nhancer is DANGEROUS!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by northo, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    Reset the BIOS by shorting out the pins on the motherboard with the jumper.

It's normally the jumper closest to the BIOS battery. With your computer turned off, connect the jumper so the pins are connected, then apply the power to the computer and turn on for a few seconds and this will completely reset all of the values in the BIOS to factory state. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power and put the jumper back to its original position.

Now try and start your machine and install windows or whatever it is that you want to do.

e2a: I think nHancer has messed up some of your memory voltages or timings in the BIOS or possibly some other system critical setting.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Ok, I reinstalled back to vista.
    So far everything seems ok.

I will delete the nhancer files in the windows.old folder.

3. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Nhancer isnt dangerous m8, you certainly experimented a PEBCAC :

[​IMG]

4. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    i went months of trying to figure out y performance sux so bad no matter what driver i used with nhancer(i found games stutter more with itimo) ...so i decided to uninstall nhancer n just do profiles threw nv control panel every works way better then using nhancer. Nothing against the program but i never using it again

5. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Wow, look at all the posts from people that just don't have a clue about what nhancer really does and doesn't change.

Best you all read the webfaq because you are all way off base on just what it can and can't modify and some of you seem to have no idea what you are doing with it, to cause performance slowdowns

6. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    lol no clue what it does yeah ok ... It surpose to improve gaming exp.. Did opposite for me made game worst

7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I think he's well aware of what a BSOD is.

He was asking what the error was, specifically.

8. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    u can install windows on same disk without formating. so ull have an "oldwindows" folder where all ur old stuff will be. after u grab everything u want to get from ur old windows folder u just delete it using the system tools disk cleanup. hope this helps.

btw ive never used nhancer. installed it once and caused some problems with something i cant remember so i removed it never installed again. actually I dont even know what is benefit of having nhancer.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Nhancer never messed up my computer at all. Neither the sec computer I had at one time.It has never ruin any install over the years I used it.When I had my 8800GT SLI I found it very very useful for its compabilty flags for SLI. As well for compabilty flags list for AA as well.If you dont use the right SLI compabilty flag for the game your trying to get SLI to work for. It isnt gonna work as fast as it should until you pick a SLI compabilty flag that works the fastest.Like if you knew what engine this game uses and then another game uses the same engine you would use that same compabilty flag Like Unreal engine games.

The point of nhancer is to make your own profiles for games without having to mess with the profile list in nvidia. As well for making your own SLI profiles with the options the program has which is also useful when there isnt any Nvidia profiles.It can also be set so whenever a game is loaded it will use what you have set in the profile for the game then go back to default. The normal nvidia way is annoying as it can get reset and then alot of options that are in nhancer isnt in the nvidia panel I aint about to go thru nvidia panel adding a bunch of games I have which doesnt have a profile or is detected right.

10. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Well I got windows 7 back.

Should I try again?

11. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Its just a piece of software that modify's the quality, and compatibility settings for games.

It doesn't change anything which would make the system unstable, unless the system was already unstable on some level.

no its not, read the freakin site. Its an advanced quality and compatiblity configuration tool.

You just don't have any idea what you are doing with it. Don't blame the application for your own ignorance.

12. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    When the pc turns on hit F8 and chose "Disable auto restart on system fail"

you will then be able to make a note of the BSOD error

13. brz555

brz555 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3x OC
    Made my day!

14. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I only use nhancer if certain games cant use aa or af properly under the nvidia control panel.

yeah I never got a bsod here fars I know.