9.12 crash, crash and crash again ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by klambre, Dec 22, 2009.

1. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    I did waste tree days testing a 5870 with 9.12 and 9.12 Hotfix in Windows 7 64bits.

The driver is fast but don´t help if ends always with a crash, is a disaster, I cant play a single game without crashes with grey screens, black screens and freezes ... Fallout3 ... Crysis ... Dirt2 ... COD W@W ...

Dirt2 its unplayable, the game suffers of a strange "slowmotion" in tesselation zones and tons of crashes, I can´t end a single track, once time the game crashes even in the tease 3D screen of the track.

*back to 9.11*

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. tb77

tb77 Member

GPU:
    You should try your system without overclocking frist, before blaming the catalyst 9.12. Prime95 / 3dmark etc. stable does not really mean "stable" - those tests are not usefull. The only usefull test I saw, was a CPU stress tool from Intel, which was used by OEM's (Fujisu Siemens) to test their machines, but this tool never made it to the public.

Thomas

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Having D3Doverrider open and forcing VSync, I've found, causes slow motion in Dirt 2.

4. RoodeOne

RoodeOne Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD5850 @ 1000/1250
    In looking at your clocks (4.038 GHz on your CPU, and 1487 on your memory), it may be that you may have really tried to push the edge of your machine a bit (they are odd numbers). Also, is your memory 1200 rated? You may want to try scaling back a bit to see if the crashes continue.

I have been running a 5850 OC'd to 900/1200 for a while with the 9.12 Hotfix and Win7 64 bit and have had no troubles at all (E8600 @4.4GHz and DDR3-1600 Memory at 1630, 489 Bus). I have also been playing Dirt2, and have had no slowdowns.

5. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    After read some replys reporting grey screens thinked that is a driver problem plus with 9.11 there no crashes ¿? I didn´t thinked that can be a overclok problem lol, I feel like a noob :p

I did a sucessfull test with stock clocks so it was a overclock problem, even so this problem that pass Prime tests without errors at all.

It´s not the CPU but the memory, I wish there best benchmarks for memory :p, now is running with stock memory but CPU overclocked and all works fine, my hand hurts of play Dirt2 :p

I´m not trying a world record, they are old 1GB 1333 DDR3 modules at 9-9-9-24-t1, recently I did try push it to 1500 but This weird memories give me head haches from the first day, out the box the Bios set under voltage by default.

Well is time of a upgrade to 4gb at good speed to run a 1:1 configuration ;), thanks for the replys :)

6. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    I have the same problem as the OP with the 9.12 drivers. I get alot of crashes/PC lock ups while playing Aion. Only drivers that have yet to crash my PC in games with my 4890 are the 9.8 drivers. It seems like ATI is going down hill with the drivers. I am starting to wish i would of stayed with NV and my 8800 GTX. I hate ATI drivers.

7. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Tell me about it crashing when I am surfing the net VPU recovered from what!

To me ATI must employ monkeys as there driver team I mean come on even the sodding hot fix driver does not read my second 5870 just reads 000 and if I run any programs like everest my pc hard locks and if I go back to 9.11 then crossfire is not supported in dirt 2.

ATI make great cards but the drivers are just crap.

8. master2k8

master2k8 Active Member

GPU:
    7950 1.1 Ghz Edition
    it's not Ati Catalyst 9.12, may u check your system, my sytem runs like a rock with a XFX 5970 Black Edition.

M2k :3eyes:

9. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I can confirm many if not all the grey-screen crashes / lock-ups are memory related (the system memory or the video memory). The 5xxx cards seems to be really hard on the memory stability for some reasons.

10. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    I have been getting grey screen crashes and VPU recover on the 9.12 hotfix but not when I am gaming. It happens occasionally to me when I am watching TV in media center or a GPU accelerated video in media player.

I can play system intensive games like GTA4 and Dirt2 for hours without a problem. I think it might be a problem with the 2D clocks which could explain why the card bugs out during game menus when the clock is dropped.

Left4dead2 is forever changing the clock speeds during map loading and often it causes my screen to flicker badly when it drops to 2d clocks but it hasn't crashed yet.

Edit- Seems this might be a problem with 9.12 and MSI Afterburner.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Any overclocking software, I think.

But yeah, I confirm, overclocking causes lock ups and crashes in 9.12.

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I second that , my OCed HD4870 has problems with 9.12 , never had such problems before.

-random BSOD when starting DXVA playback
    -screen going black
    -system freeze, then VPU recover , then freeze again ,and then crash.

13. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Its supposed to read 000, as ATI have Ultra Low Power Saving mode now. It is basically telling you your second card is effectively switched off. This is a prime example of user error causing the problem not ATI.

9.12's exposed an unstable overclock on my cards, but I backed off 10 mhz from 930 to 920MHZ and all is stable again.

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    last time i checked, rocks dont run!XP (sorry, just had to say it)

hmm, the only issues im having is with the 9.12 drivers and the adobe 10.1 flash beta. it seems to crash/reboot if i leave any flash videos on fullscreen for more than 5 minutes.

aside from that, it hasnt been too bad. these drivers have been waay more stable than my old nvidia drivers.

15. master2k8

master2k8 Active Member

GPU:
    7950 1.1 Ghz Edition
    I dertermined the Problem with Adobe Flash player 10.1 / 10.2 if hard acceleration is enabled in another application /game it could cause crashes, but must of these lockups are related to overclocking or powersaving where the GPU or the RAM don't like these low Values, some chips getting unstable within only 157 mhz core clock (or the ram) ... ++ if switching back from idle to load .. reactivating the 2nd core, there's way too much load for many NT's so the will say i can't hold my voltages stable and the crash is there. I', happy to say that i've got no Problems, i use Flashplayer 10.0 and Win7 x64.

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If anything this thread is showing people DON'T test their CPU/Memory overclocks thoroughly.

17. TARNY

TARNY Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    My system is rock solid..all overclocked and not tested but all games work brilliant.played crysis warhead maxed out for 4 hours today and played dirt 2 most of the nite ...

18. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    My CPU and RAM is fully stable and tested. I get crashes from the GPU at stock clocks in 2D mode when using video acceleration. Flash, GPU accelerated video etc. There is obviously some type of configuation error causing it or software/drivers but it happend after I updated to 9.12.

They are talking about the same issues here. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=311765

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  19. Scoot_er

Scoot_er Member

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 ZNE9
    same to me.....but I use Win7 32bit..
    any idea..... :pc1::wanker:

20. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    I don’t think so I think you are wrong as 9.12 if you read my post correctly said the hot fix of 9.12 reads 000 for the second card but the WHQL 9.12 driver is fine and reads correctly its posted all over the net on different forums and I can say with no doubt the hot fix driver is crap for crossfire or could be fine if not using no software monitoring tools like everest.

Yes I agree with most of you its not games that cause the crash its just when I paste to a note pad I mean come on my brother with is computer he is using XP and a 3870 and he is getting freezes now and again for around 3 secs then it will just run ok but driver 9.11 he had no problems and same for me.

When I had my 3870’s in crossfire over a year ago I remember the same crap happening then when the 4870 came out the new drivers CCC kept crashing all the time then I jumped to NVIDIA with no problems now I am back with ATI and driver problems again if it happens like years ago it will be all fixed by 10.2 driver.

I can live with it only happened twice so no biggie and yes this driver hates overclocking to much.