am3 or 1156

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zoramaso, Dec 20, 2009.

1. zoramaso

zoramaso Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770
    i want to change my processor and motherboard but i dont know what should i take...core i5 750 or amd phenom ii x4 955. What do you recommend and why?

2. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    1156 because it dos more per clock cycle.

3. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA 980 SLI
    1156 CPUs are very competitive with AMD price-wise now and are more efficient.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    AM3 because it performs like the 1156 but has a much better upgrade path. You can go for a hexacore w/ithout buying a new platform if you go AM3. Plus, you can do multi-GPU setup PCIe 2.0 X16 without having to make due w/ the artificial PCIe 2.0 x8 limitation.

deltatux

5. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    IMO more coes =/= better. Too bad cards don't take advantage of the x16 bandwidth.

6. The_Doctor

The_Doctor New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
    Deltatux has got it right.Also it depends on your needs and your budget.An am3 x4 955 BE has got a lot of power,is very overclockable and in combination with a good SSD disk overcomes any performance even by sb who's got a core i7.Now with gpu computing,and directX 11,gpu does most of the gaming,so invest in a good monitor and an SSD disk.CPU is immaterial in getting a serious performance boost whether intel or amd.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    maybe so, but 790fx with sb750 can handle 16x/16x, 16x/8x/8x and 8x/8x/8x/8x crossfires. iirc, p55 chipsets can only do 16x/4x unless the manufacturers make changes to it. last time i checked, 4x pcie2.0 will bottleneck most modern day gpus a fair bit.

if youre only after something for the immediate future, then the i5 is a good choice as you can always upgrade to an i7. but if you want futureproof over the next two years, am3 was listed as the socket of choice for the next generation of amd processors (including the 6 core ones apparently).

8. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Lynnfield is considerably faster clock-for-clock compared to Phenom II; the i5 750 at stock 2.66GHz is just as fast, if not slightly faster than the 965BE at stock 3.4GHz. And both the i5 750 and Phenom II are very overclockable.

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    AM3 for upgrade path, 1156 for immediate gains, more or less. Personally? I don't like what Intel is doing with their sockets. Maintaining three desktop sockets (775, 1156, 1366) for the next couple years is ridiculous. Socket 775 is old hat, 1156 is gimped both in processor design and upgrade path, and 1366 is only sensible if you have a ton of cash or you can find some incredible deals and even then you may have some rather strange quirks to work through. If all you are doing is gaming, AM3 makes more sense in the end. It has better multi-card support, is a guaranteed upgrade path, and the difference between i5 and Phenom II 955/965 is nominal at best in games. Plus you have a distinct chance of saving some good cash.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Is that suppose to mean does not? Use the universal programming sign for does not equal which is != .

That's true, more cores doesn't automatically mean better performance. However, it's still more "future-proof" than let's say stuck with quadcores until you buy a new platform?

deltatux

11. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Definitely AM3 because it's unclear what Intel are doing with their hexacore CPU's. I no longer have faith or trust in Intel because everytime you want to upgrade your CPU you have to buy a new motherboard and this is how they force people to keep buying their chips.

AM3 has been around for quite a while already and AMD are keeping it for another few years. The only adjustment they're making to AM3 is adding triple channel support but it's unknown how that will work out.

12. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Always been more of a math person myself. [​IMG]

AM3 is dated as well. The next CPU's (around 2011) won't use it. By that time he will probably be looking at an upgrade anyways so might as well get whats better now.

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    im pretty sure amd arent gonna put off releasing their next cpus until 2011, because doing so would be suicidal given how many processors intel are planning on announcing/releasing this year.

they'll probably release a few processors in between.

and amd did announce that their bulldozers are being designed for socket am3. so far, that seems better than intel swapping sockets with every new release.

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    I buy a mobo cpu combo always... so it's basically a none issue for me.... when it sucks it's when either the mobo or the cpu dies :D then I'm out of schedule and don't know what to buy lol...

I'd buy the 1156 regardless... I7-860 mmmmm....

15. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    The release of a socket has nothing to do with 'new' CPU's. AMD don't have to release anything new to compete with Intel's lineup. What needs to happen is OEM's selling AMD as well as Intel.

Bulldozer is really interesting when it comes to servers, not so interested on the desktop because they're going to be lower clocked than current quad cores. I'm not really interested in them, unless they bring a real performance increase with them.

16. zoramaso

zoramaso Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770
    what is an SSD disk?

17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Solid State Drive.

18. zoramaso

zoramaso Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770
    so...i think i will get an phenom II X4 955 BE...and a 790FX-GD70 AM3 DDR3

thanks for all the opinions

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oh, that's what you're trying to say.

Also, there's no guarantees that LGA1156/1366 are staying for Sandy Bridge either so it's going to be a small gamble regardless. What's for sure is what's going on next year and that's with the hexacore upgrades.

While I agree that OEMs need to sell more AMD processors, I disagree that they can do it standing still. In this type of market if there's no improvements, even if OEMs did sell their products, no one would want them because they think it's old and plus, they for sure knows that there's a problem if they are standing still in a computer market.

All server parts have lower clockspeeds than their desktop counterparts because longevity and system stability triumphs system throughput on the desktop environment. The desktop components definitely would have higher clocked parts. Bulldozer is interesting in both desktop and server markets.

I'd avoid MSI boards as much as possible, never had good experiences with them.

deltatux

20. zoramaso

zoramaso Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770
    Is the best for AM3 i found in chile (i'm chilean)...what motherboard do you recommend that's on sale in Chile?