How does Witcher DC compare with Dragon Age

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stukov, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I'm trying to decide which of the games in steam deals I want, I was considering Witcher Directors cut, but I would like to know how good it is compared to Dragon Age: Origins.

Thoughts by anyone who has played both? Any else have some certain games they planning on getting that they would suggest?

How is Torchlight?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    The Witcher is simply AWESOME.

Greaaat characters, great voice-acting (In the directors cut) , story is simply on of the best stories ever.

Everything pales compared to Dragon Age.

But gameplay wise it differs pretty much.
    I guess witcher is kind of more action-rpg in combats.

But I would have to say that I really really recommend The Witcher.

Torchlight is kinda "meh" .
    It's fun if you like hack'n'slash.
    However the lack of multiplayer destroys it.

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Hmmm, Witcher does sound tempting though. Some of the games I would really like are just too expensive for a poor guy like me.

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    witcher= action-rpg

dragon age= RTS-rpg

both have great history.

following my own convictions, i would buy witcher bcs the guys who made it, are a small company.

and i would download dao, they are bigger and also took console's cake :banana:

5. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    I'd say buy "The Witcher"
    It's really great game :)
    Was RPG of the year 2008 .

and the sequel is in the works and looks even more spectacular ! :D

6. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I've got all 3, the witcher, dragon age and touchlight :)

Dragon age is a fantastic RPG and if you like Diablo then touchlight is great fun too!

as for the witcher...tbh I don't like it. The controls are rubbish in my opinion, was very dissapointed in it.

7. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Which control scheme did you use?

8. q8_devil

q8_devil Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 295
    i have witcher the witcher too but the game is unstable ( had to use crack to made work ) and work like **** on my rig ( gtx 295 sli or single same results )

dragon age on other hand is my favourite game this year and didnt have any problem with it

i bought torchlight but didnt play it yet but i heard good things about it

9. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Torchlight is pretty straight forward hack&slash game .
    But The Witcher and Dragon Age ... they're both excellent in creating believable and immersive world, characters, atmosphere and story. Its just that Dragon Age expands that, giving you choice for more tactical approach, with party, pause button, classes and their specific skills, armors and weapons. Plus bigger world, bigger, deeper and more epic story and quests. Dragon Age would definitely be my recommendation . With the Witcher just slightly behind. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I already have DA, hence why I was asking to have it compared to Witcher and Torchlight.

11. khrl06

khrl06 Guest

I have both and I recommend the Witcher. Great story and atmosphere. The combat system is kinda let down for the game but is ok if you get used to it.
    Torchlight is fun for hack n' slash game but get boring pretty quick.

12. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well, Torchlight is low budget crap, where you just endlessly kill lame ass monsters. So, its hardly comparable to even 1 quest in DA, in terms of quality, substance, story, gameplay, graphics, sound = fun. ( Unless you find mindless left and right clicking fun. )

The Witcher ... Well, its not the most polished or optimized or best looking game out there. But gameplay is ok. You do simple time/reflex based combos. You can also use alchemy to make all kinds of potions and bombs. And you also have some magic. You can have your camera close or far 3th person. Unlike DA, you're playing alone, with pre-built character. It has very good atmosphere, achieved by good sound/music/voice acting, story itself, overall medieval-dark-fantasy, but serious, kinda setting. Story is great, with its own twists and turns. You can also effect its course with the way you make your choices and react with other characters. In similar way to DA ( more or less ). The game is overall much smaller then DA, and shorter also. You will mainly play in Village, Town, Marsh, and a small island. Probably 85-90% of the game is there. It can be boring at times, when you find your self going back and forth through the same locations over and over . But in the end, its worth it. Atleast it was for me :p Made me wish there is a "Witcher 2" so I can continue the story. ( which is in making :) )

13. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    Dude, both are great games but The Witcher is light years ahead of Dragon Age. If you have not played it yet then you must go out and buy it at once. There is no excuse

14. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Get The Witcher DC. It's awesome.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I love both but if it were to choose one I would go for Witcher no doubt, sorry to say but it feels way more alive than Dragon Age.

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    The Witcher is fantastic!

Dragon Age is fun, great fun.

Torchlight is wonderful, I love the game. It's very simple and easy to understand. It's linear and has no story line but it's a hell of a lot of fun, but only if you like the Diablo hack and slash type of game.

I recommend all three but Witcher and Torchlight stand out among those three.

17. vhon05

vhon05 Guest

GPU:
    powercolor 7970
    Witcher all the way man ^_^

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    As much as I tried I could not get into the Witcher. The point and click movements and combat are not my cup of tea tbh.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i got both. played both for a medium time...Dragon Age is more DEEP i guess..and re playability is more than Witcher.

20. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    Go for the Witcher. IMHO It's the best RPG of the last 10 years.