Cannot install Windows 7 64bit.. Screen is stuck at desktop background

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by genecrazy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. genecrazy

genecrazy Guest

I have tried searching for solutions on this site, and around google. so dont flame me pls.

My friend just built his new PC. And he just bought windows 7 for $30 because of the student discount. We downloaded and burned the ISO off of imgburner. And when we put the disc in, the computer is able to read it after POST, and the computer boots the disc, and loads the files just fine.

After it loads the files it hits the windows 7 loading screen, then after that, it loads up the desktop. And it just stops from there. The installation window wont open, and theres absolutely nothing we can do. We're just stuck at looking at the windows 7 default wallpaper.

how can we install windows 7 when no other OS is installed?

2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    How long did you wait during the installation process?

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Sounds to me like the install is corrupted, I've had a similar scenario happen with Windows XP. What most likely happened is that the disc you burned to was bad or you burned the ISO at too fast of a speed (which results in errors sometimes). Try another DVD.

4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    disable any disconnected drive controllers, such as Floppy, for example.

5. Bay

Bay New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS (G92)
    This is most likely the solution. Same happened to me and after giving it some more time, the installation eventually started. I can't say how long I waited since I went to watch TV but lets say at least 10 minutes or so? Maybe a bit longer.

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    its usually caused by an enabled but unattached floppy controller, or USB Card reader.

7. DiEgO

DiEgO Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II
    I waited like 25 minutes! Just go watch something on TV.

8. genecrazy

genecrazy Guest

haha wow. We feel so stupid now. Thanks guys.

Patience is a virtue..lol

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT

You should feel like you didnt get what you paid, not stupid, they were promising 15min install times :puke2:.

Well i cant say anything, they signed an agreement with my university and i have win7 pro license for 2years free =).

10. Bay

Bay New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS (G92)
    Nah, no need to feel like that since I wouldn't usually wait that long either. Especially because the installation window popped up almost immediately in previous installs (W7 beta etc.).

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    The reason I asked is when I went to install, the wait was close to 5 minutes or so. I wondered if something was wrong, then right when I was about to start over, the CD drive came back to life and things went alright after that. Glad you got it going though OP. no need to feel bad or anything. It just happens, dude. :)