling adblocker though. Thanks for the suggestion.:)

6. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Facebook used to be superlight on the CPU. Ever since they exploded and added the newsfeed it got heavy on the CPU. I believe its all the scripts and ajax they're running. I have an old 1Ghz PIII I use to tune my car on and periodically I'll pull up a webpage or two. Facebook will peg the CPU to 100% immediately.

7. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896

right...... :3eyes:

op, nab flashblock, and prune your adblock profile back to the eastlist subscription.

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Facebook chat is the cpu intensive portion, it constantly eats around 4-15%.

9. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Yeah that's ridiculous. Its a simple social media networking website. Its an internet page for crying out loud. NO reason their code should be that bloated. It's more CPU intensive than some games. :3eyes:

10. ScorpionHD

ScorpionHD Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870
    Thats why I use Opera 10!

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    By "hard to run" I mean that it uses quite a bit more memory than stock firefox. It's not like I have issues running it lol

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Switched to Chrome and I couldn't be happier... it's so snappy fast and responsive on all sites, not only on Facebook.
    I hope the Adblock, Flashblock and DownThemAll plugins will be ported over to Chrome soon, so I can get rid of Firefox altogether.
    Opera seems to lag in Facebook as well, slow and sluggish.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    On my work PC, Firefox 3.5 is a resource and CPU hog but then this machine only has a single-core CPU. On my home machine with a quad-core i7 and 6 GB of memory even Firefox has trouble bringing that combo to its knees!!! :D

Although I use Firefox 3.5 more out of habit, Safari 4.0 is a very nice browser IMO with very fast page loading times... almost as fast as Chrome but without its annoying right-hand side menus and clumsy download manager. Opera 10 is also great and fast but I find that, like Internet Explorer 8, it doesn't always show web pages correctly on my system.