Hard drive format

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scoter man1, Dec 28, 2009.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I need to format my hard drive to put windows 7 64 bit on. What/how do I format my hard drive? I've tried going into safe mode with command prompt. I entered in Format c: , entered the hard drive label, no go. Is there a program that I can use? I dont have 2 hard drives, only one, and I dont have a floppy drive either.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Just boot from your Windows 7 DVD. You'll be allowed to remove/add partitions on your HD, and then format them, before choosing which one you want to install Windows 7 in.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'm going from 32 bit to 64 bit, isn't that a problem?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You'll get the option to format the drive during the install.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Alright, up and running, thanks for helpin an idiot out guys =D

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hehe....np

7. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    You were never an idiot; if you were an idiot, you wouldn't have asked for advice first.

It is never stupid to ask for advice if you are unsure, and this applies regardless of your level of expertise as there will almost always be someone who knows more than you in what you are asking about. That's what forums like this are for; for people to help each other out as best they can when they need help.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I was just kiddin' man, haha :D

9. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    WD Velociraptor 150gb reformat

Hey guys,

I want to do a clean sweep of my main hard drive. I haven't had this VRaptor long, but this is the first time I have wanted to do a clean install on this drive since I am moving to Win7 HP x64.

I have always used SeaGate drives and the accompanying SeaTools software could be booted from DOS and it allowed you to do a long version format which wrote over the data with a random 0-1 pattern.

I've tried SeaTools with this drive, and it will only allow me to run the Diagnostic features. I have a full version of Acronis Tru Image, but it seems to state it can only "erase" non-OS drives. The WD software doesn't do me much good either as it too seems to only erase non-OS drives.

I know the W7 install allows for a HDD reformat during the process, but for new OS installs I have always preferred to do a CLEAN reformat of the HDD first. This is the first drive I have owned that I cannot do this successfully with an OS currently installed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

cupper24

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Say what....? [​IMG]

Just do a full format using the Windows install disk...

Otherwise you can download UBCD which comes with some very good formatting tools.
    It's free btw...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009

11. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    @cupper24:

"CLEAN reformat"? Just use the Windows 7 installation disk to delete your VRaptor OS partition and quick format a new volume for Windows 7.

Over time, whatever data from your old partition will be overwritten with the files you're writing onto your new partition. I don't see a need to use SeaTools to write empty bytes when just using your computer will overwrite that in no time.